Do you also play DB?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by foolforthecity, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Yes - finger style (pluck/slap)

2. Yes - bow

3. Yes - both finger style & bow

4. No - never had the desire

5. No - but have thought about it

6. No - would rather eat carrots with peas

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I'm not sure why, but lately I'm developing the urge to get into uprights. I don't really know jack about them but i can't keep from wanting to experiment. I've been toying with the idea of getting an inexpensive EUB like a Stagg to see if it's really something I'd like to grow, but maybe even doing that shows my lack of experience and knowledge in this arena, I don't know.

So with that in mind, feel free to vote so we can all see what the general consensus is. Pardon me if this has been done before, but my inquiring mind wants to know

TalHaz, NJSouth and GKon like this.
  2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    The upright is a terrific instrument that goes as deep as you want (or are able) to take it.

3. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I love playing upright, however I am having shoulder issues lately, and am struggling with even a 34" scale electric...

-robert

4. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I was the same as you. I've played EB for almost 30 years. A couple of years ago I wanted to experiment with UB, but a) didn't have the money to spend on a decent one just to see if I liked it or not and b) I really like uncommon things, so decided to go with an EUB. Also, it fit in with the rock/punk band I had at the time, so I could plug it in and play it on stage.
    I opted for the Harley Benton EUB, same as the Palatino.

I'm VERY happy that I did. Mind you, I took some lessons both online and with a teacher, mainly to learn good technique so as not to hurt myself. It is a completely different animal in regards to fingering notes so as to not cause yourself any damage.

My vote was for Yes-finger style, but I've also bought a bow (german) and am learning to use that as well.

I'm glad that I did it! It's a ton of fun, a whole new thing to learn with a different feel and sound. I enjoy adding it to my repertoire and jamming with it.

NJSouth and Seth Miller like this.
  5. foolforthecity

Roger that to the lessons, and definitely in a face-to-face environment, as I don't even know how to hold the thing, much less manipulate it, and man I can see some serious hurt happening if I started out doing it wrong.

So Harley Benton and Palatino... I'll check those out, thanks for the tip - what rough price range do you think would get me started for the instrument?

GKon likes this.
  6. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    One on one lessons are great but in the interim check out discoverdoublebass.com It's an excellent resource and can help get you started.

If you are in the U.S. it's called a Palatino. In Europe they are sold as Harley Benton through Thomann as their house brand.

I'll warn you that a lot of folks will talk smack about the Palatino/HB because it's an inexpensive Asian made instrument. Unless they've owned and played one don't listen to them.
    Read through the 2 Palatino megathreada. Lots of good, albeit older info from many, many happy Palatino owners. I'm one of them!
    There are several vids on YouTube you can also find.

Don't quote me but about $500 should get you a new one. The stock strings are decent enough to start out on.

Let me know if you have any Palatino specific questions. I'll be happy to answer them.

Mind you there are other good EUB's out there that you can but used for the same money. I happen to prefer the look and features of the Palatino/HB.

foolforthecity likes this.
  7. foolforthecity

Thanks again! I'll check out the website mentioned and start looking around at Palatino to start.

GKon likes this.
  8. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    I own one, but play poorly

9. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I edited my previous post so please read the last paragraph.

Glad to help.

I have to apologize because a quick search shows them going for over $800 new. Ouch!
    I bought mine from Thomann when I lived in Europe for around 400€.
    Thomann ships to the States. I bet it might be cheaper to buy and have shipped through them than you may find it here unless you but used.

10. foolforthecity

Hey, that's still easily within reason for me. What I wasn't sure of was whether I'd be needing dole out $500 or $5000, that's how little I know about all this right now.

GKon likes this.
  11. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Make sure you check out this shop. Large variety.

Tho link is of their UB and EUB selection under $1000
    Upright Basses Under $1000

12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    No, not really. A long time ago a couple of brothers and guitarists I knew who had a family bluegrass band hosted a party. At one point they played a few songs for the guests to sing along with and since their sister/bassist wasn't there I was pressed into service on an instrument I had never touched before or since. It was all in good fun so it wasn't a total disaster. I mean, I had never played any bluegrass before or since either! Lately I have given it some thought although I would probably opt for an EUB if were to actually do it.

13. [WARNING! RANT INCOMING] Not really since I don't own an upright bass but I like to do the plucking and stuff whenever I go to the store. Right now I'd rather save up for a Ric but I love to play those DB's so much! LOL I think they put them on top of these pedestals by the Christmas tree on purpose so I can't use it. They're all okay with it except for one guy who never wants me to play anything. THEN HOW WILL I BUY THE THING IF I CAN'T ENJOY IT?!?! YOUR PLAN IS FLAWED!!!

14. The only thing bass guitar and double bass share is standard tuning.
    Please be prepared for learning a completely different technique in both hands.
    As said above, a few lessons are invaluable.
    I love them both, but not much crosses over between them in repertoire or skill set...or even equipment.
    Strange how different 2 sets of low notes can be.
    EUB is not an intro to double bass, I think - more a fretless bass guitar without a strap. Which is ok too.
    You can get a Kay or Englehardt plywood double bass for $1500 if you look around; many are good instruments. Please have someone knowlegeable help you pick out a good one if you can.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  15. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I've played on them very briefly, but never seriously.

It would take more money than I have--and more space as well.
    And time too.

CatSquare and foolforthecity like this.
  16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    My teacher lent his to my friend and I, and we both pawn it off on each other as we need it. I play it, and can get through gigs, but nothing fancy.
    But do I enjoy playing it?
    No, I don't enjoy playing it whatsoever. It's enormous, a hassle to get around, and I've heard maybe....three upright players whose tone I actually enjoyed?

I know people love it, and that's fine. I still play a handful of gigs a year on it. But I do not like that instrument. Don't even get me started on upright solos...

17. aaronious

aaronious

May 23, 2011
    Denver CO
    If you can get into it, they are great!!! I was the same way. Found out that I'm an electric P bass kinda guy. My suggestion is to check out the places around you that rent them. Make sure it's set up for finger play not bowing and rent one.They can be had for about $100 for a month, it's a great way so see if it's for you without spending too much coin to just go out and buy even a cheap one.

bassfran, NJSouth and foolforthecity like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Playing upright is a blast! I love doing it, even though I'm hardly a great upright player.

19. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    yes. i learned both, pretty much at the same time, through private lessons and high school. college was exclusively upright. i've just gotten back into as the need to has arisen lately... MAN am i rusty, especially with the bow! yeeeeesshhh!

anyway, got through a few jazz gigs and "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" with the thing recently. i did alright.

a few quick tips:
    - don't stand behind it, and don't stand next to it. it should be at a comfortable angle to your body. watch some videos of some pros playing (jazz, orchestral, etc.) and you'll see what i mean.
    - no frets... which i'm sure you already know. :p it's all about left hand positions. 1/2 position is the three notes starting with G# on the G, D# on the D, A# on the A, and F on the E. 1st position starts with A on the G, E on the D, etc. you play three notes per position.
    - you don't use all four left hand fingers independently; you use 1 - 2 - 4, where fingers 3 and 4 work together to play the 4th finger note (last note of a position). this changes in the higher positions (thumb-positions), where you typically switch to 1 - 2 - 3.
    - for jazz style pizzicato (Italian for "plucked"), use a lot of meat from your right hand fingers, ie, use the side of your fingers more than the tips. orchestral pizzicato uses the fingertips, as a standard.

have fun! it's a great instrument. and just like with any instrument, proper technique is important. +1 for lessons.

20. I took piano lessons at 5. I started playing upright at 10, so I have played upright for 53 years now. I am not a great player but I do love the instrument and always have. I play mostly electric now but can get through the usual jazz repertory. If you decide to try to play this instrument get ready to have very sore fingers, arm muscles etc. and let no one fool you it is work, hard work. It can also be very rewarding. Takinging some lessons is very important to get you going in the right direction with good beginning technique and practice skills. And one of the first things I would tell someone starting out is if you're hurting yourself you're probably doing something to long, to hard or just wrong. Take it slow you're body will take time to acclimatize itself to this physical axe. You'll develope callouses and blisters in places you never did on electric. I have my bass set up for jazz and to make it easy for me to play meaning low action which isn't great for bowing, I don't slap. But I don't play it every day. Most guys have higher action than I do some would call it cheating, but hey it works for me. You can even rent a bass from a store that rents band instruments if you just want to try it out for a couple of months to see if you might be interested in getting into it. And if you think a Fodera is expensive, Hahahaha wait till you start looking at good upright prices. But as was stated above $1500-2500 will get you into a perfectly respectable bass that many will keep for years and be happy with. Try it, you might really like it. Then you'll be hanging out over on the other, darker side of TB! Enjoy, the beauty of music is that it is a journey not a destination. Every day's a new day with new lessons to be learned. Music is my life and I love music! (I swear I'm not in sales)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021