Do you also play DB?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by foolforthecity, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Yes - finger style (pluck/slap)

2. Yes - bow

3. Yes - both finger style & bow

4. No - never had the desire

5. No - but have thought about it

6. No - would rather eat carrots with peas

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I resemble lowfreqgeek's remarks....

lowfreqgeek likes this.
  2. bassfran

bassfran Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    Yes- I came late to the party as well and got hold of one after about 20 yrs. on the slab. After the considerable expense of getting it in playable shape it took another 2 years to get anything resembling music out of it. It's a LOT of work but, IMHO, well worth the effort.

After several years away I'm recently (2 mos.) back in my old honky tonk outfit and 'walkin' the dawg' on the regular again. Wished I'd've kept my chops up, but they're slowly coming back. Very thankful I kept it through that long dry spell and may even start looking around for a cheap back-up for travel.

3. I've played electric for a little over 33 years now. I've always wanted to get a DB, but never had the money/space/time-to-learn ... until recently. I bought one advertised locally on OfferUp about a month ago. I started playing it finger style because it didn't come with a bow. I ordered a decent bow from Gollihur a couple weeks ago, as orchestral music is really the goal for me. I already play cello, so bowing wasn't new to me, although playing French grip on a bass is considerably more challenging than on a cello. I've already convinced myself I need to buy a German grip bow.

I can tell you one thing for sure; you'll never get that sound out of any bass guitar. Get one, and dive in. You'll love it.

foolforthecity likes this.
  4. DavC

DavC

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    i do play some nice BD sounds on my keyboards when needed ... !

PaulJSmith likes this.
  5. radioface

radioface

May 2, 2013
    Get a EUB.

6. Odinbass

Odinbass

Dec 6, 2006
    Cleveland, OH
    To play DB you have to really, really, REALLY want 'that sound'. Those things are such a pain in the butt.

$3000 for an 'acceptable' bass. Then setup, strings, bow, case... $$$$. Now you own this human sized instrument and have to lug it everywhere. Then the physical part of playing; so much work and you get that short 'thunk'. Sounds good but it's quickly drowned out by a kitten sneezing. Now you need to amplify it which defeats half the purpose and costs more money. Hooray.

But seriously... to me jazz isn't jazz without 'that sound' and you certainly can't do arco stuff on BG. So it has it's place. But in my opinion the DB is more than instrument, it's a lifestyle choice. Hats off to all you upright guys.

Hahaha, SasquatchDude and vanderbrook like this.
  7. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I really get tired of hearing that an EUB is just a super long scale fretless, it is not. At the very least it is it's own instrument, not a DB, not a BG. I find the sound of certain EUBs to much more akin to a DB. My Ergo EUB certainly sounds good enough go get me plenty of gigs and compliments.

foolforthecity and GKon like this.
  8. Vertigo Jones

Vertigo Jones

Jun 13, 2013
    I recently came to that realization when I bought a new van. The schlep-to-my-gigs factor was a major consideration! Like I said; I got two of those bad boys crammed into my apartment -It definitely forces certain adjustments to my lifestyle! :D I love that sound so much that I wouldn't have it any other way.

foolforthecity and Hahaha like this.
  9. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    I'll echo that. I just played a 3 1/2 hour gig on upright and came away with a blood blister on my right index finger and a sore left forearm. It's much more work than electric bass, and you have to stay in shape if you plan to gig with it. I knew that, but didn't take my own advice to keep my stamina and strength up. Shame on me. Twenty minutes a day isn't enough. But, it's a lot of fun if you're in shape. I love playing it.

Slough Feg Bass likes this.
  10. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    Engelhardt makes a model with a rosewood fingerboard. Probably others too. I haven't read through all the replies, so maybe this has already been said.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  11. Session1969

Session1969 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2010
    Ha ! No doubt. I wish I could have bought the upright, for sure.

foolforthecity and JimmyM like this.
  12. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    Playing jazz on electric bass, I kept trying to get it to sound more and more like and upright, til I snapped and traded an old Strat I had lying around for a a Czech upright. It's a relatively inexpensive instrument for sure, but I love playing it, and I can hardly keep up with the gigs now. Highly recommended. Sell your least favourite electric bass and put the $$ towards a real upright. EUB is fine for pratise or occasional use, but even though it's a PitA to haul around you cant beat a real upright.

13. Garagiste

Garagiste

Feb 16, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    It's a lot of work but can also be more fulfilling (for me) than electric. The pickup is doing all the work on an electric instrument. With an acoustic bass (not EUB), it's so much more the sound of YOU. No pickups, compressors, tube amps, etc. (although I do run my upright through those pedals sometimes when I'm doubling). It's also a very different style of playing. If you are playing Jazz, there is a beauty in "simply" walking good time with a consistent pulse, volume, interesting note choices etc. I think of double bass in Jazz as more of a time-keeping instrument whereas the drums can be more reactive to what is happening rhythmically from the other instruments. Whereas on a Motown-kind of track, the drums are mainly keeping time and the electric bass, by virtue of it's being a guitar and MUCH easier to play can be more rhythmically active. I can tell you that I learn more about music when I'm practicing the double bass because there is more thinking involved, more having to internalize harmonic progressions, really knowing your arpeggios etc. For me electric and upright are both a lot of fun and compliment each other well.

foolforthecity, GKon and Holdsg like this.
  14. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Amen to that, brother!

I also get the "when are you getting a REAL upright bass" questions or the attitude that the EUB is just some sort of toy but not a real instrument.

foolforthecity likes this.
  15. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Cool pic!

16. i used to. alot. studied it in school and schlepped it all around. i gave it up about 5 years ago and have not looked back. it's a cool instrument, but everything about it is a big pita.

17. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have to admit that upright is my main instrument. I started out on cello, and learned jazz on electric bass in high school, then I got an upright bass for free and restored it myself and took some classical lessons on it while in college. As a result, fingering and bowing come pretty naturally to me.

But I think there's no way to justify playing upright bass in practical or economic terms. I could play jazz on electric, and have done so, with no pretense of making it sound like an upright, which I consider to be a fool's errand. Playing upright is an end unto itself. I'm attracted to the sheer absurdity of it, and the satisfaction of making a tiny bit of progress on it, when I can. You have to play what you love. In terms of choosing an instrument, it needs to be good enough that you can develop that love affair.

Sure, it's harder to transport, but it's used in genres that are less gear intensive overall, so maybe it balances out. I do occasionally play without an amp. I was playing for some folk dancers last weekend, and it was just two fiddles and a bass.

CatSquare and Holdsg like this.
  18. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I very rarely get a negative attitude towards mine. One guy(a DB teacher!) said he heard my playing before he saw what I was playing and he couldn't believe the tone I was getting from "that stick with strings". I think good technique and my $300 Spiro strings help :D

19. If you're looking to get into upright make sure you get a few lessons with a qualified teacher. It isn't an instrument that you can teach yourself like guitar or something IMO.

20. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I just started... Like you I was curious.

Borrowed a friends for a while but could not pull the trigger when he was selling it.

Ended up with one of these of eBay:

NS Design CR4M Upright Bass Amber

Love it!

The purchase was a real hassle due to UPS damage but they ended up giving me a partial refund so I ended up with a good deal...

Very different feel than an electric....I am still experimenting.

Played it almost exclusively for a Christmas show we did and it sure made some of the classics sound great!

Dive in..its fun!

Not sure I will ever be very proficient at it but... Hey... I'm having fun

Holdsg and foolforthecity like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021