Do you also play drums?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by alexclaber, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Well enough that other people call you for gigs as a drummer?

8 vote(s)
  2. Well enough to play on your own demos?

5 vote(s)
  3. Well enough to sit in during loose jams in rehearsals?

21 vote(s)
  4. Or not at all?

9 vote(s)
  1. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Well do you? I can hold down a groove well and play the odd simple fill, but my technique is just so far behind my ideas and understanding (though I plan to rectify that with the imminent purchase of a practice pad and some sticks).

2. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I went for the third one. I play 'em, but not well.
  3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Well, I'd like a poll option somewhere between "not at all" and "i can sit in at rehearsal". I've taken a couple of classes and practice every now and then on my own, but I wouldn't consider myself good enough to actually play a whole tune yet... :)
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love playing drums... self-taught. I mostly do funky kick/snare stuff with the occasional tom fill. I work on weird stuff like stupid hi-hat tricks and hitting the ride cymbal on the 'and' only. I've never been good enough to gig... just jam.
  5. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Just took a gig as a drummer, I'll be working with a Stick player...

Does that make me a traitor?
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thank you sir, I most certainly did!

We had our first Stick/drum jam Wednesday night, and I had the time of my life! This guy is great, and he has some awesome basses.

This is the first time I've drummed and had to fight the distraction of constantly trying to watch what the bass player is doing. For a couple of songs, he is switching between Stick and Steinie (wearing both) and he's playing keys, bass pedals, and mixing the PA simultaneously!

I'm not worthy!

I feel like a teenager again, probably because I'm having to go back and relearn all those Rush tunes I grew up on.
  7. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I was a drummer in my last band But now I'm back to playing bass. I'm better at bass, but not bad at drums either.
  8. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    cool! Another V-drummer. Aren't they great on a gig?
  9. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

yep....with Naked Jungle I play acoustic drums while I'm playing bass (tapping). I also use my MIDI setup to play drums and percussion parts. Sometimes I loop drums or bass parts and play over it all.
  10. i played drums for a little while before i picked up bass (which was obviously the way to go :cool: ) but i can still kinda hold down a beat. i wasn't ever too great at drums. actually, when i tried my hand at drums for the first time since quitting, after a year or two of bass-playing only, i was actually better. weird...
  11. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Hell yeah, they definitely rock and sound amazing through a good sound system. But mainly I got them for our smaller gigs so I could turn the volume down, something you obviously can't do on an acoustic set.
  12. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I love it! You can rumble the rafters or take it easy and the patrons in even the small clubs can still hear themselves converse.

I think they're very crowd-friendly, and frankly we haven't had that many purist 'acoustic only' drummers give much flak. Some, but not much.

There's just no substitute for being able to turn down your cymbals!

here's mine, minus a few pads I've added recently:
  13. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Great kit xush! And, gives me a chance to post a pic of my more modest setup... :)

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I played drums for 16 years before taking up Bass. Ive had a few calls looking for a drummer, but Ive turned them down. I havent played drums in probably five years, but still have my set(8 piece double bass Pearl, with Zildjian and Sabian cymbals).
  15. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    sure I play drums, Bongos, Tablas, frame drums, but anything with more than 2 at once gets tricky!
  16. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    I only play like doumbeks/djempes and congas and stuff...sets confuse the hell out of me. And plus my friend is making me a doumbek for free! Can't wait till its finnished
  17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

I love love love love V-drums...and thats the tastiest V-drum kit I've ever seen....drooooool
  18. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I play drums, I've been playing drums for maybe 6 or 7 years(I've been playing bass for 5) but I never took drums as seriuosly as I take bass.

I know a bunch of grooves and would feel comfortable playing in front of people.

but I mainyl play drummers theraputically(sp?)
    when I'm stressed I go in and play(read: not banging the hell out of them, just playing)

I also love hand percussion
  19. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    That's interesting, I've always done a bit of that myself. Unfortunately, I did bang a little too hard in my punk rock days and krunked up 2 kits that way.

Now I've got it down to economy of motion, and I like the heck out of playing. Really liking the new Roland cymbals, they feel pretty good.

My dad got me a dumbek a few years back, but he insists on calling it a dumcluck for some reason...