1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do You Always Buy The Offered Extended Warranty On Electronics?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ZenG, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Or any purchase for that matter...?

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    No....

3. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Never.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Nope.

5. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Nobody does this.

6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Never.

Its a hustle like a car dealer selling you floor mats.

DwaynieAD likes this.
  7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Just once...and it paid off.
    (POS Samsung refrigerator from Lowe's).
    In spite of that, I agree with the previous guys.

That said, I do keep the appliance insurance for the house in-effect.
    $400/year. Pretty much pays for itself & it offers some piece of mind as a bonus.
    YMMV.

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

9. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No.

10. INTP

INTP

Nov 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Never.

And the reason is....

The failure pattern for nearly all products is 'U' shaped. That is, they either fail early on (manufacturer defects) or after some years of use. The regular warranty covers the first part of the failure curve, so you're covered for initial defects. The problem with extended warranties is that they extend the coverage to the part of the curve that is the lowest, i.e. the least likely time for there to be a problem.

CatSquare and bassplayer2014 like this.
  11. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Nein!

12. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Normally no. I did buy it with a used Ampeg PF head I bought at guitar center. When I had problems with the head all I had to do was call and they refunded the purchase price and I didn't even have to send them the bum head. So it did pay off in that scenario.

13. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Never in over 3 decades of having them offered to me, with one exception.

Bought a set of top shelf washer and dryer with all the new (meaning unproven) electronics, etc. Got such a deep discount, I splurged for the extended warranty.

It paid off, both took a dump after original warranty + 9 months, would have paid more for the service calls than going out and buying new.

FWIW, I spent a lot of formative years in retail, and yes, extened warranties are pushed for a reason. They are pure profit. 3rd party almost always service the contract if needed.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Depends on the product for me, and a few other variables. The variables could be the cost to buy new, how long I think I'll keep it, how much I know about fixing it myself.
    Washer and clothes dryer, yes. A tv or computer, no. Fridge, yes. Power tools, no.

-Mike

15. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Central Coast, CA
    No thank you.

16. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Abso-fricken-lutley! I happen to be a shutterbug with some semi-expensive camera gear and an extra 25 bucks or so to get three years protection (drops, water damage, etc) on cameras is a no brainer.

Apple care was $250 for my laptop. Still worth it, it's insurance if the unthinkable happens.

Insurance on my new smartphone $10/month, worth it too, a buddy of mine had his iphone go bonkers just out of warranty, and then his son dropped his in the bathtub. Neither covered, they'll still be paying for those for the next year and a half, ouch!

For most other lower priced stuff i don't.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  17. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The iPhone insurance thing is a bunch of nonsense, at least from Verizon. They use a third-party company. You have to pay 150 bucks to get a new phone. Your new phone isn't even a new phone. It's someone else's broken phone that was refurbished which in a lot of cases just means a new screen, which isn't even an OEM screen and probably hasn't been installed correctly. It's battery might have half its life left in recharges. Who knows what else might've happened to it. Breaking your phone sucks but all it takes is some vigilance and you won't have that problem. You're better off paying a little electronics shop to repair it, or sell it broken (you can still get a decent amount of money) and buy something used online.

18. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    The big print giveth, the fine print taketh away. Looks like I got a $150 deductible too, and a "certified or reburshished" replacement. After some thought not worth it on the cell phone.

19. never

20. Will_White

Will_White

Jul 1, 2011
    Salem, OR
    Nope, and I heard a comedian (I forget who) say it best, if I need the extended warranty because it's going to break I don't want.