do you always remember your knob settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by todostusmuertos, Mar 11, 2004.

1. todostusmuertos

Feb 26, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have a hard time remembering my eq and effects settings everytime I move and set up my equipment, so I was wondering if you guys mark you notches on your amps and effects pedals or do you guys just remember where everything goes.
    I always have to tweak everything and I don't want to do it with a marker but I thought it'd be cool if you could use some kind of glow in the dark little stickers. Do they make anything like that for this kind of stuff?
  2. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I have an outline of the controls for my amp on paper. I them mark the settings on that. That way I can set the amp back the way I want without marking it up.
  3. basss

basss Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2001
    I find that I need to tweak the amp differently to accomodate the various rooms that I play in. I know generally what I like but sometimes I need to go against what I usally do EQ-wise in order to get a decent sound in certain rooms. A preordained EQ setting would be pretty hit or miss for me which is why I recently changed to an amp with a more flexible EQ (Iamp 500 - uberflexy).
  4. I have most of the settings memorized but still need to tweak them sometimes. I have two vintage svt's from the same era but sound different (one has 12DW7's one has 12AX7's) the one amp usually has everything set flat which is always a good starting point. I've seen grease pencil used which should be easy to remove. Some guitar players in the 70's used to try and hide their amp settings. Sounds a little paranoid to me.
  5. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    Well, I'm with basss on this one--your EQ settings should vary with every room you play in. It can still have the basic "shape", but all rooms will have different tonal characteristics.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ahhhh, yes ... another advantage of Eden equipment. I set everything flat with the enhance knob at 9:00 a.m. Most EQ is done from the bass. My life is perfect.
  7. ojthesimpson

Jul 21, 2003
    Draper, UT
    I have a GK and a Sansamp DI...... it's not rocket science remembering my EQ settings.
    I do have a few combinations for different sized shows/settings. ... I also have them memorized.
    lucky me
    My guitar players have 6 pedals each. They have to write down their different mixes for each song.
  8. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I find the same advantage to my Ampeg equipment. :)
  10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Well, my BassTriaxis stores my eq settings digitally, so no problems there. That said, I usually remember my EQ settings anyway, because I have a general tone I go for in all my amps. Turn the treble down a bit. Boost the mids and bass a smidge, viola!
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Regardless of that is sounds like?

Read my sig.
  12. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Onboards take care of what's needed otherwise with few exceptions. I have a Lightwave that has consistently given me some hell historically but since I've changed strings, it seems to be leveling out. But otherwise, I make changes in pups or electronics in a bass till I get it where it's enjoyable to play. I jack with settings on the bass with some frequency and I don't remember those. Which is okay cause I like different sounds different times anyway. Every once in a while I'll write something down. I just stuck a musicman man pup in a bass and plugged it into a NTMB that I made into an outboard and it sounded impressive enough at the time to make note. But, it's been a while since I've done that.

So basically, yeh. That will be changing cause I'm getting into some passive pups with no onboards wiring volumes only.
  13. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Fortunately, in my old age I manage to remember most of my settings even with running two different combinations of heads and cabs separately (iAMP 800 & EA CXL 12L and Eden wt-550 & 2-10XLTs) and at least three different brands of active basses.

But like MUNJI said, Eden heads are pretty easy... just leave everything flat and enhance at 9 o'clock. :rolleyes:

I've seen pics of some rigs where people placed these skinny strips of tape on the face of their amp head for remembering their favored tone controls settings. I may have to use that technique someday soon.
  14. Same here. Besides, my old Kickbacks knobs used to rub against my leg while I was carrying it, so the settings were always lost - my new rig doesn´t have that problem though. I never write anything down, but I have pretty good idea what knob does what so dialing in a good tone doesn´t take long.

My settings also depend on whether I´m connected to PA. If so, I usually take out some bottom end (to avoid phase problems) and boost highs so I can hear all the squeaks and rattles, not to mention wrong notes.