1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you answer questions like these?

Discussion in 'Ask Janek Gwizdala' started by LLroomtempJ, Mar 23, 2009.

1. LLroomtempJ

LLroomtempJ

Mar 23, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I was studying this solo of yours and i was curious to know what you did between 1:07 and 1:08.

If you don't answer questions like these, I fully understand.

Jason

2. Sorax

Sorax

Sep 9, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Kickin' on the keyboard style yo ;)

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think he took a breath during that second.

4. LLroomtempJ

LLroomtempJ

Mar 23, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    i'm new to this forum. I usually post on musicplayer and holyculture.net.

I'm not sure of what to expect in terms of sarcasm and the like over here (was your response sarcasm?)

If my question is really an unreasonable question (or in violation of forum etiquette), please let me know.

Between 1:07 and 1:08, he hit 2 or 3 chords (or chord sounding things) pretty quickly. My ear is not as discerning as I would like it to be, so i figured that it couldn't hurt to ask for help.

jason

5. Hi LLroomtempJ,

Don't let the joke offend you. Janek is playing G-Ab-G-F-Eb-F with a Bb on top. The phrasing is what makes the lick. Also, you need that extra 25th fret to play it in this octave!

Hope this helps you out,

-GB-

6. adri24an

adri24an

Nov 2, 2007
    Madrid, Spain
    Endorsing Artist: TC Electronic Amps, Ernie Ball Strings, Monocases
    well, i think you can do it with 24 frets playing the Bb in 15th fret of the G string and the G-Ab-... in 19th-20th-... frets of the C string! :hyper:

anyway i'm afraid it's gonna be harder that if you had a bass with more than 24 frets...

7. LLroomtempJ

LLroomtempJ

Mar 23, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    thanks a lot, guys.

The phrasing is the hardest part. I never heard of janek prior to watching this video on youtube.

What i was most intrigued by was his use of different harmonies in his soloing (the part where he was singing with himself comes to mind) and his phrasing. I don't think that I'll get that (the phrasing) down without a good deal of practice.

i'm moving to nyc in a few month, maybe i'll run into janek on the music circuit.

8. janekbass

janekbass

Jan 28, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Founder and CEO of http://janeksbassstudio.com
    I think it was just a chord right? Eb triad sounding vibe...?

never really thought about it.

And yeah, if you're in NYC I'll be playing May 15th at the 55bar with the great Bob Reynolds, and probably a few other gigs that week too..... will post more once I get off the road in Europe and figure them out.

Easy,

Janek

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    To me it sounds like:

F G Bb G F Eb F