Do you any of you know what bass was used in school of rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Turbo, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Turbo

Mar 17, 2004
    That bass sounded great :bassist: (or at least I thought)
  2. AZNBassist

Jan 14, 2004
    it looked a like a gibson or epiphone, or at least dats wut I think. didnt sound that great, since the little girl wuz just playing the root, like almost all bassists do when playing rock
  3. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I immediately recognized the instrument and the context it referenced.

Due to the signiture headstock shape along with
    'button' tuners, pots mounted on the pickguard, and most especially the unusual bridge ---
    shows that it is a
    Framus Star Bass

The exact same used by Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones circa 1964/65.

A.K.A. "The Rolling Stone" model.

Same string anchor, binding, pickguard pot mounts, etc, etc...

An omage to an iconic rock bass legend.

The Bass Player never talks?
    No backup vocals?
    Hardly moves?
    No solo?
    Always the background?
    Chewing gum? - e.g.- Bill Wyman.

Wyman soon began playing short-scale, hollowbody Framus Star basses.
    "They were the only ones in the shops with necks as narrow as my fretless," he explains.
    "And the boys liked the sound of 'em onstage; they cut through but were still boomy.
    It was shaped like a Les Paul bass..."

--from Bill Wyman: Black and Blue
    by Gregory Isola

Copies of the famous Framus were made by Kay and Harmony.
  4. that movie made me mad. At the end everyone had a solo but her. And the whole time there was no attention directed at the bassist. ...Grr. And bass is nothing like a cello.
  5. Oh Yeah?

What rock do you listen too?
  6. I was dissapointed also.
  7. Basho

Basho Guest

I was watching that with some friends and when he gave her the bass I said, 'But what about the tuning?' I then had to explain to them the differences between a cello and a bass.
  8. gavintheguy

gavintheguy Guest

Feb 5, 2004
  9. appler

appler Guest

my friends freaked out when I started ranting about cello being tuned in fifths and the lowest string being a C and so on...
  10. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    I caught the tuning issue right away and informed my wife, who cared less than my 3 month old baby...but I was shocked that Jack would let that one slide...specially in a movie about music education (sort of)

And how bout the rhythm guitar player from "No Vacancy"...I have actually known gtr players like that...exactly!

Was totally freaked when my wife says "hey, where's the bass solo?" just as I was about to.

Lot of laughs though, and oh so many memories....
  11. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada
    Actually, the more I look at the Guitars at the beginning of this post, the more differences I notice

for instance, the pickguards are totally different, and look how much further the pickup sticks out from the neck at least 1/2 inch distance overall.

I noticed most (if not all, main shot ones) of the axes in the movie were Gibson, and their logo appears behind No Vacancy. And as I know the movie biz and the Advertising biz, I smell a sponsorship of sorts, which would most likely mean we are looking for a Gibson.

Hope this helps
  12. Introvox

May 21, 2001
    Ontario, Canada

how do I post the actual pic here?

Here we go...this is from an interview with the kids

Did you guys get to keep the instruments?

(A big sigh comes from three of them)

REBECCA, KEVIN, JOEY: (looking sad) No.

JOEY: We all use Gibson guitars in the movie so we’re thinking sponsorship here.

(Major laughter)

JOEY: Quote that in your magazines. We want sponsorship from Gibson!

so we are now offically looking for a Gibson
  13. I thought it was an old Harmony - because of the colour - that black/yellowy sort of sunburst was typical of their guitars.
  14. AZNBassist

Jan 14, 2004
    sorry, when i said rock, i meant like punk rock, or at least the kind of rock jack black played in the least the girl wuz good enuf to play with her fingers instead of using a pick the whole time like all those other ppl (for instance, mark hoppus)

i agree, that movie pissed me off
    - in the jam session at the end, everyone but the bassist got a solo, even the backup vocalists
    - a cello is not a bass
    - the girl barely says anything throughout the entire movie
    - when jack black is showing the class videos, theres only videos of guitarists and drummers...
  15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    why are picks looked down upon in comparision to fingers? Picks give a different sound and more sounds are always good. A versatile bassist should be able to do both.

Great bassists have used picks and great guitarists have used their fingers so there really is no standard rule for either. So why is it pick bassists are looked down upon?
  16. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Stupid stereotypes and inaccuracy in a Hollywood flick? Why I never!
  17. i hated that the bassist didnt get a solo but EVERYONE ELSE DID! that was the thing that pissed me off the most, i also hate when ppl say stuff like "bass is so easy, anyone can play it." That movie really made me mad, it was like prejeduce against bassist everywhere.
  18. Tell Lemmy your thoughts on may just get a close-up of all those rings of his. ;)
  19. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Guys you need to chill. THe reason for this is that THE GIRL COULDNT PALY BASS> If there WAS a solo it woulda been dubbed in, and that would of been impressive. Not.