1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you believe in love at first sight? "new" stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by capnjim, Sep 18, 2008.

1. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Good ole craigslist. man when I saw this bass, I got goosebumps. Not sure what to call the color as its see thru. The owner was going to strip it down so i got it just in time.

2. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Heres a couple more. Serial number is 34304. Funny thing is its on the bridge, I thought ernie ball number were on the backplate? It must be one of the first Ernie ball's.

3. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    That bass has some major mojo going for it.
    I don't believe in love at first sight. Great tone will have you looking past the surface and keep you coming back to an instrument time and time again.

4. mynan

mynan

Nov 7, 2007
    Grand Haven, MI
  5. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    The color is trans white...very cool. Love the birds eye neck too. String are the originals believe it or not. The guy bought the bass new and never changed strings. Granted, he hadn't played it in ten years.

6. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    In the late 80's & early 90's Ernie Ball offered many limited edition custom colors. We sold as many as Musicmans and custom colored models that we could get our hands on. I believe trans-white was one of the limited edition colors. A few other custom colors were seafoam green and peach. Tony Levin is pictured with his peach colored 5-string in the Bassbone ad.

Nice find!

7. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    I got it for 800$..the guy wouldn't stop apologizing for the horrible condition and kept on saying I should just strip off the finish.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    The back of that neck is gorgeous, flat-out gorgeous.

I would be figuring out a way to play that thing backwards so everyone in the crowd can see how pretty it is...

Definitely "used" but for $800 and if it's rare I'd say you got a pretty sweet deal.

9. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's an awesome 'Ray for sure! $800 very well spent indeed.:)

10. i think the finish is sexy the way it is....

MOJO!

11. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    That's super... congrats. I paid £600 for my '77 in 94 so I reckon you got a bargain.

How does it play/sound?

12. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Beautiful bass! But if it were me, I'd slap a tort or black p/g on it. I don't care for the red, but that's just me. I do love that white with the maple board...

13. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    That baby has got some major mojo going on, the figuring on the neck is sick. Great price too.