1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you believe modding is more common

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LCW, Apr 10, 2009.

1. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I was just sitting back thinking that almost everyone mods a bass in some way , wether its for looks or playablity. Well nowadays you can find vinatge fenders with no mods , but do you think that will be as likely in the future? Its just something on my mind , i know mods became very common in the 1970's but today its almost every bass.

2. JoeyZ

JoeyZ

May 9, 2005
    The variety of parts you can get today makes it very easy to upgrade your instrument cheaply.
    I'm thinking that if that same market had been as prevelant in the 60's-70's we'd have quite a few more vintage mod basses.
    Sign of the times, I guess...Although, maybe we should all buy a fender and keep it stock so when it becomes collectible it'll be worth that much more!!!

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    There are few times I can see modifying an older bass because as the times changed the technology for pups/electronics got much better, or even if you have to shim the neck a bit to make it play better. I can even understand if someone buys an old beater bass or something like that with the intentions of modding it to make it sound and play good again.

What I don't understand is why people go out and spend good money on a new bass only to turn around and mod the pups/preamp, bridge, etc. There are a few exceptions to the rule ex, if you buy an MIM Dlx Active Jazz and want to mod pups/preamp, since the primary tonal difference in these 2 basses are the pups/preamp, it makes some sense, because it's a much less expensive alternative than buying the MIA. But overall, it makes little to no sense to me to buy a new bass only to mod it. To me, like going out and buying a bass that has a tone you don't like. I'm not knocking those that do it because, to each is own, but I just don't really see the logic in it. :confused:

I've honestly never modified any of the basses I've bought because when I buy them I like the way they sound, play, and look, if I didn't then they would not have been purchased.

4. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Yeah i understand what you mean, i rarely mod a bass . I modded a MIM p bass just because i bought it dirt cheap and sold off everything but the body and neck. if i drop a decent amount of cash on a bass i dont plan on modding it. I am 19 and played 6 years had 20 basses in that short amount of time but my most exspensive was like 500-600$

5. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    variety is the spice of life. I just modded my lakland...well almost done. I added a bartolini module wich really opens up the sound in big way.

6. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    I believe mods are good in the way they keep you entertained with your gear, you try stuff, i am totally for modding , i was just wondering if people think its more popular nowadays than it use to be. I only ask because i have only been alive for a short time and dont really know anything about the bass world pre 2003 , i remember when i learned what i fretboard was in 2004 lol i just thought it was a 2 colored neck

7. I question how "unmodified" many of these "vintage" Fenders really are. Back in the day I'd say half the Strats I saw being gigged had a brass nut, or a Floyd Rose or Kahler locking trem, or a Dimarzio humbucker in the bridge, or a combination of all this.

Now given that a REALLY good luthier (I'm not talking yer average local Strat butcher) can fix even radical body routing, such as is needed for a humbucker or a Floyd Rose on a Strat, and make it almost undetectable (if you're willing to pay the cost), I think a lot of these so-called mint and untouched "vintage" axes aren't.

When was the last time you saw a '60's Strat that wasn't bog standard? So where did all those modified ones (and I saw a bunch) end up?

8. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Modding's cool, fun, and a cheaper way to appease GAS, but sometimes you just need to find a bass that nails your needs in every aspect instead of getting one solely to mod it.

9. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Hmmm... I can't see me modding either my Stingray or my SB1000, but my J and P basses are.