Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you believe that earth has been visted by Aliens?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 25, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

This is a serious question i am asking to all of you so i ask that the question be ansered and this thread stay on track.I personaly wouldent be suprised if earth has been visted by Aliens, i just have heard so many accounts of sightings and things of this nature to just right it off. So what do you think?.

2. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I'd say no for various reasons. My reasons would probably create a bunch of acrimonious debate so I'll just leave it at that.

3. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I wanna say no, but I think it's just because I'm not into aliens and the theories.

4. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm also down for a NO. But I will qualify my statement by saying that I don't believe the earth has been visited by the classic example of "aliens" however it's quite possible that through a meteor and/or some other spaceous body that we have been visited by some sort of life, be it simply an organism of some kind.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    This depends on your definition of "alien" and "visiting Earth".

If you mean "did alien beings land on the earth in spaceships etc." - definitely no. Erich von Däniken and the like are snake oil sellers at best or loonies at worst.

If you mean extraterrestrial organic matter landing on earth e.g. via comets is a possible explanation of how life started on earth as described in the following link? This possibility has some plausibility to me.

http://www.seti.org/litu/projects/highlights/clues_to_origin_of_life.html

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Also, if aliens do visit earth, I hope they don't look really stupid like the ones you see drawn all the time with the egg-shaped heads and bigass eyes.

7. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    "The surest sign that intelligent life exist in the universe is that they haven't come here".- Calvin & Hobbes

Do I believe aliens have visted here? As much as I'd like to believe yes probably no, but I do believe in life on other planets. If the universe is as big as man believes, than its much to large to have no other intelligent life elsewhere.

:bag: (they could be watching.....) :D

8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Yes I do, I'm quite a "believer", people often say "oh, not possible due to physics etc" but when the first cars starting driving around people where afraid that your head would explode because of the speed, same thing with the sound barriere, it wasn't breakable too...nowadays we have plains that go Mag 9 (= 9 times the speed of sound). Who knows where our technology (and that of Aliens) might be in a 1000 years? Those visitors might be 1000 and 1000 of years ahead of us, we are too arrogant when it comes to human civilasation. Think about it that way. Ufos have been sighted by so many people (pilots, scientists etc, reliable people too!) that it can't be mass hallucination or weather balloons! Why shouldn't they have visited? Think about it that way.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not sure if they've been here but I think its rediculous to believe that we are alone in this universe.

10. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA

In the same regard, we are constantly discovering things to the contrary as well. IE, Hawking recently gave a speech on his previous conclusions regarding Black Holes essentially "emptying" into another universe. Of which, he has now written a paper disregarding that theory.

I guess I'm quicker to have proof shown to me, rather than believe in something simply because there is no proof to the contrary.

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    But only people who didn't know the physics known at that time believed that. This argument is flawed.

But the physics that stands against it is more firmly seated than ever, whereas no ufo sighting has been proven, especially when you know how easily the eye (and people) can be tricked.

12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Nope. I don't believe in extra terestrials.

13. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes I do. I submit to you exhibit A:

[​IMG]

Sorry, I know you were looking for serious answers.

I guess I haven't given it much thought. I suppose it's possible.

14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium

Maybe, but what about pilots, nasa engineers, astronomers, those people, who do know what they are talking about who saw one? I mean, they do know the difference between Venus and something they can't identify. There have been taken so many pictures, of which lots of fake ones, but how to explain those 5% who can't be identified as fake/weatherballoon/star/weather phenomenon? Heck, there are military radar sightings of Ufo's, so why would the army lie about something like that? Whats the point in creating fake radar sightings? And offcourse, there is alot of mumbo jumbo around there, but there are some things that even scientists can't explain...What does that mean?

And you are right about the first argument, a bit easy indeed, but I don't think it is right to assume we have reached a point of scientific perfection, it is that kind of thinking that holds us back.

15. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I don't know if anybody has heard about Cattle decapitations? Strange buissnes too which throws up alot of questions. What about (some) crop circles? 95% of it is probably fake, 5% can't be explained...

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope.

-Mike

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Doubtful.

18. HiFi

HiFi

Apr 20, 2002
    Anaheim, CA
    I pretty much think 100% can be explained. There's some pretty good evidence to the fact that a small group of people can create the crop circles in a little over a few hours time with precision and without footprints and such evidence.

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    This is a pretty though discussion because everybody seems to have their own sources (including me). I believe it, I won't be judging anyone on the fact that he/she doesn't, just give it a thought before saying NO right away (as with all thinks btw ;) )

20. I met a guy in a cult who claimed that Jesus was an alien, and his ascent to heaven was done by means of spaceship.

Big ol' *** from me :eyebrow: