1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

do you blast the music in the car...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MJ_Sotti, Sep 9, 2019.

1. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    windows down, blow it out?

Still love it. Everyone is walking around with earbuds on anyway...

The day is coming when you go to a concert and they'll be no amps, no FOH. The music will stream on everyone's buds or headphones with everyone in their little cocoon (did i spell that right?) with these stupid things sticking out of their ears.

2. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I sure do!

My son still reminds me his friends thought I was the coolest dad ever after a week of collecting them from tennis camp, betting I'd get them to their house just as the song ended, and blasting out 'Freebird'!
    Nailed it 5 days out of 6.
    By the end of the week they knew every word, and were roaring along as we drove.

(There may possibly have been a few red lights ignored, little old ladies run over, and bicyclists splattered but hey, it's Freebird, right?)

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I play music loud enough for me but I'm not for letting everybody hear my music. I think it's rude honestly.

4. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    Not to mention, it lets out all the AC! :D

I blast my music to a comfortably cool interior. :cool:

5. wmhill

wmhill

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    somewhat on the way to the gig, and just blasting on the way home. In my non-musician time in the car, I run a low volume.

viper4000 likes this.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    You should have seen the looks we got blasting tunes in the car..... my guitar player and I were on our way to a gig, two longhairs with the windows down in a Subaru Forester cranking Frank Sinatra....... :D

mr zee, Eikari, SLIV and 11 others like this.
  7. Once I pulled up beside my boss at the office & was absolutely blasting Damn Yankees - Higher, and the look on his face was priceless.
    That was a long time ago, however.

In the past I'd crank it up & even had a 200 Watt amplifier installed in my new vehicle so I could hear it when I was clipping along at 75 mph with the windows down & the top open.
    I did learn not to do that when I was going to check out music gear, otherwise I'd show up tone-deaf!

The last time I cranked it was when I put in a Rush CD & this was on:

I like to crank old classics on a long drive, like Overkill or Diary of a Madman:

[​IMG]

8. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Often!

Bonus: It instantly silences any of those annoying noises coming from elsewhere in the vehicle that indicate that it may cost me money :D

9. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Nope, I'm trying to keep what's left of my hearing.

10. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I do sometimes.

11. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    On highways yes, in neighborhoods no.

12. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Yes, more than I should.

MJ_Sotti likes this.
  13. ShortyGetLow

ShortyGetLow

Aug 6, 2019
    I mostly blast K-pop.

MattZilla and joker820 like this.
  14. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    In the beater getting to work and back, yes - but really only loud enough for me.

In the Jeep, no. It's a Jeep and I cant hear crap over the exhaust/wind noise without breaking the bank on amps and speakers.

two fingers likes this.
  15. Davebass77

Davebass77 Supporting Member

I hit random, turn it up loud and see where it takes me!

16. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida

Yup. Same here (or hear).

lfmn16 likes this.
  17. sludgetail

sludgetail Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    As I got older the windows went up and the car got loaded with dynaMat so there is no leak or rumble, but the hi fi sound, separates and crossovers, and smaller/shallow 10” sub with tuned box and dedicated amps stayed. I’ve got the box on quick release bananas and it comes out anytime I’m transporting gear.

Nothing like listening to Moving Pictures, AFD, or a Primus record with the sub going. On songs like My Michelle, between the sub and the separates, you can literally hear the pick hitting that E-string and it vibrating against the pickups. As a bassist I love this feeling; same when blasting funk and I can feel it in my gut.

But I definitely don’t keep it up at red lights so as not to pollute other ppl’s drive (or attract any unwanted attention) and I do keep the windows up for sure.

MattZilla, MonetBass and Kubicki Fan like this.
  18. Eighthnoterock

Eighthnoterock Supporting Member

May 25, 2018
    Lynden Washington
    When my wifes not in the car!

lat, bumperbass, DavC and 8 others like this.
  19. Resonance129

Resonance129

Feb 15, 2011
    Georgia
    I generally blast my music unless I'm sitting at a red light, or my dog is in the car with me. Even then sometimes, with the windows down, I crank the sound quite a bit (he loves it).
    Never know what's gonna be flowing out of my car either - could be some crazy heavy groove metal, some old-school R&B, Cuban classics, commercial jingles, cartoon show or video game songs... I just like all of my music loud. Some genres more than others.

sludgetail likes this.
  20. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Oddly enough I only enjoy loud music if I’m making it. I actually don’t prefer to be blasted by it these days.

RiffwRiter, matty1039 and Kubicki Fan like this.