1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

do you blast the music in the car...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MJ_Sotti, Sep 9, 2019.

1. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I don't crank it like I used to but still get asked to turn it down whenever my kids get in the car. In saying that, the eldest (now 18) has just gotten a job with a PA hire and sales company and is starting to get a taste for loud music.

2. Weberman

Weberman

Apr 8, 2014
    Nilbog, Ohio
    Nope. I can still hear, I'm considerate of others, and I like to have at least a little situational awareness.

I've also never thought anything really sounded better when louder. The one possible exception was a mixtape I had with 46 & 2 by TOOL on it. The way I dubbed it appeared to give it this magical amount of compression and harmonics that made it seem to explode out of the speakers when cranked a little - especially at the end (right after the crescendo that followed the drum solo). I wish I could find that tape, and my old truck. Every other combination of format / playback system I have tried fails to get that sound.

MattZilla, lfmn16 and Kubicki Fan like this.
  3. oranje

oranje Living deliciously Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    I love rollin with my 17 year old son in his beat up, POS 2008 White toast Prius, windows down, blasting Chief Keef. Oh, the stink eye we get at the red lights in So Cal. Reminds me of cranking Robin Trower 8 tracks out my POS, quart-of-oil- a day, 68' Camaro when I was 17. Life is a cycle, history is condemned to repeat itself.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  4. AudioTaper

AudioTaper

Sep 23, 2018
    Ha, I have the opposite issue. I know my wife drove the van last because the seat adjust is set on "Hobbit", the AC was left on, and the stereo is cranked way TF up.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    My ears need a break sometimes, on the way home from gigs I listen to talk-radio, or talk style podcasts.

matty1039 and Groove Doctor like this.
  6. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Most times yes, sometimes I like a bit of quiet.
    This week has been the new Tool - Fear Inoculum album.

7. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Yeah I do. Guilty.

8. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    What I gather in the multitude of involuntary field studies regarding subject is: The people with the loudest music blasting have the worst taste in music*. Thus volume and good taste are seemingly inversely proportional.

*That's an objective fact, no use arguing about it!

Seashore, MattZilla, Frank77 and 2 others like this.
  9. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I try not to as much as I used to. I can tell that after 30 years of playing guitar, 10 or so of playing bass, and a lifetime of being a music nut, my hearing is not what it used to be.

I don't roll down the windows and subject others to my musical selections though. I hate that.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  10. LowRick

LowRick

Mar 24, 2019
    Garrelsweer
    I do, but my car hifi system disagrees.... blown up another set of speakers. this time on Pete Shands awesome groove line. That guy keeps costing me money

MattZilla likes this.
  11. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    I never blast my music with the windows open. Those people should be shot. I live in an RV park and very few people have ear buds on. But I have blasted my music with the windows closed for the last 50 years and my hearing is slowing leaving me. My favorite word now is "what?".

wildman2 and mmon77 like this.
  12. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Clearly you live in my neighborhood.

13. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Tonawanda NY
    The volume range in truck only.operates between 26-35. Everything else is considered "off"

MJ_Sotti and LowRick like this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    On the freeway, yes... in town? No.

15. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Despite my large expenditure on high end audio, pa and studio gear, my crappy car stereo is dead stock. I couldn't crank it if I tried.

16. wesonbass

wesonbass

Nov 26, 2012
    Graniteville SC
    Absolutely. I even get a smile on my face when I hear bass booming from someone's car blasting hip hop. (Which I don't really listen to ). But, I would be a hypocrite to get mad. After all, I'm a bass player :bassist:

17. lbbc

lbbc

Sep 25, 2007
    Seaford , DE
    When I'm by myself....yes.

MJ_Sotti likes this.
  18. jfh2112

jfh2112

Jun 18, 2013
    Brookhaven, MS
    This has already happened, at least once. Metallica did a show in Antarctica, and everyone had to wear headphones because no amps were allowed.

19. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Me too. Sometimes I don’t listen to anything on the way home from a gig, I just think.

jerry likes this.
  20. In the Philadelphia area, if you're not blasting music when it's nice out, you're definitely a cop.

MattZilla and MJ_Sotti like this.