1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

do you blast the music in the car...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MJ_Sotti, Sep 9, 2019.

1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Oh, that was music? I thought it was a recording of a distorted kick drum! :)

Nashrakh likes this.
  2. I like to drop the knob every so often, but I don't do it with the windows down, unless I'm on the freeway on a nice day. I turn it down for neighborhoods and towns.

3. No, because imposing your music on others is rude. Plus, playing music at potentially ear-damaging levels just to put on a show thats impresses no one and irritates many is just dumb. Same could be said with bike owners with modified exhaust pipes (and I say this as a biker).

Plus, there seems to be a direct correlation between the volume at which the music is blasted from said car and the poor taste of the vehicle owner. That's actually how we can tell spring has arrived in Canada: When it's warm enough for douchebags to roll down their windows and assault passerbys with their s*** music.

Door County Bass and Mili like this.
  4. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

Nope, never ever. It's NPR all the time for me. Doesn't really sound good cranked up loud.

superblues and matty1039 like this.
  5. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    Only if it's "The Cowboy Song" by Thin Lizzy. Try it, it'll double your horsepower and make you wish you had sidepipes with the baffles blown out.

Quinn Roberts and mmon77 like this.
  6. No because it is not safe. You sacrifice your ability to hear what's happening around your car, which might cost a life or two.

Mili likes this.
  7. No and I do not even listen to metal in the car, I listen to classical music. I live in NJ helps me with the road rage :)

8. Used to. Not sub pumpin' loud however louder than average...then one of my stock speakers blew. Now I listen to it at a above average but reasonable volume.

9. Lichtaffen

Lichtaffen

Sep 29, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I never blast music anymore, mainly because I have a 5 year old with sensitive ears. Most of the time when I’m driving alone there is no sound at all. I kind of like it that way.

It’s funny, I love music as much as I ever have but I just don’t listen to very much these days. I enjoy playing it a lot more than listening to it.

Door County Bass likes this.
  10. MJ_Sotti

MJ_Sotti formerly "Mike in Chicago" Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I do it all the time. All the time. Nobody hears you anymore anyway. I think that's what I was kinda going at here, everyone isolates themselves so much nowadays. But what got me thinking about this "Ruby Soho" came on yesterday, it's 72 and clear and it was turned up to 11.

That's why so many people get attacked and robbed today or even get hit by cars IMHO, everyone has cut off all their senses. Not hearing what's happening around you, staring at your phone with your head down...I've seen guys on motorcycles with ear buds on. Crazy.

11. skyline_01

skyline_01 Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2006
    Lebanon, OH
    Endorsing artist, Nordstrand Audio
    When I'm alone, sure, but I try to be sensitive to others outside the car. That being said, sound in the car is very important to me and I have very slowly put together a fairly nice setup. I'm not talking competition level, but I do have a nice head unit w/Carplay, component midbass and tweeters crossed over actively, a modest subwoofer, and a DSP to take care of fine tuning the eq and time alignment.

I spend a fair amount of time in the car and I love music, so I like to hear what it's supposed to sound like (or get as close as I can).

12. MJ_Sotti

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    Eew

mmon77 likes this.
  13. Not since I was a kid... Nowadays I keep my windows up. I don't care to be forced to listen to others' obnoxious music so I spare them mine. Besides, when in the car, I'm either listening to the set list and practicicing harmonies, or I'm listening to to talk radio.

14. Half of the time it’s Audiobooks and Podcasts, learning heaps from this too.

I have 4-way speakers (tweeters, 2 mid, sub) and 9-Band semi-parametric. It’s clear at low volumes & windows/sunroof shut.... but when I do crank it I feel my bones rattle!!

15. It's kind of a chicken/egg situation: Everybody isolates themselves because too many people have no regard for others. I use public transportation everyday, and I use noise cancelling headphones so I don't have to be subjected to every loud and stupid phone conversation around me (because it's a well-known fact that a rolling bus is the perfect environment to have a phone conversation without having to scream to be heard or asking the person at the other end to repeat a dozen times). Some of these phone conversations start in the lineup waiting for the bus, and aren't done by the time the person gets off. Everyday of the week, at 6:30 am.

People in buses and trains use their phones to play music out loud. Some people don't understand why you're annoyed and ask them to stop watching YouTube videos on your phone in an otherwise quiet restaurant. If it weren't for these idiots I wouldn't need to isolate myself.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  16. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Get some cheap headphones or earbuds. Heck, a set came with my phone.

The people walking or biking around the city with music blasting in their headphones are nuts though. I can't imagine not having any situational awareness like that.

17. In the car and elsewhere it is always NPR and only NPR. Intelligent talk and music. Satisfying and little or no "dumbing down". Unfortunately, this leaves me completely out of touch with contemporary music trends. (but maybe thats good?)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  18. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH
    When the mood hits me I'll turn it waaaay up. But I don't have the windows down or the bass up all the way. Hopefully this minimizes the splash damage.
    And since you mentioned them... I refuse to use earbuds. Bluetooth robs you of sound quality and volume. Wired only for me.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  19. MJ_Sotti

Apr 3, 2011
    Chicago
    I live on a main drag...and the El crosses a couple doors down. It's loud here. And there's a dark alley with the El running through it. Classic urban stuff, so there's lots of stuff to hide behind and I see people walking down the street solo at 1am half bagged with the buds on, face on the screen and they wonder why they get attacked. If I'm on the bus or the El the last thing I do is take the phone out. My heads on a swivel.

Door County Bass and mmon77 like this.
  20. RichardW

RichardW

Feb 25, 2016
    near Philly
    I can't remember where I read an article about this phenomenon already happening--a club where people show up and put on headphones and everyone just dances to whatever they're listening to individually. Sad.