1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

do you blast the music in the car...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MJ_Sotti, Sep 9, 2019.

1. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I do some of my best practicing while driving. I live in a rural area, so not much going on during my drive.

Groove Doctor and Funky Ghost like this.
  2. I did in my youth (car loaded with a sub-woofer) but I believe it had contributed more to my tinnitus than playing in a band. More reasonable volume in the car these days.

3. devnulljp

devnulljp Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2009
    BC, Canada
    Admin on the D*A*M Forum
    That record changed my life!

4. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I actually honed my 3 finger ( was predominantly a 2 finger - finger funk guy or thumb depending ) teq. on my shifter :D

5. Funky Ghost

I was bumping this just yesterday. A few kids at my daughters high school ( I was waiting outside to pick her up ) were enjoying it along with me :D

The bass is legit if you have the sound system ( I do ).

Oddly likes this.
  6. Just go for it

Just go for it SUSPENDED

Feb 8, 2019
    It is a good reference for your own recordings

7. CatchaCuda

CatchaCuda

Feb 3, 2018
    Transfer, PA
    If I'm driving by myself I'll turn it up, maybe crank it if I'm feeling the song. I have a habit of turning down at lights and parking lots. If someone is riding with me I'll only turn it up upon request.

Nothing high end or fancy but I've got a JVC HU, Rockford Fosgate 6.5" drivers front and rear. My factory speakers were junk. Last month I was given a "Boss Audio" (cheap stuff, specs are lies) 2X12" kit. It's too much. The amp is turned way down and I can't decide where exactly I like the LPF. Somewhere between 80-120hz but I can't pinpoint it.

I miss my trunk space. I may have to invest in a decent quality 10" sub and ditch these cheap twelves. I could sure use a couple of tweeters up front too.

Groove Doctor and Funky Ghost like this.
  8. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I started having symptoms of hearing loss pointed out to me in my twenties. As soon as someone stole my car stereo, my hearing recovered. It wasn't weekly gigs, it was daily one-hour there and back commutes with metal pumped as loud as the stereo could go. The deaf of the future have been running around in blacked-out cars, windows rolled up tight, with subs that you can hear two blocks away - something I see a lot less of than I did even five years ago.

Now for me, many cars later, the stereo is either off or on BBC World Service.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Not with the windows down. That's rude.

HolmeBass likes this.
  10. No, not any more. I’v become sensitized to music that is too loud. Windows up, AC on, music at a reasonable but full volume. But hardly “blasting”.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  11. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    I listen to music in my car loud enough I suppose, but almost always windows up. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can handle the sound of driving a car with the windows down at any speed above 40mph. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

12. Funky Ghost

I give up a little trunk space for my sub w/ W3V3s in a ported JL Audio enclosure. It's worth for me though :) I'm running a complete JL audio set up with the class d amp ( monoblock ) for the sub a smaller one for the mids and tweets with a crossover with c3 mids in the front doors and C3 tweets in the pillars.

I like loud but it has to sound good. This sounds excellent. I can play country, classical, rock and funk without any issues.

I used to run the Rockford stuff in the day with kenwood amps but as I got older quality became more and more of a thing.

Groove Doctor and CatchaCuda like this.
  13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I get annoyed when I hear other people doing it. That makes the decision for me pretty simple. It's crazy how that works.

Passinwind likes this.
  14. Door County Bass

Door County Bass DC EMT 663 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Being rather hearing impaired (regular and “selective”) I wear two digital hearing aids. Most reception is of the Bluetooth variety (phone calls, map directions, etc.). When attending musical functions, l can open an app on my iPhone and select the hearing loop provided by the venue. At that point I can also EQ band to my liking.
    Also, I find most music on the car radio disturbs my concentration while driving in congested traffic. So I tend to drive without the radio on (pisses my wife off). If I’m driving solo and need to hear music I’ll Bluetooth something from my music library (I can EQ that, also).

15. Door County Bass

Feb 9, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Very diplomatic.

16. ZAR14

ZAR14

May 15, 2016
    Cleveland,OH
    Oh yes I do....Wife says she knows when I'm almost home, can hear me 5 houses down

17. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Today's city driving is so dangerous, aggressive and stupid that it takes just about all the concentration that I have just to drive my car safely and avoid accidents. Blast music in the car? I try to stay focused. Perhaps while driving through Kansas or Nebraska on the interstate through wheat fields, I might blast music. Not in city traffic!

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Nope.

These days I mostly listen to audiobooks or the dozen or so podcasts I regularly listen to - traffic conditions permitting. Smartphone integration is a wonderful thing. Windows up. Moderate volume.

In the city, or in busy traffic, I just drive.

19. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I don't like to blast music anywhere. I listen at decent levels, but I like my hearing, and I don't like @#$!@ing off others. How do you feel when someone is blasting music YOU don't like?

20. Door County Bass

Feb 9, 2015
    Wisconsin
    You and I are in the minority, unfortunately.