1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

do you blast the music in the car...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MJ_Sotti, Sep 9, 2019.

1. dr doofie

dr doofie

Jul 6, 2017
    Jersey (New)
    Loud enough to sing along to it, windows up...:D

FilterFunk likes this.
  2. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I love to crank this CD up when I'm in my car, which has a great stereo with a sub. It gets my car thumpin. I think most people are surprised when they see a 61 year old guy rather than some young dude.

3. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt

Apr 19, 2019
    Cleveland, OH

I respectfully disagree.

Research: Wired headphones sound better than bluetooth sets

4. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    Yes. Yesterday afternoon driving back home up the Natchez Trace, it was Mountain’s live Twin Peaks album. It is impossible not to crank that up.

Oddly likes this.
  5. mdlewis

mdlewis

Jan 1, 2005
    Boston Metro
    Sorry, no. What happened is that I read an article in a newspaper within the past several weeks about this sort of thing and just did a quick web search to find an example. I don’t know if its anything more than a novelty, but the mere description sent shivers down my spine.

I’ve always felt this was inevitable, as much as I think it’s abominable; ever since the Walkman came on the scene.

About six years or more ago, I played an open mic with a kinda pickup band. The open mic was to advertise a software program that would let you go hear local bands (sic) in a virtual reality-like environment (think Second Life). I thought the idea was very depressing.

6. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Not these days. I'm too sensitive to too loud.

It does remind me of when my son was just a wee one (2-3? he's 17 now). We're all in my wife's car (she blasts it occasionally), and third-born says, "Play Wham!"
    I look at 'er indoors, first-born, and back again. "What?"
    "The Wham!" He says.
    We don't have Wham! I know 'er indoors has George Michael stuff, but not Wham!
    Something clicks with 'er indoors, and she smiles...starts pressing buttons (this was in the days of 6-CD changers).
    Moments later a familiar intro starts.
    "WOW-DER" yells my son. She turns it up. "No....WOWDER!!!!" It's loud.
    He begins to sing along...
    "Early morning Manhattan, Ocean winds blow on the land.
    The Movie-Palace is now undone,
    The all-night watchmen have had their fun......"
    "AND DA WHAM WIES DOWN ON BWORDWAY!!!!!!"

[Speech therapy came a little later. He's very well spoken now.]

wango55 likes this.
  7. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm listening to terrestrial radio 90% of the time in the car. Don't have satellite radio, seldom play CDs, but I do listen to music via FM when i'm in the mood.

I'll turn it up for a specific tune I like, otherwise I keep the volume moderate. I don't need to rock out unless there's something like these tunes on:

Steppenwolf: Born to be Wild, Magic Carpet Ride
    Steve Winwood (Spencer Davis Group): I'm a Man
    Deep Purple: Hard Road
    Sam & Dave: Soul Man, Hold On I'm Coming
    James Brown: I Feel Good, Papa's Got a Brand New Bag, Living in America
    Santana: Black Magic Woman, Soul Sacrifice, Everybody's Everything
    Led Zep: Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love
    Mitch Ryder: Devil in a Blue Dress/Good Golly Miss Molly
    Doors: 20th Century Fox, LA Woman, Riders on the Storm
    Blues Brothers: Sweet Home Chicago, just about anything else....

So you can get a good idea of the decades that I like best. Man, I will have to find that Mitch Ryder tune and play it now....LOVE that!!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Bruiser Stone and Oddly like this.
  8. Bass Ameg

Bass Ameg

Mar 9, 2019
    Sure, Motörhead, Maiden, Priest, ACDC, Ministry, Devin. :)

Aaand: Do Ya Think I'm Sexy by the Revolting Cocks WAS MADE FOR BLASTING!

9. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    certain types of music lend itself better to blasting than others. I actually find classic/hard rock to not be in that category for me.

I once had a music theory professor get annoyed at the class for not already being familiar with a clip he was using as an example - it was the second movement of beethoven 5. in his rant, he kept saying "forget the headphones. loudspeakers. you guys shouldn't be here if you haven't heard this whole thing cracked up to 11"

funny, as i typed that I remembered another class - music history, where the professor insisted that the last 2 movements of berlioz's symphony fantastique "are meant to be blasted"

I agree with both of those - this is another personal favorite to crank up -

so for me it's big, heavy symphonic music. sometimes other stuff... but not too often these days.

10. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm pretty conscious of not having music playing so loud that it will damage my hearing in any way. If my windows are open I tend to turn down the volume when stopped at the lights. :)

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Nope, never felt the need to.

12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Werewolves in London only these days.

Bruiser Stone likes this.
  13. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

Today I did.
    " For Those About to Rock..."

Windows up. Solo driving. 16 speakers.

Today prefer my music clear as opposed to just cranked. Podcasts and Paganini sound equally as fine.

14. Wissen

Wissen

Nov 11, 2007
    Central PA
    I do. My wife and neighbors aren't a fan, but how can you listen to music without being able to feel it?

petrus61 likes this.
  15. somebrains

somebrains Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2017
    I drive a convertible ad live in California, so top is down 300-330ish days a year.

Of course I blast music to hear over the fact I never drive under the speed limit.

16. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yep, especially rap. Actually, I listen to rap almost exclusively when driving if I’m not listening to a podcast. It just seems perfectly tailored for car audio. Rock, etc, I listen to mostly at home, loudly.

17. Matty Koff

Matty Koff

Aug 21, 2014
    Tennessee
    I only blast it if something epic and old comes on the radio.. I think the last time I cranked my vehicle's volume to full Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight was playing on the radio, the impulse to crank the volume for that song in particular is impossible to resist.. had a buddy who kept a James Brown album in my car years back and whenever it was playing the windows were down and the volume cranked. I mean.. who could dislike either example? most of the time I just have the radio on as background noise though and not loud.

18. wango55

wango55 Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2011
    CT
    Ha - same with mine! AC on, music way too loud, and also the gas light is usually on as well.

AudioTaper likes this.
  19. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Agreed. If I'm going to play a song loud, I'll make sure to roll up the windows.

I absolutely hate it when a car drives up near me with windows down, music blasting on some song that I have no interest in and invariably they are using those stupid bass sub-woofer speakers that have no transients, no definition, and nothing but mud and roar. It's exactly opposite of the sound I want in a bass and I hate it.

I realize that my taste in music may not be what the car near me wants to hear though, so I roll up the windows and that will stop most of it.

20. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    When driving through a neighborhood (any neighborhood, mine or anyone else's), no. The volume goes down.

On a more major roads, on through streets, or on the highway, I'll turn it up loud enough to hear the entire mix rather than just hearing the vocals and maybe the cymbals.

Matty Koff likes this.