1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you break strings at gigs often?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Doctor J, May 12, 2006.

1. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Grease
    Just reading through some of the threads here and I have to say I'm kind of surprised by the amount of tales of string breakages. Honestly, I've never broken a string on a bass (or if I have it's been that long ago I can't remember) in almost 20 years of playing. I don't really do any slap and pop (or thump as Larry Graham calls it ;) ) but I've played in metal bands, blues bands, rock bands, pop bands and I've never broken a string onstage. I play pretty hard too. Even on g****r, it's been at least 10 years since I broke one of those weeny strings.

I don't even carry spare strings to gigs because I've never needed one. Are there any serial breakers with tales of woe to share?

2. I broke the core in an E string one night at practice during a Metallica song. I wasn't expecting it and with it just flopping around loose and still attached to tuning post and bridge, it was difficult to get to the other strings..........

BTW........Enter Sandman sounds kinda funny played an octave high!!!!!!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The last time was about a year ago. I broke an A string at the bridge. I was going to change them after the gig, but I guess I pushed the envelope a little too far. :scowl:

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have broken one string in 30 years. It broke at the bridge because of a burr in the saddle.

5. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    I've broken one "D"string in 34 years of playing. I play finger style so that might have something to do with it.

Cheers,
    Jim

6. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    My single worst offense was when I took a running jump off of on the drum riser, cleared the span of the stage (not deep) which has a small riser in the middle of it too. I cleared the monitors and landed on the floor 3 feet down. The band knows I do a big jump, so is literally holding the big note back into the song until my feet hit the ground. I held a chord on my 5 string, and strummed it out when landing. The sheer momentum of the drop made my CUT both the B and E strings (130 and 110) in half. I had 4 string halves swinging in the breeze for the rest of the song.

This is not normal, but it did happen once and was quite the spectacle when if did happen.

7. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    I've broken darn near everything on the market except Elixers...and give me time..
    Tho it's less now that I got a smaller crowbar to use as a plectrum...... shhhhhhhh, I said plectrum

8. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I have never broken a string in nearly 30 years of playing...

MM

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Thankfully never in a gig but during rehersals, I always have a full set of spares and my string winder packed with me, I can change pretty fast, the basic plan is that we let our drummer and guitarist jam whilst I change strings. I can switch basses now I have a couple but I prefer to have the full selection because different basses for different songs are how I do things. The thing is, I slap a reasonable amount but lately I discovered that double thumbing is a real killer too, had a G pretty much explode on me whilst double thumbing last night. Still, I guess it's time to change the whole lot on my four string anyway, it was already on a non-matching spare after the G of my Black Beauties expired after probably over half a year of loyal service. I live with it, the way I like to play with my three piece involves popping and double thumbing and other forms of string abuse so I just have to put up with it. Obviously with my other stuff with the bigger bands then I just play it fingerstyle with a pretty light touch so breaking a string is much less of a concern there for me. Still have my spares along side me though.

10. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    35 years and I have broken exactly ONE string. That was because the roof was leaking & dripping on my left hand. It broke on about the 2nd or 3rd fret. Had no spares, had to run down to the next nightclub and buy one off that bassist. Luckily he had spares! Been carrying spares myself ever since, never needed them... yet!
    On the other hand, my brother, a much better player than me, has broken many. He always carries 2 basses to his gigs and spare strings too. In fact, I gave him my dual stand, cause he had more use for it than I did!

11. thekyle

thekyle

Dec 25, 2005
    Breckenridge, CO
    One in ten years. I had been practicing for three or four hours a day, and hadn't been able to go to Denver in a couple of months. Third note, first song of a show, and the G goes. Whole set with a 3 string. And I did a pretty good job too.

12. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    Ive always wanted to do that but never had the bottle, he he.

13. SOA_bassist

SOA_bassist Guest

May 10, 2006
    when i lose a bit of teh big old belly i plan on doing a to of jumps over stuff and off of stuff. Ill probably try to do straight 16ths while doing it though and totally mess it up lol

14. i tend to break stings at rehearsals, not in gigs.

scary thought: snapping a double bass string. they fly back!

15. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

I've never broken a string while gigging in nearly 25 years of playing.

I did break one at rehearsal once, IIRC, though. Don't remember which one it was, although I think it might have been "A".

dcr

16. juanete

juanete

May 15, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've only broken one string ( E ) during a rehearsal in 11 years playing bass:hyper: . Too sad for the guitar players....LOL

17. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I've broken only 2 strings in the last 45 years. I broke an A string on my Ampeg Scroll head in '69 at rehearsal in a Hollywood studio and it was due to too steep an angle on the string saddle and I broke a G string on a Rickenbacker 4001 unfortunately during an encore at a concert in Detroit, around '73, LoL. I haven't broken any strings since.

George

18. vyse933

vyse933

Mar 31, 2006
    Grand Haven, MI
    uhm..never broken a bass string...but i play guitar for maybe 20 minutes every 3 months....and i've broken 9 guitar strings in total...one resulted from me finding out why guitars don't slap 'n pop, lol.

19. Regi Wooten does it! (but it doesn't sound as well as on bass, though :smug: )

20. Jeff Martinez

Jeff Martinez

May 10, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I've broken 2 during gigs in the last 3 years, and about 5 at rehearsal. And, I change my strings once every 2 months. I don't do much slapping. I know that part of my problem is having my G tuned up to A.