Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you bring your amp/cab when you go to purchase a new bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cassanova, May 1, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    How many of you here actually bring your amp/cab with you when you are ready to purchase a new bass?

I bring my amp/cab when I have the last 2 or 3 basses that Id like to buy figured out. This way I know exactly what tone I can expect.

Youd be suprised at how many people I know (guitarists mostly) that dont do this and then complain that they dont quite have the tone they we're seeking

2. That's a good idea. I bring my bass when I try out new cabs and amps.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Most stores here carry the Fender Bassman series, so I'll plug into one of those and Im right at home.

The one thing I do bring when "test driving" a Bass is my tuner. While most places generally have the strings in tune with each other, often Ive found the Basses to be tuned a half-step down(maybe thats a store strategy to make the Bass feel like it has more low end).

5. I have frequented the same music store for about 20 years, so if I want to try out a bass, I usually can get them to let me take it with me for a couple days, to try out on my rigs.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    No, I usually buy my gear on sale. Sometimes, I don't know what I'm getting until I arrive at the store, but I know it'll be good because I've seen others playing it or at least praising it. I got my Eden 115 that way.

7. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I did once, I had a 2x10 SWR cab and a 2x15 Peavey that I was getting rid of, but I wanted to make sure what ever I got matched the SWR 2x10s good. So I brought my head and 2x10s and ended up getting a 1x15 Trace Elliot. I still have this set up. I love it. However, in retrospect I think I could have picked out the cab just as easy by itself. I usually know exactly what I'm looking for.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Usually if I'm buying a bass I just plug it into the crappiest amp in the store, If it sounds good through crap than it will sound good going through my rig. I listen and play the bass unplugged first, that's how I really can tell if it's the one.
    As for amps and cabs I usually bring my own bass for trying out heads and bring my own head when trying out cabs.

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have been tempted to do that, but I never have. The music store I frequent for strings, cords and accessories lets me take things home to try -- I've tried out effects, a practice amp, etc., this way. Unfortunately, they don't really have any basses that I'm interested in buying. I would LOVE to take one of their Stingrays home/to rehearsal and try it out, but I wouldn't unless I was very serious about buying it. That's about the coolest bass offering the store has, unfortunately.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I don't bring my own. I like the play the bass into as many different amps of varying quality as possible.

11. No. I've never done it, and probably never will.

It's too inconvenient for me.

I'm familiar with the differences in tone of a few amp manufacturers (Fender, Ampeg, Hartke, SWR) so, I think I can imagine how a particular bass will sound through my amp. (Ampeg B100R)
    I always set all controls flat - on the bass and the amp as the reference point, and go from there. When I bought my Stingray, I played it through about twelve different amps of varying size and manufacturer; all I heard were variations of the Stingray tone. From these try-outs I belived I could estimate how this particular 'Ray would sound through my amp, which the store did not have on display.

I bought my Jack Casady bass without ever hearing one live, in fact I've never heard another one live to this day, and was not disappointed with the instrument to say the least. ;)

I also bought my fretless Ibanez without hearing that particular one, although I had played a fretted one two years earlier.

I guess I'm just easy to please.

Mike

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    yeah, that and Stingray's sound like stingrays no matter what you plug them into. I LOVE my stingray, but that's another thread.......

13. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    No. I just try an find the gear there that is most similar to mine and play through that.

14. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    yes, the only time I dont is when the have my model head in stock and I plug into a comperable cab, I got a GKRB400 and an Ampeg cab so they are fairly common and in stock 90% of the time. Its the only way you will know how your tone is plain and simple!

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I tend to try and play an amp that is most similar to mine. Example: When i bought the ashbory way back when [humor me, a few years to me is a long time] i played through the smallest Fender Amp they had-i think it was a BassMan 25.

The StingRay5 the few times i tried them out prior to buying they didn't have a Fender amp so i played 3 different amps [a different one each time] a nice Mesa Boogie Walk About i think it was through either a 2X15 or a 4X10, i forget which-i thought i was going to start drooling in the store even more when i played that rig, i played a TubeWorks 1X15 combo w/just the solid state part [or balanced over to that side], and then i think a Laney Combo amp. I ordered one [a stingray5 from them]. The bass sounded amazing to me still, and it sounds great to me through my Fender BassMan 200-not the same by any means as the Mesa but lots better than the Pilot. I haven't bought enough basses locally in order to have the chance to play with an amp. That's all