Do you buy food from trucks/carts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 3, 2006.

Do you buy food from trucks/carts?

Poll closed Jun 1, 2006.
  1. Yes, frequently

2 vote(s)
  2. Yes, but only occasionally or rarely

19 vote(s)
  3. Never

6 vote(s)
  4. There are no food trucks/carts in my area

7 vote(s)
  1. Most big cities in the world have sidewalk and curbside vendors of food, either from carts or trucks. Even the smallest American towns have ice cream trucks. I personally believe that the best burritos in Los Angeles are on wheels, but most of my fellow gabachos (=whites) think I'm asking for food poisoning.

So I ask, TBers: do you buy food from mobile sources? This includes carrots from vegetable trucks. ;)
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    There actually aren't too many in the area of pasadena I live(which is actually a kinda run down spot that you'd expect to see burrito carts). I've seen a couple, yes, but none are any closer or more convenient than burrito express which is a little burrito joint that has some of the best burritos I've ever had. I have no aversion to burrito carts though, I have certainly had some great food from them.
  3. Where in Pasadena is that? If it's run-down, I'm guessing it's north of Colorado, but I don't remember whether the gnarly parts of Pasadena and Altadena are east or west of Lake.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't do this in England unless you want food poisoning!! :spit:

Besides, if I'm going to eat, then I want to take my time and relax....:confused:

Eat well.
  5. I would think that you'd be more likely to get food poisoning from a mobile vendor in Taiwan or Hong Kong than in England, and yet food carts are an incredibly well-developed part of the culture in those places.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i heard the foodtrucks at cornell were pretty good.
  7. Oh man, Hot Truck. Triple Sui, take it through the garden!
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    West of lake progressively gets ****tier. I live 3 blocks west of lake, and many many blocks north of colorado around the border of Altadena. Burrito Express is east of lake and is in a much nicer area. It's been around for a very long time and is something of a historical spot... I guess. I just like their food.
  9. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Only when I'm constipated. Their food usually gets my, uh, stuff moving. ;)
  10. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    About the only time I do eat from a cart, is when I'm on campus for an Ohio State Football game. The streets are just litered w/ these vendors, & the brats always smell so damn good...
  11. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    I have eaten on occasion. I think about twice actually. It wasn't necessarily bad, just not exactly my first choice.
  12. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006

Oh yeah. I can't go to a baseball game without getting a brat from a street vender. As soon as you get me near the ballpark the smell overwhelms me and it is the first thing I do. That and get a beer of course.
  13. There aren't any in my area, but I go to Manhattan fairly regularly, and whenever I do, I make a point of getting some food from these guys. I love the sidewalk shish-kebob guys...and the knishes....and of course, the almight NYC hotdog. I love 'em.
  14. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    When I was in China the first time, in 1996, one of my friends actually bought and ate what looked like a rat on a stick from a street vendor. I was sure we were going to have to bust out a body bag for the trip home but as far as I know everything went ok.

I recently started a thread with a similar spirit here:

We don't have that many street vendors but there are a lot of broken down, old restaurants around with good chow. Some of the best mexican restaurants around here are like that.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The only time I've considered it, is when I go to Football matches - but I remember once, buying a sort of hot-dog type thing oitside a stadium - but when I bit into the sausage which was burnt on the outside (!) it was raw meat in the middle - like cold meat paste...:meh:

Never again!! :rollno:
  16. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    No, last time when I was at a gig and eating a burger from a cart was the only option (at first sight) I cycled for 30 minutes to buy a descent pizza, and back again to catch the rest of the gig.
  17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    We have a truck (lovingly known as the "Roach Coach") come through the shop everyday. You can get pizza, burgers, hot dogs, donuts, coffee etc from it.

Occasionally I'll get a coffee, but not much else.
  18. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Its funny... i don't know about other countries but in my homeland i am 100% sure that i've eaten rat and all the great stuff because i've eaten of the side carts...

Couldnt tell the diffrence... those things were good... dont care if it was rat or not:)
  19. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I ate all kinds of stuff from street vendors when I was in Beijing. Drank the water, too.... no problems.
  20. When I went to NY I ate some hotdogs off of a vendor.

I'm still alive. :D