Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you call it Practice or Rehearsal????

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by leftundone, Apr 1, 2003.

1. leftundone

leftundone

Mar 14, 2003
    Chicago, IL
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I practice at home by myself. I rehearse with the band.

3. Yea me too. I wish my one guitarist had the same attitude :(

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - these are two different things - you practice on your own and rehearse a band.

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Anybody who is practicing with their band has a huge problem. This is exactly why rehearsals can be unproductive for so many bands.

If it's a cover band, everyone should be doing their homework, and know the tune note for freaking note, AND the entire arrangement. So that rehearsal goes like this:

"Okay guys, Come Together. 1 - 2, 1 - 2 - 3 - 4...."

... and that's it. None of that, "Okay, does anybody have the CD, let's listen to it. What are the chords? Oh, wait, what does he do during that solo?"

If it's an original band, charts should exist, that outline the structure of the song, and tapes are always helpful.

Cover band rehearsals should be 45 minutes, in my opinion. None of the 4 hour crap where you learn the song on the spot. It's a waste of time and I've left many bands because they execute that way.

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    We use both interchangeably when we're just getting together to keep our band chops sharp.

When we say "practice", we mean "band practice". The "band" is implied.

When we have a gig lined up and we have to practice a set, I guess it would be more accurate to call it a rehearsal because that's what it is. We work out when guitar changes are going to occur (like 12 string to 6 string), when to mention the new CD & video and regular banter. We've worked the band intro as part of one of our songs so we can be playing while the intros are being done.

7. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I think the terms are interchangable depending on the situation. You practice your instrument at home, but I think you can practice or rehearse with your band. Getting uptight about whether the drummer calls it practice instead of rehearsal is a waste of time and energy in my opinion.

8. i call it RaWkIn' OuT!!!
    no, but seriously...i just call it practice. one word it hard to remember as it is, w/o throwin' another one into the mix.

9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ditto, except I call it üben [practice] and proben [rehearse].

10. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    When I was 14 I used to uben and proben, but then I discovered girls :bassist:

11. Bruce Lindfield

Well as Jazzbo says, I think this is very important and can be the biggest timewaster for any band in itself!

So if people are "practicing" at rehearsals, then they are wasting the time of anybody who has already done this at home and this is likely to lead to arguments and eventually the split of the band! :(

So - when bands get together they should make sure everybody has already done their practicing at home and that everybody is concentrating on rehearsal - I think ideally you would throw anybody out of the band, who was practicing in rehearsal time!! :mad:

Rehearsal spaces can cost money and it takes up the time of the whole band - whereas practice costs you nothing except your own time, so there is no excuse for not doing it !

12. babecker

babecker

Mar 7, 2002
    Sykesville, MD
    We never call it rehearsal -- it's band practice, at the practice space. "Rehearsal" makes me think of broadway plays or the symphony.

But, whatever floats your boat -- it's just semantics.:D

13. We call it "proben" (which means as much as rehersall) when we are like playing the setlist.
    "Üben" (practice) is when we have new stuff to work on or have finnished it but it need "practice"

KEEP ON PRACTICING AND REHEARSING:bassist:

SCODI:cool:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Well - you're just wrong then!! Misuse of words! ;)

15. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Exactly!:)

16. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    There's a difference between an individual "practicing" at band "practice," and a band "practicing" at band "practice." I agree that learning your part at rehearsal (I'll use the term a lot of people here think is right, to avoid some confusion) is a waste of time for the band. But if everyone knows their parts then I have no problem with someone calling it practice or rehearsal.

Like I said before, practice is something you do at home by yourself. But in a band setting both seem perfectly acceptable to me.

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Yeah we know but there's usually a "guitar player" involved.

As the Bass Player, I have to "show" the guitarists. It's MY job.

Charts?+Guitar players? :confused: Hint: Ask Bassist how it goes.

There is the occasional spontaneous jam where the Guitar player actually knows the "arrangement" of a song, and plays it just to show us. Followed by: "Hey Bass Player, how's that guitar solo go?

18. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I rather UBEN and PROBEN with the girls!!!;) :D

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    we usually call it CANCELLED.

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I agree, you practice at home, rehearse as a whole.

Practicing is doing your homework, learning the required material. When you get together with the band you rehearse it all and work out any kinks. More or less just making it tight and sound together.