do you care how a band tunes? (weird question =D).

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen Soto, Feb 3, 2004.

1. no, whatever sounds good. it's all about the music man!

28 vote(s)
  2. yeah. if band's can't pull it out in standard then somethings wrong.

7 vote(s)
  3. i tune to, C-A-R-R-O-T-S!

12 vote(s)
  1. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    do you guys care how your favorite bands tune (alternate tunings ex. drop D)?
    weird question :bassist:.
  2. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I voted CARROTS. I think you actually just gave me an idea. I'm gonna make up a part tommorow and call it "Prelude in CARROTS!!!!".

Really, who cares what tuning someone uses? If it sounds good, it sounds good.
  3. Not really. If it works it works. When I see or hear korn though, I wonder why they don't just tune down another fourth and stick Fieldy on maracas.
  4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I don't care how other bands tune.... if they're fine with it it's fine with me. However, I was in a band about a year ago who tuned down a full step to D-G-C-F and on about half the songs we would go to drop-C, which I absolutly hated. Eventually I had to switch to very heavy strings to get the tension I needed, and I hated that even more. But hey, whatever :). Other people can do whatever the heck they want.
  5. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    don't like cover bands that tune everything down a halfstep or whole step to accommodate the singer. I auditioned for a band like this: you'd tune up to learn the song (if it was standard tuning on the radio) and tune back down to play it. Royal pain. Get a better singer. If a particular song is in an alternate tuning, sure, i'll retune to play it. But I hate playing songs in a different key than the original, they sound wrong to me.

(note: i've heard professional bands do the wrong-key thing too... for example, you'll never hear Blue Oyster Cult do Reaper in the same key as the studio recording. WHY?)
  6. I'm with Jammadave on this one. I don't mind about bands playing their own songs in low C# as long as it sounds good, but a cover band transposing every single song can be a monumental PITA.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like standard tuning, Drop D, and maybe slight detuning , like mudvayne , but k0rn? no.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well as most of the bands I see, have acoustic pianos, saxophones etc. - I don't think I'll be seeing many of them tuning a half step down!!

Although I saw the great Israeli sax player Gilad Atzmon, improvising a soprano sax solo where he was swapping microtonal phrases with a Palestinian singer!!
  9. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I've heard of some bands recording in one key and have them tuned down in the mixing process. I didn't even know that was possible.

I would also assume that some songs sound better in a different key live as apposed to on disc.

Edit: I wouldn't think that has much to do with tuning, whether it be standard or tuned down...
  10. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I think it's a valid question- I will admit that I looked at down-tuned bands with a certain amount of amusement and scorn about a year ago. Then I joined my current band, and found out that we have to play everything in drop-d tuning. It's something I'm going to get them out of, but I honestly didn't mind it as much as I would.

I think the genre will really dictate whether or not this is acceptable. My main band is indie rock- down tuning isn't a big deal. At my church gig, where I have to work through charts of "church standards" and country/folk music, down tuning would be kind of silly, as it would be with jazz, etc.
  11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I don't care how a band tunes..
  12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I suppose that it doesn't matter how a band tunes - but what would really annoy me is if there was an assumption that I, as the bassplayer was just following what a guitarist was doing and had to match my lines to that - I would definitely not consider being in any band like that!! :meh:

I have no problem transposing on the fly and have played tunes in many different keys - but I have never de-tuned my bass to do this - and as long as nobody expected me to detune, then I wouldn't care what they did, presuming they were good players!
  13. I'm sick of all those nU-m3t4L bands who think that heavy = low. This is total BS. It's just that most of those bands can't play riffs with more than 3 notes, so they compensate their lack of talent by detuning their 7-string guitars. :spit:
  14. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Why would tuning matter? :confused:
  15. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Funny. Mudvayne often detunes more than Korn. Korn is usually in A (well, D, but they use those 7 strings) and Mudvayne is usually in C or C# I believe.
  16. But A is lower than C and C#...
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    On a 6, yeah. On a 7 string, not all that much. A 7 string guitar (like they use) has an added B string. They drop this down one step for A. Hearing both side to side, (hearing, not nessicarily technically or scietifically), C sounds every bit as low, if not a bit woolier than an A.

Mudvayne drops down two steps for C, and in Ryan Martini's case, down to G on his 5 strings.

While the A is indeed lower, Korn doesn't make consistent use of it (I unfortunately know, due to a few friends insistance on loving the band...), while Mudvayne does use it's Cs quite a bit.

Shucks, I think Staind and Deftones tune lower than Korn anyway.

A lot of that is production, with the sub-bass detunings. I've regularly played with bands that tune to B on a regular E string, and it doesn't sound any different in them mix than a drop D.
  18. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    No, I hate when they use 5,6 string basses.
    Tune doesn't bother me I have a tuner:)
  19. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Yes and no. A little drop D or something like that is fine, but when you start tuning down 4 or 5 semitones then that isjust too much.
  20. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    My band tunes to Drop C, for no reason, whatsoever. Oh wait, I know why, to turn my bass tone into muddy, loose sounding mess...

Well it's not THAT bad, but i'm trying to get them to go the Drop D route...