1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you carry a knife/tool daily? (EDC)?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by J. Crawford, May 30, 2012.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Ive been wondering, do you carry a knife or tool daily, and if so why? Im sure there have been threads about this before, but I like to get personal opinions rather than old ideas.

I bought the Gerber folding Bear Grylls knife a few months as a starter knife and fell in love but its a tad too big for me to comfortably carry on person (especially since i usually wear gym shorts or sweatpants [college student]). I was thinking of snagging something like the CRKT Extric-8-R, solely for survival situations and such. Im a "just in case" kinda guy.

2. Absolutely, can't believe so many people don't!

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    Song Surgeon slow downer.
    I usually do. Never know when you need to open a package.:ninja:

4. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Pray tell, what kind of survival situations do you run into wearing shorts and sweats on a college campus?

5. iJazz

iJazz

Jan 9, 2012
    Sussex, WI
    I always have a Victorinox with me. The tiny little one with the short blade, nail file, scissors, tweezers, and tooth pick. I still have the old Bijou unit which they not longer make, TTBOMK. It doesn't have the little bump with the hole for a key ring. I'm on my last one of several I had received as promo items from Minolta when I was in the camera business many years ago. I think I've been carrying one for almost 40 years now.

iJazz - I may be old, but I'll always be sharp, thanks to my Victorinox.

6. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I can vouch on the quality of CRKT. I've had my brothers on me at work and daily whathaveyou for the last three years and with a sharpening every once in a while, its still awesome. It has also not come loose at all during that time either.

7. Yup, the good old Swiss Army Knife "Champ" with 32 tools. I don't take it out with me, but I use it at home pretty much every day.

8. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    I carry my folding Wustof. Great for just about everything except the ability to pry. Stays Sharp for a good amount of time; I only have to stone it once a month. German steel is a good thing. :)

9. Have you not noticed that 'Going Postal' has morphed into 'Going educational'
    Ask the kids at Columbine what they think........

10. notverygood

notverygood

Feb 11, 2010
    I usually carry either carry my Leatherman Wave, or an old timer folding knife.

11. Always. a Husky folding razor, but I install car audio/security and deal with store deliveries.

12. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    I've always carried a good knife, and most often had cause to. Sometimes a good Swiss Army Knife, sometimes a Buck, and lately a Spyderco Native. Every one I've used; I can't imagine not. Furthermore, I wonder how there are people who can't use some sort of knife? It's a tool, not a weapon, and has been since people were people.
    Of my Swiss Army Knives, I've used the can openers, the bottle openers, scissors, I've repaired basses with the screwdrivers and pliers, used the toothpicks and tweezers on all kinds of stuff (!). I always just considered the pocketknife to be a useful tool and never understood how it could not be, having used it so very many times in my life.

13. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I carry a custom made folding knife. I probably would not have as nice of one as I do, but a friend gave it to me. He made knives, and he gave me a prototype.

I also have a leatherman in each of my vehicles

14. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    USA
    I carry a quick flip open folding knife with a 3-1/2" blade. Nothing special I don't think but it's sharp and holds a razors edge for quite a while depending on use.

I've always carried some kinda multi tool of some kind in my vehicle or on my motorcycles.

And of coarse the most important tool of all that is ALWAYS on the belt,
    Springfield Armory EMP .40 S&W-1911 + 2 extra mags.

With people snorting bath salts and meth and having delusions and eating each others faces I like to be prepared for whatever may come my way.

15. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    I prefer the S&W 629 magna classic in the center console of my pickup

I do not have to let the weirdos get as close;)

16. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I EDC a Microtech UT-85 which, is perfect.

Next best is a Benchmade 581 that's a little hefty but will get just spooky sharp and stay that way.

17. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Carry these two:

Browning Obsession 1blade folding knife:
    [​IMG]
    Small and light, good knife.

Buck knife Alpha hunter folding with a hook:
    [​IMG]

bit bigger and heavy, which i like. (they also have one with out the hook) It's a buck knife, you gotta sharpen them a lot. :)

I also have one of these:

Browning Obsession folding with a hook:
    322710.jpg
    Same as the first one but i am not big fan of the 2nd blade, makes it slippery. It's my backup knife

Original buck knife:
    [​IMG]

Original buck knife, i like it. It's a mid between the buck knife with a hook and the browning. You gotta love it, it's amazing. :) They have like 3 different sizes. I have few ones. :)

18. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    Ah, now we have a good knife thread going!
    Nothing like a good Buck 110 folder or a 119 Special! Even my Ka-Bar has to take second place to the 119.
    I used to have one of the BIG old Bucks they don't make any more but I gave it to my brother so he can hunt elk with it.

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I carry a spyderco when I'm guarding. Not wise to bring to my teaching gig though.

20. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    The Spyderco is the superhero EDC.