Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you change your strings one at a time?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Kurt M., Oct 29, 2004.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    I've actually never followed this rule. My reason is that I like to clean (and oil depending) my fret board as well as polish the fret wire with 0000 steel wool. I've never seemed to have a problem but I'm just wondering how many feel the need to go 1 by 1.

2. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I change them 1 at a time. My teacher doesn't and does the same as you. Shouldn't hurt the neck or anything but I just do it to aviod any possible problems or need to readjust the truss.

3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Agreed. Guess I wait too long to change strings so the whole cleaning thing becomes a necessity. I change about every 2 months unless something special comes along like studio recording or the like.

Thanks for the reply.

4. bassmatik

bassmatik

Oct 19, 2004
    i change them all at the same time, so that i can give the fingerboard a good cleaning/oiling.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I usually change them one at a time so I can get a rough adjustment with the other strings. But I have replaced all the strings at once. Since I have to loosen all the strings to adjust the truss rod, I can't see how it would hurt either way.

6. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I only break strings one at a time.

7. I usually do 2 and 2, clean half the fretboard and then replace strings.

8. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    You shouldn't have to do that, unless the strings are in the way. I always try to "help" my truss rod along. I prop the bass between my knees and try to push or pull the neck the same direction that I'm adjusting the truss rod.

Especially since there are some many basses with so many strings nowadays, I'm an advocate of one string at a time. Clean the fretboard in sections as you go along if you need to. I figure, if the neck is finally where you like it, why would you encourage it to have to be adjusted?

9. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I change 1 at a time, though I dont see why changing all at once would do any harm as long as it is done in a reasonably short amount of time.

I wipe down my strings and fretboard everytime Im done playing and wash my hands before I pick it up, so when I eventually change strings there is no real need to do much cleaning. I have never had any problem cleaning/oiling while changing one at a time.

:edit: I know this is already in the forum, but maybe it will provide some basic set-up help.

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bass/bassmanual/setupmanual.html

10. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    They are :( For tightening the truss, I always loosen the strings. For minor adjustments I just remove the pickguard (some people gouge it out) and angle the screwdriver. But for major adjustments (such as going from/to Fender flats) I like to do it right and partially remove the neck. For this you have to loosen the strings.

11. I change strings one at a time, but if I'm cleaning the board (something I don't do anymore) I would take them all off.

I can't think of any other times I would remove all the strings at the same time.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im the same.