Do you check preamp settings in pictures?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vic, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Yeah, I totally scope their settings... the grass might be greener!

83 vote(s)
  2. Nah, I already know what I like... just enjoy the pic!

72 vote(s)
  1. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ok, just how snoopy are you? When viewing other peoples gig and or gear pics, do you check their knob settings (and maybe even amp settings if possible) to see how they set their gear... especially if you own something similar?

This is more about curiosity than it is trying to dupe someone else's tone, 'cause if you were really trying to do that, you'd have to do a LOT more than set a few knobs on something. :)

Anyway, it's more like, if it's a setting you've never tried before, would you, or are you so satisfied with what you got, you're just not interested or curious at all?

Personally, I'm snoopy... especially if they have a bass like mine... I'll try the settings in the pic and see what it sounds like for me. :)
  2. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I definitely check people's setting whenever pictures are posted.

Not for any malicious reasons or anythign, just curious. :smug:
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm very guilty of doing this. :crying:
  4. RLT

Jul 10, 2004
    South Central OH
    Hey they might just have a better ideal!
  5. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Checking out someone elses knob settings on their bass may prove useless as you dont have any reference for the setting. Which way is it pointing when its all the way on/off?
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I have never even thought of doing this- it doesn't sound all the productive considering teh variety of amps, basses, and that I've meddled with my setting plenty myself.
  7. Well eqs i definitly see what other people are doing with their settings...
  8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    If I can see them, I'm paying attention.

Most of the time in manufacturer's ad's they show the smiley-face eq, which is useless for my style.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, by sheer coincidence, I tend to leave all my gear flat, so when I take pictures, it's not just for the picture.

Cept my Peavey Ultra 60. That's not flat, it's pretty much the only piece of gear I have that's not.

But, I don't so much look a the settings, as the gear itself. "Well, that's a Sabine tuner, Furman power condition, dbx something or other, and...shoot. What is that? ADA? No, crap, what is that?"

If you post pics, label the parts, people!
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, that's advertising psychology. The smiely face EQ makes the merchandise "happy" or "smiling" and more inviting that a flat, or frowny face EQ. THey do this with clocks. They're almost always at like, 2:50 or some such, or "happy time."

Fun, the stuff you pick up, innit?
  11. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    guilty as charged. its always nice to try something different!
  12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    To the relevant posters:

Sure, it's not always possible to tell, dome knobs, what if they moved'em, etc... but the question assumes you can tell (otherwise obviously, it's moot). In some cases, you really can. I was looking at such a pic which is why I thougth of this poll. It was an MTD 535, stock knobs, VERY clearly visible settings, and I doubt most (if any) people reorient knobs... at least in my case, it's just not that big of a deal to leave them as is.

The point is, I don't mean to be foolish enough to suggest this is a reliable way to try and dupe someone's overall tone. Just a question of "curiosity". Personally, I've done this, but also realize that, even if I did have sound to go with the pic, the sound I get from my fingers, my bass, and my amp may very likely be quite different.

I will say this, tho, I expected the results to be more lopsided towards "Nah". :)
  13. I never have tried that but I'm going to start riiiiiiiiiiiight.......NOW!
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Heh, I'm famous for having controls that work the reverse of normal. Not all of them, just a few random examples. That'll foil yer evil plot...[​IMG]
  15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Heh heh heh. Whenever I take pics of my amps and basses, I always move the knobs to weird positions. Suckers.
  16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Never did it, never will. I have my sound. I more often than not leave all flat, but do tweak to the room if needed. Furthermore, I can't tell from a picture what kind of music, what kind of strings, speakers, tone from fingers, etc. And even if I could, I know what I want my playing to sound like.
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    What follows is my opinion, so take it as that.

I think it's a silly thing to do to try to get someone's tone by replicating the knob settings on their basses or amps.
    1.) Sometimes, the eq has to be set accordingly to the room - if you go home, try it, it will not sound the same. If it was set so because of a bad room, you shouldn't use it as your default setting for every scenario. Or, if you have to play in a bad room, you won't know what to do when "the tone that sounded sooo good in the bedroom" has gone awfully boomy and horrible
    2.) My technique, my fingers, my tone =/= your technique, your fingers, your tone (also bass, body-, neck-, fb-wood, electronics, strings, amp, state of tubes, cab, etc etc)
    3.) If you don't discover it for yourself, you will not learn to know what sounds good to you, and which settings go well with your band, or how to set the tone when you encounter a bad room.
  18. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i think Frank nailed this one ...
  19. Darn, I voted yes, but I misread the question. I thought it was about checking others' gear, but I guess almost everyone is guilty of this one! :p

No, I don't usually check others' settings, except if the person has a question or a comment regarding his/her tone.
  20. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Exactly. I tried to address this in my earlier post/clarification. I really never imagined anyone would take this poll to that level. Your points about the settings being dependent on the environment they're playing in, their technique, etc., etc., dead on of course!

Holy cow, I really never intended someone to take this as a suggested way to try and dupe someone's sound. That's just crazy. To be honest, I'm very surprised some felt the need to even post about it, as it should be obvious... at least IMHO.

Again, it's just more a matter of curiosity... like "hmmm, never tried that particular combo/setting, wonder what it'd sound like for me"... that's really very simply and precisely the spirit of the question/poll and this thread... nothing more... really!

Maybe I shoulda' stomped my foot and said this wasn't intended to be a scientific thing. I guess I didn't expect this thread to be taken this level of scrutiny. Yeah, ok, maybe I forgot where I was... :)