Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you compress¿?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Samie, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Do you compress you DB signal on live gigs? It was imposible for me to get a nice defined sound once the drummer and the percussion started rolling. The only solution was to raise my volume more and more. Still not quite getting it.

I tried yesterday my basspd with some compression through the the line in of my ashdown 310ABMC with wonderful results. I was getting twice de definition at a quater of the volume.

I am sure it was the compression, i was using the k&k maxbass with the preamp preset and highs and lows cut back.

Lots of fun.

2. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    It would be a rare occurance for a DBist to use a compressor, so generally, the answer is no.

Do you get a "nice defined sound" unamplified first?

3. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    yeah, i get a nice defined pizz sound unamplified. Red spiros. Amplified sounds good until the drummers start making noise.

maybe its my amp, these Ashdowns have huge warmed lows which are great on a EB but might be mudding up the Db sound.

I was afraid you would say no! :crying:

4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    NYC
    Try fiddling with the controls of the amp. Try positioning the cabinet in different places, at different angles. And.........(drum roll) is the situation infested with LDS? (Loud Drummer Syndrome)

5. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have very good results with my K&K Bass Max into a PreSonus Blue Max Compressor (I use the Fretted 1 preset) into an Avalon U5 to a QSC PLX 1202 to a Bergantino HT112 cab.

6. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    When I get into those situations I just want to buy a EUB.

7. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Its more like the CLDS (crazy, loud,drummer, syndrome). :D

The K&K sounds great and its not heavy metal volume but since I usually call the changes, people are counting on hear me clearly. (I like to think that anyways). I used to resolve it by cranking up the lows and just playing half position, 100% rocket launcher lows. :bag: Better stay away from the direct path of the amp.

The basspd's compressor worked fine so I will keep using it, now I can command and conquer at a much lower level. People just followed, even the drummer :eyebrow:

So I just wanted to know how many of you actually compress your signal. The sound is really great, very close to what it sounds like unamplified in my practice room, very acoustic like.

I am sure that patitucci and other compress, I am pretty sure of that after I have tried it.

BTW I am an absolute 0% adjusting eq's on the bass amp, I dont have the patients. I really hate doing it. That is part of the prob I guess.

But now I am happy, I will keep testing the set up with the basspd and see.

8. I tried it on a couple of gigs. It was a very mild compression, I thought. Then I played a buddies recital and a guy in the crowd came right up and asked me about it. Picked it right out.
    Guess it wasnt as subtle as I thought....

Like everything else, it probably depends on the sound your going for and the surroundings. If your going for what I call the "big dark hump" sound, where your really holding the bottom, then probably no compression. If your really worried about everyone being able to discern the notes your playing and or love to show off your bass' growl, go for it.

Was there a bass players $ fine for excessive growl in the jokes section? Maybe its an add......

Dave

9. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie, DR Strings, Fender, Source Audio & Fishman
    I use a little compression on loud gigs were there isn't much of a dynamic range and I want to make sure very note comes through. Most front-of-house guys are going to try to add it to your sound whether you like it or not. I never use it on Jazz gigs.