Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you consider 6 string players to be ERBists?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alex, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Simple question. I've always wondered this.

2. Sure, why not. I don't think that there's a really strict definition.

What about a 4 string with 24 frets? 28? 36?

3. Yeah, and if you tune in 5ths...there's lots of exceptions, but in general.

You know what I mean.

4. I don't, but I can see why one would... I see almost no 6 strings in stores now a days it makes me sad...my def is 7+ *shrug*

5. Yeah, I think one of the reasons that 6ers are ERBs is because there use is so limited nowadays. Everyone either plays 4 or 5. Our selection is so limited. The struggle we go through should earn us the ERB badge.

Speaking of "ERB badge" - does anyone feel that the term ERB has a negative connotation?

6. Don;t just vote on the poll, tell me your reason to vote, guys!

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Of course a 6er is an ERB. It has more strings than the vast majority of basses out there. 5's are still ERB's in my mind, as well. Its range is extended past the usual four strings we've had for centuries. I think basses with 9+ strings should be called something else, like, XRB's, maybe?

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It used to be, but nowadays so many people play them that I'd have to lump them into the mainstream category. I have two sixes, with another on the way, and a seven. I very rarely see anyone slinging a 7, or greater. I do see a fair number of 6s, 5s are almost as common as 4s where I am. I remember when I first started playing, back in the stone ages (80s), a five was considered an ERB. Then more and more people started climbing on the bandwagon (thank you Ibanez...:meh: ), and they were common. Sixes are at that point now, or very close. So I voted no. :ninja:

9. XRB's, I like it.....

But dude, 5ers are so common, how could they be considered ERB?

10. There is a GC and a Sam Ash within driving range of me. The Sam Ash has 2 6ers, and the GC has exactly ZERO. This compared to 30-40 4's and 15-20 5's at each place.

11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    OK, I'm dumb. What does ERB stand for?:confused:

12. Extended Range Bass

13. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    They're common to people on TB, but the vast majority of basses made and played in the world still have 4 strings. TBers are an enlightened, adventurous, and forward-thinking group :D

Most bassists still use a 4-banger and get nervous when contemplating extra strings. Go to a GC, count headstocks, and ask a salesguy--I asked one when I was shopping for a 5-string in December. I asked why they stocked more 4 strings than 5 strings these days when "everyone" plays at least a 5er, and that's the answer I got.

14. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    There were a bucket load of basses at the NYC GTG this past year, but out of that whole bunch, I believe the only 6's there were my FBB fretless, James' fretless Benevente and Brian's Elrick single cut. And the only 7 was my Conklin GT7. And that was it, unless I'm forgetting something. So, for me, 6+ string basses are still a fairly rare item, and that's in the NYC metro area ....... :meh:

Even the 5's were vastly outnumbered by 4's, so I have to disagree that 6's are common in the bass community. And once you get past 6, the herd really thins out fast ......

I believe that a lot of players get ERB's because of the novelty of it all, only to find out that they don't really have a need for the additional range or that they are having some issues physically playing these basses, or for some others, they don't have sufficient theory/background to effectively utilize the entire range of notes available to them.

All that said, in reality, what does it matter? The number of strings on a bass in has no bearing on the skill set of the individual playing that bass ........ :cool:

15. steve21

steve21 Banned

They're too common I think. My GC has at least two.

16. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I do consider 6 stringers ERB but I believe they sorta meet the bare minmun for an ERB. So yes, but its like teh lower end of ERB. I really want a seven stringer with 36 frets someday :bassist: !!

17. sublimate

sublimate

Jan 12, 2006
    The day Rouge, Peavy, Dean, and Ibanez starts churning out cheap 6ers is the day they'll cease being ERBs.

Oh, wait...

18. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Sure they're ERBs.. Of course I think anything greater that 4 strings with 21 frets as "Extended Range"...

19. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I think of 4 strings as ERB's. I mean, they have more than one note. Right? :D

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    to me ERB is any bass with a tuning that extends beyond E-A-D-G

sorry I brought it up again in the NAMM Beard thread :meh: