Do you consider Avatar as good as SWR, AMPEG...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Obsolex, May 13, 2003.

1. Yeah, times like 1000!!!!!!

9 vote(s)
  2. Yeah, there up there!!

62 vote(s)
  3. Almost, not quite...

49 vote(s)
  4. Avatars suck, idiot...

16 vote(s)
  1. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Do you consider Avatar as good as SWR, AMPEG... ect... _-soto-_
  2. I would say they are "up there". Ampeg and SWR are probably better, but Avatars are still damn good and a LOT less money then Ampegs and SWR. I think Avatars give more "bang for yout buck".
  3. Avatar produces a good, solid, quality product that will get you out of your bed room and into a working band for less money than any speakers I know of. As far as how they compare to brand x or y, that is a tough call. I've never heard a club owner tell me that they would pay me more money if I went out and bought a different brand of amp. I've never had a band tell me they would hire me if I had brand x or y. In the real world, your equipment either does the job or it doesn't. Avatar does the job and so does Ampeg and SWR and a host of other good brands. It all comes down to whatever makes you happy. I've played more gigs and made more money with a 60 watt Sunn 200S and a 2x15 cab than anyother equipment I own. I've retired it these days, but, if need be, it could still do the job.:bassist:
  4. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I gig with my Avatar 410 all the time and I have never had any problems at all. I just bought a CB112 for the smaller gigs and it sounds huge, clean and handles my 5,6 strings nicely. I'm thinking about getting another one before Dave changes the design again.:D
  5. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I love a good, common sense post!

Excellent post, Greybeard.

6. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Ultimately, it comes down to whether or not you like their alignments- every cabinet design has to trade off low end for loudness. Just because one company may use an alignment that I don't like, doesn't mean that company makes bad cabinets- they just make cabinets for someone else's taste or needs. I think the difference between what folks consider "good" and "bad" cabs is really how popular their alignments are and whether they meet the needs of the general public.

Most of the cab companies make a wood box with a speaker in it, and in almost all cases the speaker is made to their specs by someone else. I don't think there is any magic going on here that makes "good or bad" or makes one cabinet "better" than another. Avatar uses good quality parts and their construction is fine.
  7. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I like my Avatars, but there is no way that my 2x10 can keep up with the best 2x10 from Eden.
  8. bluebyrd

Jun 12, 2000
    How is their B115H cab? I need a cab to handle the lowest of lows, and don't want to go with a 2x15, that's just too big.

9. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I recently played a loud set in a gym using my stereo Carvin head, my Avatar 2x10 and a borrowed Eden D-210XLT. The Avatar by itself has a distinct, aggressive sound in the setting but not much of the deep low end. The Eden had an extensive reserve of low end, much more than the Avatar but in the gym it sounded rather indistinct and mushy by itself. The Eden and the Avatar running together sounded freaking awesome.

They're different, is how I would put it. They definitely complemented each other nicely.
  10. TheLarch

TheLarch Supporting Member

Primusdude nailed exactly my thoughts on the subject.

I have an older Avatar 210 (rear ported) and a SWR Goliath III Jr. Both are 8 ohm cabs that I team up with my Ampeg SVT-III Pro. The Avatar in no way embarrasses itself when I A/B them as it has a nice mid-rangey punch while the SWR definitely has more bottom to it. The Avatar sounds louder but that is likely due to how it is voiced.

Two great products that have slightly different purposes yet both serve me extremely well. Together, they are a perfect marriage.
  11. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    I have a Ashdown ABM 210 and just got a Avatar B210 which I run with a Ashdown ABM500 head and I agree that the Avatar stands right up there with the Ashdown. I have not used it at a gig but I did run them turned up high out in the back yard and liked the sound of each. With them together I am very happy, and a few $'s richer. I will always consider Avatar in the future!! Like maybe a B115 or a B212? No a B115 definatly...or a B212 maybe and a B115 and sell one of the 210's...???? Hmmmmm....
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Edit: Removed my embarrasing attempt at a joke. :meh:
  13. BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    If I play a line that is heavy on the low B string, I am not comfortable through the Avatar 2x10. With the Avatar 1x15 below it, it works well. BTW, I'm using a Hartke 5000 and employing the biamp option.
  14. fender58

fender58 Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Southern California
    It is funny. I hope you laughed a little bit...

I just tested the Ashdown 210 and the Avatar 210 outside again, turned up to eleven, and they both started to fall apart.

A guy walks into this bar and say's "ouch"...
  15. squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    Does anybody have a sound comparison between the avatar b410 and the eden d-410xlt? Any preferences between the two? Reasons for any such preferences? Thanks!!
  16. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I have a/b them. And came to the conclusion that I really wouldn’t want to spend 3 times the money on something that (IMHO) didn’t sound 3 times better. Did the Eden sound good? You betcha... Would I buy an Eden? Hell yea (they’re some of the best cabs made). But for me, Avatar's get the job done and I can use the extra money for other things :D
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Does anyone have any soundclips of an Avatar? I've been very curious to hear what they sound like.
  18. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I run both an SWR Goliath III and an Avatar b410 through my SM-900 amp, both together and separately. While the Avatar is a fantastic cab for the money, it is definitely not in league with the Goliath. They do seem to complement each other quite well when used together, but if I'm playing a small gig that calls for just one cab, the Avatar stays at home.

The one thing the Avatar really disappoints me on is in its slap tone. On the other hand, it has a simply beautiful tone on jazzy fingerstyle stuff when the tweeter is off or just barely on - a tone that the SWR can't quite duplicate - but the Goliath is still a better cab all around. It had better be for more than double the cost of the Avatar!

I would highly recommend the Avatar b410 to anyone starting out or on a budget - especially for someone who doesn't play much slap.

19. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    I have the exact same head and SWR cab. I was recently at an outside show, and I could have really used an additional 4x10 cab. So now I'm in the market. Do you regret spending the money on the Avatar, or do you wish you could have saved up more money and purchased another Goliath III cabinet? I hate throwing money after itself if you know what I mean. :)

20. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i love mine.

i gig with it all the time. in fact my harke is collecting dust