1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do You Consider Noel Redding A "Real" Bass Player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by de la mocha, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Yes! I don't care if he played the guitar too. He did a damn good job holding down the low end.

102 vote(s)
    77.9%
  2. No! He's a guitar player who picked up the bass and played it well.

17 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. I'm not sure.....

18 vote(s)
    13.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Noel Redding (25 December 1945 – 11 May 2003) was a rock & roll guitarist but best known as the bassist for The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Born in Folkestone, Kent, England, he was selected by Chas Chandler to join Hendrix's band in 1966, and left in 1969. Although he appeared in other bands before and after Hendrix's death, he never achieved a similar level of success, and retired to Clonakilty Cork in Ireland in 1972.

At nine, Noel played violin at school and then mandolin at about 12 and guitar at 14 years old. His first public appearances were at the Hythe Youth Club then at Harvey Grammar School where he was a student due to take his GCEs.

His first local bands were:

The Strangers: with John "Andy" Andrews (bass)
    The Lonely Ones: 1961 - John Andrews (bass) Bob Hiscocks (rhythm guitar); Mick Wibley (drums); Pete Kircher (vocals and in '63. drums). The Lonely Ones made (45 EP vinyl, private record) at the Hayton Manor Studio in Stanford, Kent, in 1963, with Derek Knight on vocals, Trevor Sutton on drums?, Noel Redding on lead guitar and John Andrews on bass. First recordings: Some Other Guy; Money; Talking About You; Anna.
    The Loving Kind: 1966 with Pete (Kircher) Carter (drums); Jim Leverton (bass); and Derek Knight (vocals).
    At 17 Noel went professional and toured in Scotland and Germany, in the clubs with The Burnettes and The Loving Kind.

Noel was the first person to join the Experience and that was by accident. He had gone to audition on guitar with Eric Burdon of The Animals and got the job as Jimi's bassist.

Noel went on to form Fat Mattress with another Kent musician Neil Landon (the former Burnettes-singer) on vocals, Jim Leverton from Dover and Eric Dillon, the drummer, from Swindon.

While living in Los Angeles. Noel joined Road, a Heavy Metal outfit. They released one album, Road (1972) Kama Sutra.

Noel moved to Ireland in 1972. He formed The Noel Redding Band with Eric Bell from Thin Lizzy, Dave Clark and Les Samson. They did two albums for RCA, three tours of the Netherlands, two tours of England, one tour of Ireland and a 10-week tour in America. This ended in tears after a dispute with their management company.

In his book Are You Experienced? (co-authored with Carol Appleby) and publicly he spoke openly about his disappointment in his being cut off from the profits of the continued sale of the Hendrix recordings. He was forced to sign away his royalties in 1974, and later had to sell the bass guitar he used during that time.

Noel Redding recorded and toured sporadically through the years, occasionally doing session work on other artists' albums. He performed with the legendary rock band Phish in 1993.

He died at his home in Ireland at the age of 58.

Noel has featured in many recordings over the years including:

The Loving Kind
    45s/Singles:
    "Accidental Love"/"Nothing Can Change This Love" (Piccadilly 7N 35299) 1966.
    "I Love The Things You Do"/"Treat Me Nice" (Piccadilly 7N 35318) 1966.
    "Ain't That Peculiar"/"With Rhyme And Reason" (Piccadilly 7N 35342) 1966.
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    Are You Experienced? (1967) Polydor.
    Axis Bold As Love (1967) Polydor.
    Electric Ladyland (1968) Polydor.
    Smash Hits (1968) Polydor.
    Radio One (1989) Castle Communications.
    Fat Mattress
    Fat Mattress (1969) Polydor.
    Fat Mattress II (1970) Polydor.
    45s/Singles:
    "Naturally"/"Iridescent Butterfly" (Polydor 56352) 1969.
    "Magic Lanterns"/"Bright New Way" (Polydor 56367) 1970.
    "Highway"/"Black Sheep Of The Family" (Polydor 2058 053) 1970.
    Road
    Road (1972) Kama Sutra.
    Noel Redding Band (AKA The Clonakilty Cowboys)
    Clonakilty Cowboys (1975) RCA.
    Blowin (1976) RCA.
    45s/Singles:
    "Roller Coaster Kids"/"Snowstorm" ( RCA 2662).
    "Take It Easy"/"Back On The Road Again" (RCA PB 9026).

Now, I hear some people say Noel is just a guitar player who played bass for Jimi. Other people say he was a great bass player. What do you think? A real bass player who held it down for Jimi, or a guitar player at heart who said "oh what the hell" and grabbed the bass?

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    As I recall he was basically told to pick up a bass. And he didn't do bad...

3. if he played the bass, then wouldn't that equate him to being a bass player?
    i consider him a bass player :)

4. +1, just because guitarists pick up a bass second doesn't mean they're not bass players.

5. Yep, for the Experience he did about the only job a bass player could do. IMO there was a lot of "bass playing" in Jimi's guitar work & Mitch was all over the place on his drums. If Noel had done anything elaborate, the whole thing would have fallen apart. He was the glue that held things together, & isn't that really the main point of the role of a bass player?

6. Budbear

Budbear Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Staten Island, NYC
    Truth!

7. yeah, i was going to say if anyone complained that he wasn't a real bass player because he didn't do anything interesting with the bass, and just played the root note, then i could name at least 10 big name players who just play the root note

8. well he played bass didnt he? so he was

but i think its safe to say he was more of a musician than a bass player

9. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    He was a total badass and his recordings have taught me oodles. Anyone who doesn't consider the man a bass player probably worships Fieldy. Redding will be missed.

10. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    By coincidence I was just thinking about Noel Redding this morning. He was quite an inspiration to me.

11. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    I think he is a great influence and towards teh end of his days with Hendrix he would get a Bass solo every concert and they were very great. Ive seen one on DVD and towards the end of his time with Hednrix he was a very great bassist and coudl hold his own. He did paly bass in alot of his later projects after FAt MAtress.

12. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Actually, Jimi did alot of the bassplaying on the studio recordings.

Noel did fine for his job, and I envy his Sunn rig.

13. elbarax

elbarax

Jul 17, 2005
    his bass playing is great and i don't mind him being a guitar player also

14. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    The story goes that he showed up at the audition thinking they were looking for a new guitarist for the Animals (Chas Chandler, Jimi's manager, was the Animals' bassist). He was introduced to Jimi and Jimi liked his hair, so he got the job playing bass with the Experience.
    Anyway, he did a fine job. True, Jimi played bass on some of the recordings, often when Noel got fed up with Jimi's perfectionism and left the studio after the 50th take of something. Not surprisingly, Jimi was more of an R&B bassist (examples that spring to mind: "Long Hot Summer Night", "Gypsy Eyes", "All Along the Watchtower", "Have You Ever Been to Electric Ladyland"); but as someone else said, Noel excelled at being solid, tasteful, and holding everything together while Jimi and Mitch flew. To me he's the absolute best example of a guitarist NOT playing bass like a "frustrated guitarist" (the standard problem) but like a true bassist.

15. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    He was a great bass player. It doesn't matter that he played guitar prior to that, especially if his musical endevors after Jimi Hendrix were on bass.

BTW, I have one of his Fender re-issue basses with his actual live signature on the pickguard. Not all of these re-issues have that pickguard signature, just a repro on the headstock.

16. bassbully43

bassbully43

Jul 1, 2005
    One of my all time favs...who cares if he rode the roots (he did not) he played tastefull and held down the bottom for a wild guitarist who took off at all times ...this alone made him special as a bass player he left no space or gaps and always was heavy RIP Noel.

17. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    A great bassist during Jimi's most creative years.

He and Billy Cox = great pick player vs. great fingers player.

18. MacGroove

MacGroove Brother of the Groove with a 'Pocket Full of Funk'

Oct 5, 2005
    Calif.
    Well put Doug. Noel laid out some great lines.
    I have noticed when a guitarist picks up a bass, they do have a different feel to the bass. Ron Wood, a guitarist, played bass on Jeff Beck's Truth album, and those too were some tasty lines.

19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Next you're going to be asking if paul was a real bass player. :rolleyes:

20. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Well... he does use a pick sometimes... hmmm...:p