1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you consider yourself a part of a community as a member of talkbass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Jun 11, 2019 at 11:25 AM.

1. Yeah, I am always looking out for my bass brothers & sisters and this is the place we connect

49.0%
  2. I suppose it is a community since we all share this interest, but I'm not really vested in it

22.3%
  3. Carrot cake

6.0%
  4. No, talkbass is a just marketplace where I have access to bass players

0.8%
  5. No, talkbass is just a discussion board - no one really knows me here and I like to keep it that way

21.9%
  1. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    There's been a few threads about flipping/selling gear and the line for what's ethical vs legal and the general vibe that I'm gleaning from those threads is that most folks don't look at talkbass as a community to build relationships, but rather just a place on the internet to talk about bass.

I've been a part of several internet communities over my life and stepped away from talkbass for a bunch of years. When I stopped actively posting for a long period (probably about 8 yrs ago or so) this place was very much a community - people pooling together to help out one another in need, hooking each other up with solid deals and in general it felt like there were real friendships built around the platform (in general).

I'm a big fan of community and everything that goes along with it and I'm curious what the consensus is about talkbass. In a community, people are less likely to try to have win/lose situations and more focused on win/win situations and the overall forest of the community so to speak - talkbass kinda seems like an every (wo)man for themselves kind of place lately when it comes to anything business-ish (and I'm a firm believer in not mixing business and pleasure - which is why I look at this as a community - bass for me is about pleasure, not business). So what does it mean to you? Community or just internet rat hole with a focus on bass?

TonyP-, jamro217, Keyser Soze and 3 others like this.
  2. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Definitely a community to me. I feel like I've made special connections with people I've never even met and generally find that most folks here want to help each other when they can. A little bit of snarkiness sometimes, but hey, all families have their issues. I wouldn't be a regular visitor if I didn't feel the community.

I remember having the same sense of community in a motorcycle forum I used to hang out a lot and actually have made a couple of life-long "face to face" friends through that forum involvement and hope eventually to do the same with this one..

3. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I consider TB to be a community in the sense that we can freely exchange our thoughts and ideas with each other with almost no risk of the dialog devolving into juvenile cat fights.

4. Oddly

Oddly Unofficial TalkBass Cartographer! Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I certainly feel it's a community.
    I mainly hang out in the OT section though, where you can find discussions about all sorts of stuff, not just bass, so maybe that's part of it.
    There's plenty of folks I've exchanged views with here that I'd be happy to meet with in the real world (so far I've only managed to hang with @the harp unstrung , which did not disappoint:D).

I also think our benevolent overlords, in keeping politics and religion (two of humanity's most damaging and useless inventions) out of here, help hugely in keeping folks friendly.

As for the business-deals-gone-wrong threads, I've noticed a few, but having no skin in the game, I've avoided them.

...allgood.

5. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Definitely a community! I've had members reach out to me with thoughts and advice and offers to help in various ways, and I've likewise reached out sometimes to others. Like any community, it's not without its problem children, but I think the moderators here do an outstanding job of keeping things from getting too far out of hand. It's hard to balance things like that sometimes but I think there's good reason why many forums flounder in the face of Facebook (ooh, nice unintended alliteration there) and this one is still quite healthy.

6. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    All communities have their neighborhoods, their marketplaces, their churches, their bars, their social clubs and their dark alleys that you probably dont walk down. If you say talkbass is a community then yes. Do members wake up, say hi to their neighbor, go to church, go to shop after, stop off at the bar and get a beer and scoot past the red light district...yep, if they are honest. Anyone of blatant or purposeful ill intentions usually gets flushed out and goes to TB jail (communities have prisons too) ... for the most part people are great here, but as an open forum anyone can walk through the door of the community center and participate in either a positive or negative way...they choose and then the TB community watch and TB police do what they have to do if the bad ones cause issues. So...again, yes...TB is a community and really operates like a real brick and mortar would. Of course, these are my opinions only.
    Rock on.

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Lol. You’re such a rebel :woot:

Btw, I noticed a post a while back that you forgot to end with :woot:

8. Community, fo sho! I look forward to reading posts from my favorite members, or getting feedback on my posts from everyone. I get bummed when favorite members get suspended or banned. I've reached out via PM for advice, and every single time members have been helpful. I have thanked members via PM for advice/posts, and even been thanked myself a couple times.

As far as selling, I sold for only a month. I feel like i got low ball offers on some parts, maybe because of my 0 feedback status. Or cause the parts weren't that great! But no skin off my back, i wasn't trying to make any money, just wanting to rehome some unused parts. Comparing to most other online retailers and resellers, TB members seem to offer low prices quite often. So right there I think there seems to be a "family discount" of sorts.

9. I love that smiley, use it often. It's the same face I make at my wife when I'm being a smart @$$.

:woot:

10. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    absolutely a community to me.

i've one person from the board who was letting me try a piece of gear to help decide if i wanted to buy it. i look forward to meeting more. i like to help out when i can, trade stories and... well... talk bass, as well as other less bass related topics. i introduced my husband to TB, and although he's mainly a guitar player, he hangs out on the luthier and repair forums.

btw, this was the first place i went to share when our beloved cat of 20+ years passed on, so definitely more than just a board to me.

11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I get a sense of community, and initially I joined because I had an expensive, niche-market bass I needed to sell. I started posting to kinda build a rep (or at least not be an account with zero activity short of an expensive classifieds listing). I've found that people are usually very supportive and willing to share their knowledge. I've had people offer help, insight, and share experience. I've been able to do the same. I've bought several things from the classifieds and it has been much more like working a deal out with a friend than any eBay or reverb experience I've ever had (and I sold instruments online for a buy/sell/trade music store for a decade). With rare exception most members here seem to have a genuine concern for other members, not just a shameless self-interest.

I wasn't looking for a community, but that's what I found and it's why I stuck around.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 8:49 PM
  12. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Evansville
    :hyper:Yes , because I have no friends outside of talkbass.

13. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Community! I love TB! For me it’s like the newspaper used to be!:)

14. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    I like this site. I like a lot of people on this site. Incredibly, I even learn new things on this site. But I mean, it's still, you know, pixels on a screen. I think "community" is kinda stretching it.

15. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    com·mu·ni·ty
    /kəˈmyo͞onədē/
    Learn to pronounce
    noun

1. a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.

2. a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.
    :D

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I've made several friends here, and also consider this an excellent sounding board for musical (and sometimes other It) questions. It's a great place to learn about gear, and buy and sell from a more reliable source.

I also occasionally get to have coffee stream out my nose from a good joke.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019 at 9:52 PM
  17. red_rhino

red_rhino Gold Supporting Member

I think it's a community in that I care about what I put out there.

I find myself wanting to be helpful and accurate in the advice and information that I provide, just as I have benefited from other people's advice and information. Almost as often, I find myself realizing that what I'm about to post doesn't add anything of value to the discussion, and so I don't post it.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    [​IMG]