1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you consider yourself a part of a community as a member of talkbass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Yeah, I am always looking out for my bass brothers & sisters and this is the place we connect

49.0%
  2. I suppose it is a community since we all share this interest, but I'm not really vested in it

22.3%
  3. Carrot cake

6.0%
  4. No, talkbass is a just marketplace where I have access to bass players

0.8%
  5. No, talkbass is just a discussion board - no one really knows me here and I like to keep it that way

21.9%
  1. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    I wouldn’t want to be part of any community that would have me as a member.

cosmicevan, Wisebass, Phud and 5 others like this.
  2. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    One more reason to think this place a community: When I see your "tiny asterisk" joke, I think, "Oh Jimmy is riffing on @JRA ."

JimmyM, Wisebass, Oddly and 1 other person like this.
  3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes. This is bolstered by both working hard behind the scenes to keep the site an orderly place and because I’ve attended many TB GTGs, putting faces to a lot of the names I see on here.

4. Surely, in Nov it will be 13 years :) I like the fact that when players new or old ask a question they are mostly greeted with helpful responses. Hey and what would you trust more an answer from Alexa about what pickups should I put in my ______ "choose a bass"? Or folks who have lived it and can share their first hand experience with that choice :bassist: that is only the tip of the iceberg, for what is shared on this community board :)

cosmicevan and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. groooooove

groooooove Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    it is definitely a community.

if we make a batch of "best bass for metal" t shirts, non-community members won't get it... simple measurement of a "group" or community, whichever you like to call it.

some of us are rotten old dustbags, but most TBers, specifically any i've done business with or met in person have been fine people that i enjoyed spending a bit of time with.

cosmicevan, bobba66 and Reedt2000 like this.
  6. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Sort of a loaded question. The sort of person that would say "no" wouldn't respond in the first place.

Wisebass, groooooove and TonyP- like this.
  7. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    Talking to people directly is not just vibrations in the air. It is the full-bandwidth experience: Sound, vision, context, the whole bit. Other than that, I think you've got it about right: "Community" assumes interdependence on some fundamental level. Participation here is completely optional.

Revolver likes this.
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I don't look at is a community. I enjoy reading some of the posts but there is a lot of misinformation here and a lot of repetitive threads (what's the best bass for....., should I quit my band?, can I run my amp with?, and so on). I rarely respond to a poll that has carrots as an option. I look at it as though the person posting the poll isn't really taking it seriously. I can honestly say that over the years, I have learned nothing that I didn't already know. Maybe it's because I've been playing for over 40 years and toured, played to crowds as large as 25,000 and currently do music for several popular television shows. Maybe it's the fact that I research things on my own or maybe it's my age. Like I said, I enjoy reading a lot of the posts but there is only one person on TB that I know on a personal level.

9. lizardking837

lizardking837

Jan 28, 2009
    It's totally a community. It's good to know that I'm not alone in being totally obsessed with an instrument I feel like I was born to play (but not make a living at...)

Plus, we have our own in-jokes...

cosmicevan, Wisebass and Reedt2000 like this.
  10. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    It's a whole ecosystem.

TalkBass and similar forums are the best thing about the internet. It's an intentional community centered around a creative performing art. Performing practitioners range from top pros to brand new tween learners. On the gear side, there are consumers, luthiers, sellers and buyers, engineers, technical experts and tinkerers. Folks who literally designed the amplifiers we play or who represent manufacturers chime in regularly. There are opportunities for complaint and CS. Lessons and legends.

I'm glad I joined, and glad y'all are here.

11. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Same thing as choosing "carrots." ;)

cosmicevan and Wisebass like this.
  12. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I see it very much as a community and conduct myself accordingly. I’m not overly concerned if someone else doesn’t see it the same way.

Most of the people I see regularly participating - and everyone here I’ve ever had business dealings with - seem to share that feeling.

As @bass40hz so neatly summarized* in an earlier post:

Maybe I have tunnel vision regarding TB.

Or maybe it’s just that I hang out in the nicer neighborhoods and social clubs I’ve found here. ;)

———————
    *Note - that entire post is a pretty succinct summary of what communities are and how they operate, whether they exist in cyberspace or physical space. The key factor that’s required before a community can form on the web is whether the site succeeds in providing a sense of physical “place” for its participants. And I think TB does just that.

It’s important to remember The Web is inly a mirror. And like all mirrors, some reflect what’s before them more accurately than others depending on the quality of their glass and the design of their creators.

13. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    I've got a peculiar bass coming in the next couple days(a peavey midibass), one of the talk bass members has the same bass and was quick to answer a couple questions. I'd say that that's the best part of this forum.

Communication is the core of a community.

cosmicevan likes this.
  14. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Hi Folks...

So not sure where to begin...
    The short answer is Yes to me TB is a 'shared interest community' %100.

I have made some close friends from that I have meet from TB and a couple of them have stayed with me at my house in Boston. I'm grateful for that.
    All "internet communities" have there issues, nothing is perfect. Unfortunately some of these issues have pushed away a couple of my friends away from TB I'm glad to see @wintremute still here.

Over all I think TB is a great place, I'm a lifetime Gold Member.
    If there is one thing I have learned working in the music industry, that a good portion of it is built on relationships.
    So as a extrovert I like keeping connected with the bass community and keeping the stoke level high.

Cheers :thumbsup:

15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i joined to be able to discuss a problem with a mod (epoxy pour) but stayed because of the "community." i became a supporting member in order to be 'closer' to the action (and because i thought i'd sell stuff --- which i haven't done :D ....so far).

this joint draws me every day! --- i have to check in with TB regularly throughout most days (after i check out the pics of my kids/grands on FB! ha!) just to see what is trending.

the good advice/counsel/wisdom/experience of others couldn't be bought anywhere else, so the price of admission gives us all a valuable resource.

i like to laugh when all is said and done and TB provides a lot of reasons to do just that! i'm not ashamed to admit that the fights and squabbles are entertaining, but the support for some members, at times, is touching...and important! ;)

you cats are great company! all but a few of you are invited to my next party! :laugh:

cosmicevan, 40Hz, Wisebass and 3 others like this.
  16. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    I'm sorry we have not had the change to meet at GTG, I take it you have not gone to one.
    If there ever is another one in New England you should go, it really is a good time.

Kmonk likes this.
  17. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    837A7FDE-A051-4DEC-9C3F-7823342C7EC8.
    @wintremute and I doing what we do best...Going out for Mexican food.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Definitely a community. I’ve been a member here since 2001 and a mod on and off for probably half of that. Would have stuck around if I didn’t love the place.

cosmicevan and MynameisMe like this.
  19. McFarlin

McFarlin Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Maybe if there was more cuddling.

I should arrange a GTG. The annual TalkBass Cuddle Summit?

No furries!

20. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I don’t feel a member of the physical community I’ve lived among for nearly 20 years.