1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you consider yourself a part of a community as a member of talkbass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Yeah, I am always looking out for my bass brothers & sisters and this is the place we connect

49.0%
  2. I suppose it is a community since we all share this interest, but I'm not really vested in it

22.3%
  3. Carrot cake

6.0%
  4. No, talkbass is a just marketplace where I have access to bass players

0.8%
  5. No, talkbass is just a discussion board - no one really knows me here and I like to keep it that way

21.9%
  1. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I most certainly feel like TB is a community. We all geek out, talk about, get on each other’s nerves, agree, disagree, share experience, tips, pointers and opinion about all things bass. And sometimes life. Maybe not so much in the public threads most times. But PM’s too.

I too have made a handful of what I consider friends now through TB. Some I speak to on occasion, some I talk to almost every day via text. A couple I even hand with on occasion and we jam out on new gear or just hang and chat. So yeah, for me, TB is def a community. I’ve learned a great deal from this forum. In many ways. It’s given me a lot of confidence to work on my own basses and do my own setups and mods. I LOVE doing stuff like this. These days especially. I’m always messing with one or two of my basses. I learned a lot about myself too seeing how I post sometimes haha I can be a little a$$hat at times. But I feel like I’ve learned a little from that. I used to be really active on here and make a ton of threads and post in the Effects forum a ton. I’m still on every day just not quite as invested as I used to be. But I still love TB warts and all. It’s one of the best, among the limited few, bass forums we can come to to talk about all things bass and be understood in that medium. It’s great.

So yeah, I love this community and I def feel like it’s a community and a place us bassists can all come and learn and share and grow from. It’s awesome really.

2. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I'm just impressed that there are so many reasonable, intelligent and interesting people that are bass players too and happen to post here. It's a community of reasonableness. Somewhat of an antidote to other b s areas.

3. I have social anxiety so I'll always be an outsider looking in. Since I love to play bass and love bass related things, I read the board often and when I post a question, I most always receive good advice. Maybe it's just me but it seems that bass players in general have a more warped sense of humor. Never disappointed on that front.

RyanOh, cosmicevan, TonyP- and 4 others like this.
  4. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

To me it's an extension of meeting other musicians or specifically bass players in person. I've met a few TB members before or after knowing they have TB accounts, and generally they are all very cool people.

It's a community in the sense that we share interests and can relate to each other. It's also like an extended family in that there are some drunk uncles offering their "wisdom", but they are well meaning for the most part.

cosmicevan, TonyP- and lizardking837 like this.
  5. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I feel like TalkBass as a whole is too large to feel like a community (to me) but there are forums and threads that I frequent, and those spaces are definitely more cohesive and “family-like”.

cosmicevan likes this.
  6. Definitely, yes. My own knowledge is strictly limited, but I enjoy at least trying to repay what I've learned from the good people here. Also, so far, nobody has taken the p*ss out of my ignorance. I've just made mention in another post of quite a few years running and helping to run forums myself, and the golden rule I've always tried to impress upon members is that there's no such thing as a stupid question if it's honestly asked. That rule seems to apply here I'm pleased to note. There is no rule to account for any of my stupid answers though.

cosmicevan and MynameisMe like this.
  7. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    Now that is awesome :)

wintremute and TonyP- like this.
  8. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'm always puzzled by people who feel that meeting in person is an essential part of getting to know someone or having a relationship. i'm part of a trade organization where lots of people feel that they have to meet people in person to do major business with them. they usually explain it as wanting to look them in the eye and shake their hand.

the thing is, i noticed something over a decade ago that those guys mostly haven't noticed yet. almost everyone i know who got ripped off met in person at an event and looked the guy in the eye while shaking his hand. and then got only part of what they paid for or paid someone who was so much less knowledegable than they claimed to be or thought they were that it hurt their customers' businesses. i know this because i am often paid to come in afterward and do the cleanup.

good con artists are very good at projecting sincerity, looking you in the eye, shaking your hand. people with social issues often aren't, so they can be misread, but they're often honest and nice. it's often easier for people to get to know them online first.

i've made very good friends with people online. some i meet in person, others i talk to on the phone or skype, some i email or pm and talk to on forums. many i've been friends with since the '90s. so to me, i don't need to look you in the eye or shake your hand for you to be a friend or for us to be part of a community. and we don't need to have shared views on everything as long as we're respectful and have other things in common.

at TB, we have lots of in jokes, often we know about each other - i talked about a bass i loved recently and several people remembered my shoulder issues and asked if it would be too heavy. on a build thread, people remember what my husband is currently building for me and that my husband is board member. and i got beautiful and thoughtful condolences, both on the thread about my cat and in PMs. we know about each others' spouses, parents, kids, marital views. when we buy new/used cars. what kind of house, condo or apartment we live in. lots more. that's more than i know about some people i know in person.

okay, rant over :D

wintremute, MynameisMe, JRA and 3 others like this.
  9. Just for the record again, I love Carrots!

Ok, yes I feel like I am part of an online digital community here because we're all on this site because we have things in common as not just bass players, but also sub-things such as fans of a particular bass brand, amp/cab brand, etc. A lot of good information is shared on here too. People actually meet up, sell things, etc. Fun is had along the way and occasionally there are some "wth" moments...so yeah just like a community.

cosmicevan, MynameisMe and JRA like this.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My sister teaches med students to be more human and she says younger folks are great as long as they are communicating through an electronic device but struggle when they are face to face. I believe the same applies here to a large extent, but i’m an old guy who was in my early 20’s when i saw my first real personal computer so i learned early the importance of community and personal contact and discovered i had little interest in either. As a result i have atrocious social graces. Some years later i was told by a shrink i was an asocial personality type, i have no inherent desire for human contact. As i age and move ever closer to my departure from this life i find my feelings toward others have changed little and still prefer to be alone. I have a wonderful wife who i love madly but her and my immediate family are all i need in the way of interpersonal relationships. I love everyone here for a variety of reasons but primarily because i can hold the whole thing at arms length.

Slinger likes this.
  11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I am a member of a carrot loving community

life just can't get any better!

cosmicevan, MynameisMe and Slinger like this.
  12. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I love Talkbass! I’m on everyday. You guys/gals have helped me spend a lot of $$! I enjoy the discussions and love geeking out with you all over bass techy stuff.

pcake and lizardking837 like this.
  13. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi cosmicevan :)

I have no idea what TB is (Community, marketplace, discussion board or kindergarten)

But I love it! :D It' s a lot of fun to be part of TB!

all-you-need-is-love-is-all-you-need-the-beatles-yoda.

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

cosmicevan, Oddly and wintremute like this.
  14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I first met Tony at a New England TB GTG that I flew to from Washington State. That GTG wasn't the only reason for that trip, but it did have a big influence on my trip planning. And I was also happy to make sure to be around when you were in Portland recently and wanted to hang for an afternoon.

As far as community, it certainly is for me. I've met literally hundreds of TB'ers face to face over the last 15 years, but even without that I'd still say the same. What I post and who and what I interact with publicly is just the tip of the iceberg, really.

cosmicevan, Oddly, wintremute and 2 others like this.
  15. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    97.835% people who claim this has happened are not being entirely honest. ;)

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Put me in the 2.165% minority...

It stings.

Oddly and Sixgunn like this.
  17. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2003
    Oakland, CA
    I've felt a strong sense of community since I started checking out the site in 2000 or so. It's certainly nice to have a place where we can all go to geek out and blow off some steam. It's been great to see the site grow so much since I joined. The sense of community is as strong as ever.

cosmicevan and Oddly like this.
  18. I feel it's a community, even though I don't know other members on a personal level. Most folks here are smart, knowledgeable, funny and helpful. I've learned a ton from being here, and I check in multiple times daily. I try to give back with my own experiences when I can. It's a great place!

Oddly likes this.
  19. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    Only in 'certain' threads

20. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Oh, yes I would.:woot: