1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you consider yourself a part of a community as a member of talkbass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cosmicevan, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Yeah, I am always looking out for my bass brothers & sisters and this is the place we connect

49.0%
  2. I suppose it is a community since we all share this interest, but I'm not really vested in it

22.3%
  3. Carrot cake

6.0%
  4. No, talkbass is a just marketplace where I have access to bass players

0.8%
  5. No, talkbass is just a discussion board - no one really knows me here and I like to keep it that way

21.9%
  1. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Different modalities for different people.

For example I’m perfectly comfortable interacting with people on either side of a computer screen. Real world F2F, vox communication, hardcopy written, or online all work equally well for me.

About the only time I feel the need to meet in person is if I’m hiring somebody. There isn’t enough bandwidth to conduct a proper and respectful interview purely in text. And I’ve gotten pretty good at reading vocal tone and body language over the years. Haven’t been successfully snowed or bamboozled so far at least. But that’s about the only time I sort of insist on actually meeting someone.

MynameisMe and pcake like this.
  2. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    This is an awesome community and I’ve learned a ton from everyone’s input. However, I personally know several amazing players that no longer post because people got weird. Keep it cool you cats!

cosmicevan and MynameisMe like this.
  3. Corevalay

Corevalay Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Me personally, I absolutely see TB as a community. I've met some very nice people here. I've had many fun conversations with people I've never even met, simply because we share the same interests. I've messaged complete strangers with questions and received thoughtful, helpful answers. I also tend to post my best pricing for any items I sell on here, and will usually be more flexible, especially with high feedback members. I genuinely enjoy this website.

cosmicevan likes this.
  4. The problem with "community's" like this is too many know it all's behind the computer. Will tell your their opinion based on what they heard without actual real world experience. You have to be careful what and who you listen to but you can gain some good insights on here.

TolerancEJ likes this.
  5. I definitely consider TalkBass a community. It fuels my desires of GAS and I know others suffer from the same affliction.

When the TB store had a sale on mugs, I needed to have one. Since then, I've been starting my mornings the way of the Low End.
    [​IMG]

6. True, but there have been some Get Togethers (GTGs) arranged through TalkBass. There was one in Vancouver, but unfortunately I was not able to attend.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  7. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Charlie, its always great to see You. There is a bass event in Oct in So-Cal and of course NAMM.
    I hope to see you at either one and of course my door is always open.

Cheers

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well thx for the nice words, Son Of, but Ampeg has been great and they don't have to supply me with everything they make for me to be extremely happy with how they've treated me. They're good people and have done a lot for me over the years. Besides, I'm running out of room to store anything!

Son of Wobble and EatS1stBassist like this.
  9. @wintremute Excited to see you liked my post. Will you be attending Summer NAMM in July so I can live vicariously through your pictures?

According to the NAMM site, there will be a Russia NAMM in September. Do we have TalkBass members to provide coverage?

wintremute and EatS1stBassist like this.
  10. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    I can't believe no one has mentioned @BassCliff 'a gig reports. Bringing people together online to talk about food and gigs. I've met quite a few TBers in the real world, and they're all pretty cool.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    LOL...nah, just trying to amuse myself.

12. It has a great community feel, once in awhile a snarky comment or two spoils that but that's the bottom line and will happen when you have many different people in one place.

Love the gig stories, jokes, gig reviews and seeing other bass brothers rockin it.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  13. Ffreddy

Ffreddy

Feb 14, 2011
    Its just a place to talk about bass stuff.
    Communities can talk openly about all subjects, thats not the case here.

oZZma likes this.
  14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Fair enough. But again, my point was not that YOU "need" free pedals from Ampeg.

Point is, you are Ampeg's secret weapon, and any time you can't recommend their product for the simple fact that you are not familiar with it,
    Ampeg has lost potential sales (plural). You could preview the pedal and give it away in a TB drawing and it would be even more win for Ampeg.
    I think the truth in what I am saying is both self-evident and indisputable.... but of course YMMV :roflmao:

Have a good, Jimmy, and thanks as always for your help!

Oddly, JimmyM and EatS1stBassist like this.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Always happy to help when I can!

16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I don’t think that’s completely true even in the real world. Our so-called freedom
    of expression has limits both under law and through community standards and social mores. And the USA and EU is about as loose about what you can openly speak about as it gets. And even in those places there are limits.

Freedom of speech, however, does not extend to “voluntary communities.” Businesses, social organizations and societies, church and worship groups, and web sites can all legally impose whatever restrictions on the behavior of their membership they deem appropriate.

Best way to think about places like TB is they’re like an open house get together some friends are hosting. You wouldn’t think of lighting up a cigarette in their house if you knew the didn’t want smoking there. Nor would you get into a heavily polarizing political rant on a hot button issue or pick a loud argument with another guest if you had any notion of good manners. So why behave differently here?

FWIW, different websites all have different taboo topics and degrees of tolerance for discussions of subject matter outside the stated areas of interest the site exists for. Although I haven’t always agreed with the way some things have been handled here, the fact remains the admins and mods rule with a pretty gentle touch here compared to some other places I frequent. Largely because there’s an understanding among most of the membership here about what’s not permitted. So to everyone’s credit, the need for enforcement is pretty rare thanks to this community’s own self-policing.

17. Ffreddy

Ffreddy

Feb 14, 2011
    Sure thing, just voicing my opinion.
    I don't blame the people running the site for not being willing to moderate on a level that would allow for more open discussions. Ive seen how awful the riff-raff gets as-is on here so I get it, trust me.

I don't consider myself part of a community if I can't talk about what I deem regular, non taboo subjects and thats pretty much the deal.

Its cool, talkbass is a place that I consider a great resource and would have loved to have something like this available to me when I was learning.
    I love that you can come here as a noob and ignore the search function, post a redundant question, get ribbed for it a bit, but in one page get two or three solid opinions on the subject.
    And Im sure that the standards of behavior expected here play a large role in keeping this place useful

I think of this place like a music shop.
    I don't consider every music shop I go to a community, but some I do.

18. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    Thanks for bringing up the point
    Also, I vehemently protest I can't use the proper word for "poopie" :rage::atoz:

19. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    I tend to avoid posts that are based on having to “win”. Mostly I’ll post topical experiences I’ve encountered, or advice on personal situations involving bands and band matters. Occasionally I’ll poke fun at conventional wisdom like, 40 year old flat wound strings are just starting to sound good, or Class
    D amps are the end all be all. In general, I try (I reiterate, try but maybe not as successful as I’d like) to be as uplifting where possible or avoid commenting on the thread.

EatS1stBassist and MynameisMe like this.
  20. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    OP here...thanks to everyone for the thoughtful replies (keep em coming). It is interesting but not surprising to see how the voting is going. It really does feel like 1/2 of us are really all in...the other half are here to share in bass chit chat or just cause its free to join so why not be on the internet (might be a buck to be made?). I guess it was smaller back when I used to be a heavy user like I have been lately but I definitely agree that certain threads and forums carry more of a familiar vibe as pointed out.

I guess the overall temperature of the world has changed as well too...and to the credit of the mods this is a place that for the most part wont tolerate any bad behavior (I've gotten my share of slaps as well). I miss the comrade of the GTGs though. There used to be an international one in NY and we actually got BassyBill(?) From london to fly out. I need to make an effort for the next one within a few states.

RyanOh likes this.