Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you consider yourselves better than some famous bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by juanpauribe, Mar 25, 2002.

1. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    For example, there are some bands that are good and famous and all but maybe their bassist is not that good. Maybe you consider yourselves better than some out there. If so, who?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't think music is a competition.

3. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    ouch...

4. juanpauribe

juanpauribe

Dec 16, 2001
    Colombia
    post edited by Cassanova for rules and regulations violations. (Dissrespect to another member)

5. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Yes because they would let a dumb person be a supporting moderator.

Use logic

6. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga

now that's not very nice - you went and hurt my feelings. :( you didn't read your usage agreement very carefully, did you? calling folks "dumb" isn't going to make you very popular around here, and i think it's safe to say that i'm one of the last people around here who's feelings you should try and hurt ;) - that's cool, though, i figure english is a second language, and you're doing a good job with it, better than i would in spanish, that's for sure. :)

the point of my post is that it doesn't take chops to make it big. why is this so hard for people to grasp?

here, i'll say it slowly,

chops not(=) commercial success.

you can have chops, and be commercially successful. you can have chops and be a commercial nobody. you can have no chops and be a commercial success. you can have no chops and be a commercial nobody.

and before you try slagging me again, i'd suggest you do something - check on the forum rules up above there.

thank you :)

7. Here's a *little* hint. You don't flame the long time moderators.

But I also agree that music isn't a competition. I consider myself always getting better than I was.

Isn't that what's important?

8. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I agree with juanpauribe. I mean come on, could some one with all those spikes in there face realy be all that smart:rolleyes: :D

9. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    duh, dat's wat dey said, george, dat's wat dey said!!

:D

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I'm better than Ezra... but then who isn't?

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Better at what?

12. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    Hey Juan,

I don´t think is a good idea talking in that way to a long time moderator who plays 7 string basses an has spikes in his face....

:eek:

13. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    Yeah im so better than like jaco, and wooten!!

how can you tell who is better anyway? it's all a personal choice. someone may think bill dickens is better than victor wooten, or vice versa. who cares. sure i probably have more technique than some famous bass players, but they are still imagainative and come up with good riffs.

14. Let me restate what someone else posted above: just because you are some Billy Sheehan/Les Claypool demon child with chops out the wazoo doesn't mean you are better than, say, the bassist from N'Sync's backing band.

For example, I recently caught a friend's band. Simple three piece, playing a lot of roots rock type material. But their bass player -- well, his *regular* band is some prog-metal act. Oh, he could hammer-on with the best of them and could play up and down the neck on all six strings. It just didn't fit what my buddy was trying to do. And I pointed that out to my friend.

My friend agreed, but bass players are in high demand around here, and this is the only guy he could find. I said I'd be happy to take his place -- and that's exactly what's happening.

Now, am I a better technical bass player than the other guy? Not by a longshot. My motto is "keep it simple." Am I a better band member? Well, I got the gig and Mr. Techno is out.

You be the judge.

15. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Better than someone famous? Maybe. One thing I am sure of though, is that not everyone that is signed and touring deserves to be.

Hey JT, I am also a huge Hellraiser fan. I haven't seen Inferno yet, but I wondered what you thought of Bloodline? I didn't think it was as bad as the reviews it got -- it was better than III.

16. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It would be ludicrous to judge whether I'm better than many famous bassists for this reason;

- the music/bands that have given them fame often don't allow them to display their true skill.

I've known guys who were only required to play simple lines onstage. If you saw them at a show, you'd walk away saying they were lightweights.

BUT, get in a room with them offstage or see them jam at a party and they played difficult music effortlessly and/or burned the strings off the thing.

All that aside, I got out of the "comparison trap" over 20 years ago and just focus on if I like what I'm hearing.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well what John is saying is that music is not necessarily a competitive sport and I would say that the point is to play what suits the music and makes the thing sound better - not to showcase your technique.

Also - the simplest bassline can often be the best and while we may like to hear some interesting lines - the vast majority of listeners couldn't care less what's happening in the bassline as long as they can dance to it! ;)

18. Kraken

Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I'm better than I was, but Not better than I'm going to be - I Hope:D

19. lowb

lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    Some of the best bands, don't contain the best mucicians, and some of the best musicians do not make the best music!!!

One of the hardest things to do as a musician is to break away from the mind set of comparison..........we need to to be "the best that we can be" not "better than that other guy"

I think also being a great bass player is not just about playing great............personality, stage perfomance, etc are all needed

Peace

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'm better than Sid Vicious was.

I might be better than Martin Lickert.

That's about it.