1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you consume High Fructose Corn Syrup?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rush-2112, May 20, 2012.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Very recently, I watched the documentary Food Inc. (excellent Doc.) for a Health Psychology course and even wrote a paper on it. As long as I can remember, I had never really looked at food labels as a kid. I just ate whatever my parents bought, it tasted good and that was good enough for me. Currently, for almost a year now, I've completely given up on foods that contain HFCS, because I HEAR it's bad for the body in large amounts (although there's difference of opinion). If you look at nutrition labels, you'd be surprised how many foods contain this ingredient. All I can say is I have lost considerable weight working out and eating healthier (giving up HFCS is just one part of it, I've limited other stuff). Plus Mexicoke/Kosher Coke made with real sugar taste a whole lot better than the regular HFCS kind if you ask me. I have become something of a health nut, I'll admit :D

Thoughts? Do you guys watch your HFCS intake?

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I tend to, but I'm not a fan of processed foods at all. Plus real sugar tastes better :)

3. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Aside from that fact that I haven't used anything but diet soda for years, I don't worry about it. I know very well that many foods contain it, but I don't go by hearsay - I go by hard science. Period.

People get excited about the food additive of the week - and two weeks later they're off to something else. Meanwhile they're driving with their knee while texting on their cell phones. Their priorities are wrong.

4. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I try to avoid it, but it is nearly ubiquitous.

5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I avoid it as much as possible, and I'm staying away from a lot of processed sugar, as well.

6. Make as much of your own food as you can from unprocessed ingredients, you will solve many problems.

7. ubermiguel

ubermiguel

Mar 18, 2012
    Edmonton, AB
    The documentary "King Corn" might be of interest to you. It's about the agricultural system, but looks at it through corn. It's amazing how much tax money, time and land go into making HFCS.

There's advice I keep hearing about weight loss: avoid liquid calories. Must be something to it, my problem it sticking to it.

8. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I avoid it as much as possible, I don't buy anything from the store that contains it. When dining out you can't really avoid it, because that stuff is in pretty much everything. But it's definitely not good for you. It's been link to all kinds of bad stuff, like the increased rate of diabetes and childhood obesity. Your body can't process for energy like sugar, your liver treats it like a waste product. I know when I cut it out of my diet I lost 12 pounds in two weeks, and I didn't change a single other thing besides that.

9. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Eat food.
    Less of it.
    Mostly plants.

Because HFCS is so ubiquitous, and mixed with other toxic ingredients, if you pledge to avoid it, you will probably eat less. Also, watching for it on product labels means that you are looking at product labels.

Amusingly, I've noticed that the foods labeled as "Contains No HFCS" typically contain an equal amount of sugar. Sugar (sucrose) is a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule, joined together. They are broken apart by an enzyme, and enter your bloodstream as glucose and fructose. The enzyme is quite efficient.

HFCS is a roughly 50-50 mixture of glucose and fructose, made from corn starch.

Nobody really knows if or how sugar and HFCS have different biological effects. My guess is that HFCS being cheaper than sugar helped contribute to present trends in obesity and diabetes, but that making sugar cheaper would have had the same effect.

10. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Really enjoyed "Food Inc."

Have a gander at "King Corn". Also on Netflix.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Mass quantities of ANYTHING will kill you. Stuff a lab rat full of anything, and he'll probably end up with cancer. Tomorrow, "they" will tell you something else will kill you, and you can start being afraid of that, too. ;)

If you try to eat a balanced diet, using common sense and basic health knowledge, there's really no need to spend your life trying to avoid the panic-de-jour.

12. jarrydee

jarrydee

Oct 22, 2011
    Michigan
    I love the little bottles of Mexi coke made with real sugar cane. But I also drink 2 cappuccinos a day and a 2 liter of pop (soda for yall south folk) and eat lots of fast food, weird thing is my weight has stayed steady for years now, must all be going to my heart.

13. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I try to avoid HFCS,...but I'm not militant about it.

Mainly it's just an effort to cut pop out of my diet.

14. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    In the last 20 years, the amount of sugar each person consumes yearly in the United States has soared from 26 pounds per person to more than 135 pounds per person. The average teenage male now consumes more than 34 teaspoons of sugar per day. Most of that sugar comes from man-made or "refined" sugars, which are from cane sugar, beet sugar, corn syrup and corn sugar, especially in the consumption of soft drinks.

Since 1983, sugar consumption has been steadily increasing every year by an average of 28%, fueling an epidemic of obesity, dental disease, diabetes and other health problems.

15. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I read this book about 20 years ago and it changed my life. http://www.amazon.com/Sugar-Blues-W...3129/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337535002&sr=8-1

Just watched food Inc a couple of days ago. Had to stop midway cuz it was just making me angry. I don't need to see that movie, people who eat lots of meat and processed foods need to see it.

I cut out all processed sugar militantly for a while, and then lightened up a bit. I don't believe I eat anything at all with HFCS, and I'm really conscious of any processed carbs I eat. My diet has been evolving for a couple of decades and I don't need any scientific or statistical proof. I feel a thousand times better than I did when I was 20, I'm in perfect heath, have tons of energy, and people always give me a "no freakin way!" when I tell them I'm 51. And that's not my genetics. I have 2 brothers and a mother and father for proof. I believe it's mostly because I've pretty much cut out the processed sugar, and I've learned to eat a lot more healthfully than the average american.

I highly recommend the above mentioned book. It's super cheap and well worth taking a look at.

16. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Exactly. I make most of my own meals from unprocessed ingredients. It's cheaper and it tastes better. Learning how to cook a half dozen simple dishes is one of the smartest things people can do for themselves. Make stew or chili in a large a batch and freeze it in small portions and you always have a meal on hand and there is no need for fast food or overly processed meals.

17. stevetx19

stevetx19

Sep 28, 2006
    Denton, Texas
    sugar is pretty bad for you too...there's a lot of politics involved in the hfcs v sugar battle- I choose to do what I can to exclude both. Surprisingly, I've had a much easier time buying things without hfcs than without sugar- its easy to simply not buy processed foods and sodas, but very few places will sell you decent bread that doesn't have sugar in it. Now i make my own bread. Eating out is where the real mysteries lie...

18. Phenylalinine?

19. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The arguments against HFCS have been mounting for at least two decades. It's only recently that mainstream media has been talking about it.

Adding the bit about bad driving and priorities is nothing but a straw man--it's easier for you to blow off an issue if you assume everyone's a hypocrite or has bad priorities.