1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you cook and eat turkey's year round ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 14, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Do you cook and eat turkey's year round ? Where I am living now we do with all of the trimmings since it can provide meals for days.

2. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    We should do it more... deep fried cajun turkey... mmmmmmm.....

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    nope, can't say I do.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

I have never been able to check out deep fried turkey yet but I hear it is great.

5. Yep, this weekend for Papa's Day.

Grilled Turkey, brined and seasoned, stuffed with Papa's Stuffing (hot turkety sausage, mushrooms, onions, carrots, apples).

Yum yum!

6. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Not really, maybe once or twice in a year apart from Christmas.

7. Ditto. Any more than that, and too laborious and makes the meal less special, imo.

In the meantime, we usually do chicken with all the fixings... hahaha.

Somethin bout that big bird tho. Tasty. I too have yet to try one fried... do you batter it too? ;)

8. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    We cook a small turkey (12 pounds +/-) at least once a month, with a couple of turkey breasts each month as well. We really eat very little red meat, mostly turkey, chicken and fish ....

Plus, each turkey yields a fair amount of meat, so we use the leftovers for the pooch, especially since all of the recent dog food scares. My wife would rather cook for the dog than subject her to potential contaminated food ..... :cool:

9. Same here. We substitute ground turkey for beef quite often, it is delicious in just about every recipie.

10. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Here you eat ham at christmas as you over there eat turkey. I've had turkey a few times at christmas though, but it's not that popular.

I cook turkey sometimes, but not whole ones. Only filets or so.. :) It's like chicken but slighlty bigger and meatier.

11. What about goose, anyone cook those?

12. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I've converted my whole family. We used to be the traditional, roast turkey for Christmas and Thanksgiving... now the turkey is my job.

My grandmother always says "looks like you burnt it" every year though. :D

13. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Inactive

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    When I am in the mood, I'll get a turkey. I have it about six times a year.

14. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I just think it's a lot of work for the meal. We'll maybe have one when there are guests over or what have you, but with all the trimmings, thats saved for Christmas...gotta keep it special!

15. Sure, once in a while. Not all the trimmings, though... we just treat it like an oversized chicken. Some spuds, some veg, and there's dinner...........and sammiches.........ooooooooooh, turkey sammiches....

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    YOU GOTTA TRY IT

I'll fry one right now, easily.

17. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    my parents cook it al the time...which means im stuck with it, but at least its good =)

18. Wesley R

Wesley R Gold Supporting Member

Yes, we have Turkey all year round.

Best of Luck,
    Wesley R.

19. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    I cook with ground turkey quite a bit, but the big bird only gets cooked for Thanksgiving.

My family used to do one for Xmas as well, but my brothers dislike of turkey has forced us to branch out. We have done Steaks, Crown roast of pork, Rib Roast, and Roast Duck.

20. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    a few times a year, although we haven't had one recently :( .

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021