Do You Decide By Democracy?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassGod, Mar 4, 2005.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    My band is doing a gig tommorow, at a club where most bands play metal, hard rock, and screamo type music. My band falls into the hard rock/classic metal category. Now, as most of you know, blink-182 recently broke up, and my drummer is a big blink fan. So he wants to do a 'tribute' to them, and cover one of their songs. My guitarist wants to as well, and I don't. I argue that at a hard rock/metal club, no one is gonna want to hear a pop-punk song, but they argue that majority rules. :rolleyes: I'm getting sick of the majority 'ruling', and I think a band should be run so that everyone is happy.

What are your thoughts on this? Is your band run by democracy, or do you make sure everyone is happy before a desicion is made? Thanks for any input! :)

Graeme :bassist:
  2. QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    yes, it has to be run like a democracy, but when it comes to picking songs, everyone should agree on what the factors are on how you choose songs. A TERRIBLE way is to let "everyone pick a few" - you should all agree on songs.

Here's how we choose.

1. has to be rock
    2. Has to be well-known (no obscure songs or small hits)
    3. Try and balance the decades (eg, not too many oldies. we don't want to become a classic rock band)
    4. And we have to have the right instruments
    5. we have to sound good doing it
    6. if we get no reaction after playing it out 3-4 times, it gets dropped

thus, we have no quota on who is picking songs.

however, if someone isn't getting their ideas through, we TRY and throw a bone. it's one song. If you see factor number 6, after we learn THEIR song, and it flops, it gets dropped anyway
  3. MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA

My prayers have been answered.
  4. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    :D Mine too!

QORC, thanks for the input, thats a good way of choosing songs.

BTW Another argument I had was that we usually play all originals, and we hope that people will like our own material, and get our name out there. I don't think doing a blink-182 cover will add to our credibility. I just don't feel that our set would 'flow'. I mean, we'd have a bunch of original hard rock songs, and then a three-note pop-punk song. It would just be... out of place, I guess.