Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you distort your flanger all the time?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Jul 14, 2005.

1. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    Hey guys, I was just curious on how you guys used flangers.

I used to own a boss bf-3 and thought that the effect was not the obvious, lush, jet-plane engine sound layered on top of my bass line that i thought it would be, like it is for g**tars. sold it along with the rest of my single effects whlie i was low on money and bought a boss me-8b

with just the flanger on, the flanging is even less obvious than it was on the bf-3 by a big margin, but once i throw in a little bit of distortion blended in minimally, i get that classic jet plane flanging on top of my bass line. too bad i have to mix in some distorted bass line also.

if anything its nice to be able to dial in 2ndary, tertiary, etc effects blended in minimally to weak the sounds for each stomp patch on my multi effects. something you cant really do with single effects. since i also like to have light distortion at other times with different settings. its almost like a set and forget.

2. Szipmonk

Szipmonk

May 11, 2004
    NYC
    I use my DOD bass flanger straight up. No distortion is needed according to my ears. It works for me, but it may not sound good to others. To each their own.

3. I get loadsa different sounds out of my Boss BF-2, goes from sounding really big fat chorus type sound , very subtle barely tell its there, to just a nice resonance thingy for feedback use.... And of course the jet going over sound is always fun to play around with......

Flangers are great, its also a really funny name. :hyper:

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have an old DOD stereo flanger that I've been using for a while and it works perfectly for me. I'v enever actually couple it with distortion, so I cant speak to that.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Always been a BF-2 for me, with no problems of course.

6. I was trying to sell this earlier, now I'm glad I didn't(or couldn't). You can lay it on pretty thick, but only the high end gets altered- so the low end stay clean & clear. Adding distortion w/a Danelectro Daddy-O is also a pleasant option.

7. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    I use just the flanger by itself, maybe with a little overdrive. The OD does seem to make the effect more obvious.

Multi-effects are cool, but they have just as many limitations as features. What if you didn't like the flanger setting on the pedal? That's why I'm a single-effects guy. ;)

I also have a DOD (FX75-B). It is definitely not the best, but it works for me. I didn't want to invest a lot in a flanger, and this one certainly fit the bill. :)