Do YOU do the 'chicken head' when you play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jaybo, Mar 1, 2003.

1. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    It's a condition that effects thousands of bass players around the world... the uncontrollable 'chicken like' back and forth head movement when one finds his/her so called "groove". Even fan favorites like Geddy Lee have the condition. So... do you do the chicken head?
  2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    sometimes.....but I'm more notorious for making funny facial expressions while I'm playing......which I can't even tell I'm doing.....
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't really do the chicken head but I do this thing with my feet that I've been told looks kinda the point where if I think about it I try not to do it.

Me'Shell Ndegeocello has massive chicken head syndrome (to accompany her massive groove!).

brad cook
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hmmm...I'm a pasty white boy, so any movements I make look uncool hahahah:meh: :(

I guess I do bob my head when I listen to music, mostly hip hop and rap though.
  5. LOL! YUP! I do it... And also nod my head like saying "yeah.. that's it!"..

(hey guys, help me corract get my vocabulary.. is nodding only used for saying "no" ?)
  6. hey luis, Nodding is for saying "yes". shaking your head left to right is for saying "no":D

I do have the chicken head syndrome, as well as this foot stomping thing i do (nickleback's bassist and rob deleo of STP both do it too...but they look cooler :meh: :D)
    If i REALLY get into a groove i donwright dance a little
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Anything Rob does just looks incredibly cool!

8. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I don't do it, but my guitarist has the chickenhead dance in a bad way... I did, however, use to pace in really tight circles, to the point where I almost had to buy a wireless on account of becoming tangled in my cable. I think it was due to new-to-gigging nervousness, because I don't do it anymore.

Now I just throw stuff at the singer. :D
  9. Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    of course i do:)

good ol` jason in his metallica days used to do it so hard I was worried about his head falling off:)
  10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    No, most of the time I'm told I don't move enough. They audience think I'm a wax mannequin the band has put in a corner just to make it look like the keyboard bass is coming from an actual bass player.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Originally posted by Nick man

Anything Rob does just looks incredibly cool!

Just learned how to quote:)
  12. Yes I do do the 'chicken head' and I also keep time by tapping my right heel not the toes:eek:
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    hehehe good job quoting :p
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Only when I'm in the mood to look dufus. Also when I want to vex the rest of the band. Or gross out the audience. Only at those times.
  15. It's not really a chicken head movement with me ...
    I've got more of a Thunderbirds puppet head thing going on. :eek:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Thunderbirds are go !!! :D
  16. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    LOL!! I have the occasional chicken-head bob, but usually its the weird facial expressions like Killdar was sayin.:D
  17. I have "fish-out-of-water syndrome" my head and shoulders go all over the place when I'm playing.
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Me too....

Or I tap my toes on the off beat. It really pisses off my guitarist when we play some of our slower stuff and Im using my fretless and sliding since I usually dont play on the beat for this kind of stuff and he has to look for visual cues from the band. Worst thing is when I switch from heel on the beat, to toes on the off beat. He's gotta get better at keeping time on his own.

19. OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    I've got the chicken head thing...

Does anyone kind of step back and forth while they're playing?