Do you dream bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JPDub, Oct 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JPDub

JPDub

Jun 6, 2018
    Poland
    Woah, just woke up after my first bass dream. It was pretty tame and unambitious - playing along to radio, and badly at that.
    What was your last bass dream?

ProgressiveDoom likes this.
  2. twinjet

twinjet Powered by GE90s; fueled with coffee. Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Because the link is shorter than my dream:

Musical dreams?

3. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    400px-Sigmund_Freud_1926.jpg

What do you think is causing these bass dreams? As a child, were you traumatized by a bass, perhaps? Or maybe there was an absence of a strong bass figure in your early years. Of course, sometimes a bass is just a bass.

J_Bass, rtav, Alik and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Just last night I dreamt that I was the bass player for The Rolling Stones' current tour. I was hanging around in the green room with the band, chatting with Charlie and Ron, and then we took the stage. I walked over to where I expected my basses to be, and instead of basses there were three road bicycles in various stages of completion hanging on the guitar stands! [Talk about the minutiae of dreams: I recall the bikes were 1) my Richard Sachs Signature road bike (i.e., a bike that I actually own in real life), 2) a Lotus-green Independent Fabrications, and 3) an unfinished (unpainted raw steel) Carl Strong.] As a cyclist I was thrilled...but as a bass player I panicked! I'm onstage with The Rolling Stones and I don't have a bass to play! Finally at the last minute a roadie walked over and handed me my old Steinberger L-2 and we launched into "Start Me Up"
    ...and then I awoke.

ProgressiveDoom, rtav and Alik like this.
  5. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Mine are always nightmares, not having pants on, spaghetti strings, being in over my head on stage with Michael Brecker etc.:woot:

fretter likes this.
  6. JPDub

JPDub

Jun 6, 2018
    Poland
    So detailed! Next NBD is 5 speed bass with 700C scale, double butted neck?

ProgressiveDoom and Bob_Ross like this.
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Reviewer: Bass Player Magazine
    Usually they’re either
    A. Me playing some awesome piece of music that I swear I’ll remember when I wake up so I don’t write it down and then (of course) I immediately forget it, or
    B. Some sort of fear fulfillment dream where my bass breaks or the neck gets damaged, etc.

8. JPDub

JPDub

Jun 6, 2018
    Poland
    I wonder whether lucid dreaming techniques would help with recall?

9. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009

;)

Good Luck!

ProgressiveDoom likes this.
  10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I have a few times.

The dream goes as follows. I am a member of a famous touring band. I both play bass and sing. During our tour we play Walnut Creek Amphitheatre in Raleigh (the nearest major venue to me and a place where I have attended at least 40 concerts....including Chris Stapleton just Friday night.)

We did a two-night engagement there. The first night was a regular show for my band. The second night was a "family reunion jam" of sorts for me. All of my favorite musicians I have ever played with got up and did a couple of songs. I'm talking about old friends of mine who have played with me in bar bands over my 30+ years of playing. It was televised all over North Carolina where I live and grew up. It was a sold out show. Other friends and family were backstage and out in front. My kids came out and waved to the crowd and danced during a song. My 90+ year old great uncle got up and played harmonica on and sang a blues song. The last time I had the dream a while back the show ended with my brother and I doing a duet with only him on acoustic and both if us singing.

The dream occurs about twice a year and varies somewhat each time. Also, it is very rare that I remember dreams. So that makes it double weird for me when I wake up.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    rtav likes this.
  11. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    I practice in my dreams fairly often, dreaming of playing different songs, different sections, etc. I can recall one from the other night where I was practicing Free Will in my dream on my old P bass, which was pretty cool.

I’ve dreamt of band situations (when I was in my last band), like recording, etc. I’ve never dreamt of playing a big gig or anything, just small mundane things (recording, practicing, etc.)

So, yeah, it’s not unusual.

12. ProgressiveDoom

ProgressiveDoom Guest

Mar 31, 2017
    About one month ago my wife was awakened to me strumming an air bass in bed while I was apparently talking numbers to our drummer. Strumming and communication :laugh: :bassist:

rtav likes this.
  13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I don’t have many dreams where I’m actually playing bass, I mainly have crazy gig dreams.

My dream last night: Driving 4 hours to the mountains to do a pickup gig. Got the call from a mediocre drummer I’ve done a handful of gigs with. The gig details weren’t specific, he mentioned a couple tunes as examples of the type of material we’d be playing.
    When I got there he asked me if a knew one of the songs and I told him I didn’t. He proceeded to flip out and make a rather big scene, meanwhile there was no PA, no other musicians anywhere.
    I bailed on the gig. I’ll spare you all the details of the logistical challenges I experienced trying to get home....it took me like 12 hours and every minute of it felt very real.
    I’m not allowed to talk to my wife about these sort of dreams anymore...it was nice to talk about it here.

14. vvvmmm

vvvmmm

Dec 6, 2016
    Chi
    Let's just say I was very embarrassed to face my bass in the morning.

rtav, J_Bass, bobba66 and 1 other person like this.
  15. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Twice I dreamt that I was in the SNL band. That was intense. The other recurring dream is that I'm sight reading a classical recital. That's just weird.

16. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I would have said no, but just this night I dreamt that I pressed on the neck so hard with my thumb that I just squished the thing in half. First was a small dent, then the whole width was gone. It looked like cake on the inside.

Which is weird because people tell me all the time that I play so soft and relaxed that I might as well blow on the strings.

17. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Yes. It's always a live gig. I'm really good in that dream. Really good. Sometimes I also play lead guitar in the dream and I'm really good at that too. But I'm never the drummer.

18. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    In my dreams I can never get the damned bass off the hook....................

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    porterbass likes this.
  19. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    My musical instrument dreams are usually about acquiring them.
    Like trading some furniture for an old reso & a semi hollow guitar.
    Or finding a rare or odd bass.

That kind of thing.

20. JPDub

JPDub

Jun 6, 2018
    Poland
    Well, last night's effort upped the ante. Somehow got invited to play bass for a Rolling Stones world tour. I figured I should say 'yes' and worry about learning the parts later. Too good to turn down. Still, a relief when I woke up tbh.

porterbass likes this.