Do you drink alcohol during rehearsal???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PICK, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Of course, doesnt everyone!

40 vote(s)
  2. Maybe......

43 vote(s)
  3. No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

70 vote(s)
  4. I drink petrol! Does that count??????

8 vote(s)
  1. PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    I have never understood why people would do this! If you do and think you have a good reason then please let me know!
  2. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    i voted the maybe option. i think drinking is more for jamming though, you can have a great time playing and being drunk as long as you are not paying for it ;)
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I'm not a big drinker in the first place, but alcohol really affects my dexterity. I can't play worth a damn after 3-4 beers, and since I am a Swede (we drink to get drunk, sad but true), drinking any less is IMO just a waste of cash. :D
  4. I've been in both situations, although we don't drink at all during practice in the band I'm in now.

Overall, I think you can get a lot more done if you don't drink and your practices tend to be more productive. I do think that drinking in moderation can create a more laid back and creative atmosphere that can be positive. The problem is you will rarely, if ever, be in a band where everyone knows how to drink in moderation.;)
  5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Exactly. My band doesn't drink during practice for just this reason. We do drink during gigs, however...:D
  6. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Drinking is for AFTER the practice.

Everyone I have ever played with, with the exception of ONE drummer, gets progressively worse with the more alcohol they drink.
  7. No - we don't drink at practice. Firstly we all drive so it ain't worth the risk! Secondly, I imagine it would be less productive.

As for gigging, we have a band rule that no one drinks before or during the gig. But afterwards - hey if you ain't driving what the hell!!!
  8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    We don't have any hard and fast rules against drinking (or anything else) in my band. But since the youngest member of our band is 35, we are all pretty much past that get drunk and jam stuff. We all have careers and kids to get up for the next morning plus we all have at least a half hour drive back home. As far as gigs go, I'v never seen any of us have more than one beer between sets. So yes there's alcohol but nobody is drunk. I can't imagine getting plastered then still have to break down all that equipment, load it up, get home at 3am then wake up with a hangover at 7am with my 5 and 7 year olds (which I do). No thanks, thats for the young dudes. Ahh the memories
  9. Depending on the night of the week I'll bring a six pack to practice but nothing more than that and I usually end up giving a couple away to a bandmate. We like to get work done but we also try keep the atmosphere somewhat relaxed and fun. We rarely get to the point where we are seriously impared anyway.
  10. During gigs or practise, I'd say no. I could see the point in it if I was just jamming with my friends with nothing better to do on a Saturday night.

No reason to let all that Vodka and beer go to waste. :D
  11. mecha hooch

mecha hooch Guest

Jan 15, 2002
    drink at practice not alot...but shows we get tanked
  12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No one gets loaded at shows or practice in my band. A beer or two is not an issue though.
  13. Drinking or doing any drugs for that matter just lowers the standard you set for yourself. It is completely unproductive, and can actually be quite counter-productive. Unless you don't take yourself seriously, drinking and/or drugs should have no place in your playing -

After, or while not playing is another story ...
  14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Boy, do I feel like an old man reading this. Amazing how much anti-alcohol sentiment there is in the world these days.

I have never had an issue with a couple of beers at rehearsals OR at gigs. I would be concerned about passing around fifths of JD, though :rolleyes:
  15. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When jamm loosely with no set project, I've been known to occasionally have a beer, though never more than 1. At my size, 1 beer does very little, particularly if I've eaten recently. But, if I'm practicing for a gig, going into the studio the next day, or trying to learn something new, or even just warm up for something that looms on the near horizon, I don't drink until after the show. In fact, I try to be pretty clean for a couple of days.

I still have my other vice: coffee.:D
  16. I voted no. Maybe it´s fun to drink a couple of beers while jamming, but I can´t play as I like to after drinking, and that´s really unconfortable. so no alchohol for me please.
  17. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    During practice, I would occasionally have up to two or three beers. During a gig, maybe three at the most (both of those figures are well below my limits of intoxication). I believe that practice is for practicing, not getting drunk and a gig is for showing your stuff, entertaining the crowd and getting paid, not for getting drunk and making an ass out of yourself. You wouldn't go to your job at the auto plant and drink beer after beer after beer, right?

My last band seemed to think that when the bar we were playing at threw in free beer for the band, we were obligated to drink as much of it as we possibly could. Also, practices seemed to be nothing more than an excuse get drunk, without the wives around to nag you (nobody ever got better, they just got drunk). It's pretty sad when the money you collect in the tip jar is specifically designated as the beer fund by three of the four band members!

No wonder I don't care that they didn't work out!
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't drink at all.
  19. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Hey Jeff, you look just like my across-the-street neighbor, Paul.

20. hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I voted yes. We get together and have a few beers during rehersal and it gets things going. Practice for an hour or two and if its still in me to go tie one on then I'll got out and kill it with my band mates. Its a job because there's money involved but we also like to have good time playing music.

With gigs its a different story. I haven't been able to get trashed at gigs in a long time because we're playing the whole time and I don't have time to drink. But if we're not the headling band then after we're off stage we make up for lost time. Its fun to get hammered with your local fans and friends:D . Its just rock n roll.......haha.