1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you eat at least one meal a day with your family at the dinner table?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fenderhutz, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. I am not currently around my family/or at school.

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I do and feel it's a necessary function of a family.

2. **** no dude

3. Yes.

Mike

4. fitbass3p

fitbass3p

Oct 7, 2006
    Madison, WI
    I did when I lived at home...now I live alone on the other side of the state, so it's quite a bit more difficult

5. You should make the drive, dammit.

Mike

6. I'm at school, but when I lived at home, I'd guess that we'd have family meals anywhere from 5-10 times a week (lunch and/or dinner).

7. LKdubby

LKdubby

Nov 2, 2007
    Los Angeles
    When I was younger and still living at home with my mom and step-dad we regularly had dinner, and I always had to do the dishes every night..

Now I'm 34 and my mom is divorced from my step-dad and both of them live in other states from me. So no..

Also I rent a room in a house and live with another family now, but there is little love amongst the current family members that I live with and they hardly do anything together at all, especially sit down and have dinner together.. :(

I actually really miss different aspects of my youth, and dinner time/family time is one of the things I miss quite a bit..

8. When both my mom and I are home, yeah, but not usually. We normally eat supper together, but lunch doesn't happen, and Thursday-Saturday, I'm barely at home, so... :p

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Son at College, Daughter a senior in HS. Wife works 60 hrs a week, I'm out 50+ hours including commute. I have season tickets to DC United matches, she (wife) is an active school volunteer (committee work).

There's little chance we'll be home at the same time. I kind of prefer a less formal dinner structure, personally. After years in the Hotel / Restaurant business, I got used to eating being somewhat serendipitous. I got used to eating standing up, and on the run.

10. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Yes.

And when I move out I'll probably make a point to force my roommates/friends to eat at least one meal a day with me. I like company, and after living in a house of seven, I don't think I can cook small.

11. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I think it's a great time to sit without any kind of major distractions and talk to my family.

No TV, don't answer the phones, etc.

I think it is ESPECIALLY important for my almost 3 year old to have this interaction and know the importance of family communication and oneness at least once a day.

I grew up in a household where my dad worked shift work and my mother was a nurse working rotating shifts so there were Holidays we didn't get to have this interaction and it was horrible. I actually have a slight resentment for family gatherings due to this and want to make sure it doesn't reflect on my kids upbringing because it wouldn't be fair to them :)

12. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Almost all of our important family events, upcoming stuff, problems, stories, shootin the bull, and whathaveyou are discussed at our dinner table. I think it is very important to have dinner/breakfast/lunch as a meeting place and discussion room.

13. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Banned

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    When I lived at home/when I come back for breaks, I try to do it at least once or twice. I think that kind of thing is more important when you're younger, or if you don't get a lot of time to hang out with them otherwise.

As it is, when I'm actually at home I'm usually swapping albums back and forth with my dad, so the fact that we're not actually together when we eat isn't a huge deal.

14. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    No I do not, haven't for years. Can't see it hapening in the future either.

15. Auditroph

Auditroph

May 13, 2008
    I'm not living at home, so no.

16. Unless I work late - but usually we eat Dinner together.

17. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Sadly, no. Not proud of that.

18. wazzel

wazzel

Dec 27, 2007
    Houma, LA
    Yes, dinner most every night, except when functions conflict. On the weekend we generally eat breakfast and dinner as a family. Lunch is when you get hungry since we are busy most of the day.

19. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    always.

We never talk though... everyone eats in silence. It's a bit disconcerting, really...

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd settle for once a week back at home, but that never happens. The kitchen table is merely a horizontal surface in which paperwork is spread, and we eat our evening meals in the living room in front of the TV.