1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you enjoy practicing/playing by yourself?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by CoffeeLove, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Yes

310 vote(s)
    70.1%
  2. No

33 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. Sometimes

91 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Marshmallows

8 vote(s)
    1.8%
  1. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

Ok, maybe it is just me, but practicing at home by myself is just not fun. I keep hearing people talk about the enjoyment they get from practice or the creative side of playing on their own at home. I only practice to learn new tunes for the two cover bands I play with, which is cool, but not fun. I am all about playing with other people, that is where the fun lies, feeling the groove in a band setting.

2. I have played in bands since I was 15, and have truly experienced magic moments on stage with gifted musicians. There just isn’t anything like that.

But I do enjoy practicing, learning new skills, or mastering a difficult piece by a mentor. Those aren’t the same as the stage, but without study and execution, there would not be those moments on stage.

Qlanq, pcake, Ron Simpson and 33 others like this.
  3. Sonicblaze

Sonicblaze Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I only enjoy practicing alone if I can crank up the cabs and stereo and really jam out. Feeling the bass and laughing at my mistakes makes it fun, and the more I learn the song the more fun it is to improvise and try different things.

Practicing with headphones I could never get into, I don't find that enjoyable at all.

4. If I get tired of playing something, I switch instruments. From bass, to drums, or guitar, or keys, or uke, etc.
    That will make you know, that you can always use some practice, and keeps it from getting boring.
    That being said, I have only ever been a professional musician. No day job ever. Playing music is what I do. I’m always playing. I’ve played 6-8 hours a day. Every day. Since I was 13 or 14. It never gets boring.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  5. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Yes I do love it. I use that time to relax and concentrate on things I have to refine but before I get to this, I do warm ups and technic drills to get to a state that allows me to do the fixing/refining of things. I also love doing transcriptions during my time alone with the instrument, it is a great opportunity to increase your skills and your vocabulary...

6. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I do, while I like playing with other people of course. I also enjoy playing by myself, allows me to work on new concepts and tunes without restriction, I enjoy the challenge of covering for the absent "band members".

Ed Melchior and CoffeeLove like this.
  7. If you read Zen Guitar, the author explains that we're always playing:

GUEST_7178ef57-7518-4ebd-8dfd-016fe2996bd5?wid=488&hei=488&fmt=pjpeg.jpg

8. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Coolsville
    I better, there's not much other choice right now. Seriously though, I actually do, because I get to work on whatever I want.

9. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    It's no substitute for playing with other people. I've been extremely unmotivated to practice, less so the longer i go with no gigs and no rehearsals. This is a horrible attitude and i am not happy with myself about it...

10. Zoffy

Zoffy

Jun 7, 2020
    Sacramento CA
    Yes, yes I do. I play in a band with some really cool guys who have the same musical tastes that I do, but I also like playing at home either along with songs or with a drum backing track (I'm a drummer, so I can just lay down the rhythm that I want). I like the freedom of being able to play the same song multiple times in a row - I can play "Girls on Film" or "Sussudio" twenty times in a row if I want - and sometimes I want to do that. I also like being able to experiment without being on other people's time. For example, the other day I spent an hour playing The Archies' "Sugar Sugar" ( a very simple song) but from a Phil Lesh freeform perspective. It was fun. It probably did not sound great, but for one hour of the day I had fun.
    For me, playing with others is enjoyable, but playing solo is fun too.

MarkJC8, Blankandson, timplog and 8 others like this.
  11. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I have a lot of fun playing with the guys and girls that im hooked up with now. For once they are exactly what I wanted...no drama, and friends first attitude.

I find it hard to get motivated to practice at home alone unless I have a goal I am working towards. Gig or a festival etc...

12. CoffeeLove

CoffeeLove Supporting Member

Man, wish I enjoyed it like everyone else. Maybe it is my life-phase and busyness level that makes practicing more distasteful for me. That is, I work 40-plus hours a week (non-stop work), have 2 young-ish kids, a wife, and many other things that require my attention. Maybe I should have put that as part of the poll, that is, do you enjoy practicing if you fall within those parameters? I do understand the value of practicing, but still no love for it.

theunknowndude likes this.
  13. Rob112

Rob112

Sep 9, 2015
    The key is you have to always challenge yourself imo and break up what you’re working on. Once it gets stagnant much like with a band it can get boring.

14. I like playing by myself so much haha :D

15. Steadfast

Steadfast Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2015
    Search Me
    I prefer my solo band. I loop bass, sax and guitar. At least we are
    On the same level. Lolololol. Well, except the damned robot drummers that never screw up the time.....

16. This past half year of physical distancing has been tough. I have been barely playing these past months... no gigs, no rehearsals... I try to self-motivate, switch instruments, but new energy fizzles after a few weeks. I'm riding out the low points, which I know will pass. The music practicing joy will return.

leftybass54, SubHuman and CoffeeLove like this.
  17. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada
    You can develop the love of solo practice. All you have to do is set your mind on it and find a way. If you do you will experience a surge in development and you can be an example to your children so they will learn the magic of merely touching their musical instrument from a young age. I am at the age when I don't play with others any more and even sitting for longer periods hurts, but I still love the practice. It can become addicting like twirling a pen or smoking a pipe.

timplog, Low Crow and CoffeeLove like this.
  18. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i'd rather play with others and be able to smile at each other when we all pull off a success after some brilliant stuff together. but as JGbassman suggested: getting ready for that payoff can be fun and rewarding, too. once you realize that it's both = limitless fun!

i voted "yes" because it's true, not because i prefer it! :D

Crispus and CoffeeLove like this.
  19. oranje

oranje Living deliciously Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2010
    San Diego
    Me, my LG 5, You Tube and my Cafe Walter. Hours upon hours going down musical rabbit holes.

20. Ruknrole

Ruknrole Got Tort? Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2018
    I don’t enjoy so much learning a new song at the beginning since I still have a long way to go with sight reading, but once I get it down, memorize it, and start jamming with the backing track it’s hard for me to stop. So I guess I do enjoy practicing by myself (and my virtual band).