1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you ever avoid planning things out?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Mar 14, 2013.

1. I'm going through a pretty interesting times as far as education, relationships, etc.....with the exception of music (of course).

So as of late I'm getting near finishing up my school's computer support certification, and then I should be on to taking my CompTIA A+ certification. I can't say that I'm unhappy about it (unless you look upon the fact that my class's materials the school must be trying to keep secret, seeing as both instructors have thick foreign accents. One of them puts down a whopping 1.2 score on rate my professor, lol. I'm taking networking essentials and beginners java.) but I can't say that I'm looking forward the best either. This is after all going to a school to be a music educator and getting borderline failed out because of professors' image scrutiny on their majors.

I'm still at the regular job, barely keeping my temper at bay after seeing the innards of my own business.

So where did I leave off? Ah yes, family. So everyone's asking about my plans; frankly, I usually shrug my shoulders and change the topic.

It's not defiance or attitude, but it's the feeling that if I try to plan something out , or to take advantage of the situation, it will explode in my face. Most things feel are little more than a scam (school included.)

My only real goal is to finish up, THEN when I actually have qualifications try and meet employers. Call me crazy (oh wait, everyone here does anyhow) but I just have this suspicion some overlooked jargon weighted aspect of a "job " in computers I'll end up will bite me in the ****.

Thus far is the list of things I've tried to plan out that have never actually become anything.

Lifeguarding.

Getting an originals band out from the basement and onto a regular stage.
    (This pipe dream in particular I've still held onto, probably at my own detriment. My covers band ended up falling apart last September. And I've been wanting to put together a grind/punk/whatever band again; being "solo" in my music right now is just plain lonely)

Transferring to a university to complete a music education degree. (I did graduate, downgraded my major tho)

Weichert real estate school.

And so on.

Anyone share in this ?

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It seems to me youre talking about life planning?

I put it off for a long time because Ive really never been sure about what I wanted to do with myself. Every few years/months some new flight of fancy enters my mind and off I go trying to find a way to make a living doing that, until I get bored or some other interest hits me.
    Its actually spelled out in my life path that I need to find a constructive use of my freedoms. All I got, the only interests that have lasted more than a few years/months are music and film. Lately Ive taken a large interest in gardening and would love to set up and maintain a community garden of sorts. Im not sure whether I can turn that into a means of making a living, but at some point Id like to try. I guess life doesnt pay out if you dont take some risks every now and again.

I dont need much, I live a simple life and Im happy with that. A place to keep warm and lay my head at night. Surrounded by the people I love. Thats enough. Doing something I enjoy to fund that, and continue playing music. Thats all I need. Where there is a will, there is a way.

3. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    as my father is fond of saying " life is what happens while your making plans" or something to that effect.

4. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    As I clicked on this thread a second time, that phrase occured to me.

5. Yea, life planning. I think of all the exciting topics, don't I? :p

You sound pretty free (in a good way; I sense it even from your posting); I got out of school in 2008 (2009 if we're talking official graduation bs).

Ever since getting out, I've found the only consistent work I've been able to find auto jobs (data entry twice/auction driver once). It's not bad if you're just looking for a check but taxes are so friggin high here I can forget about making an actual income to live off. So naturally change is in order.

The ironic thing is, despite the commitments I make, it always seems like there's never a shortage of some snag to negate whatever it is I've went for back to SNAFU.

6. Lol yea well if I stay in this company any longer plans are going to be what take effect as this place eats my life.

7. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I don't plan for anything beyond necessities.

8. Eh you're college aged. Natural.

9. qervo

qervo

May 18, 2011
    Funny . When I read the thread question I immediately thought "not since college "
    Just remember you can make plans all day long, but life always has a way to throw a monkey wrench in your plans. You will work around obstacles for the rest of your life.

10. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

11. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I guess Im fairly free, though I am tied to my job as a source of income. Ive been working here 8 years, and am making decent money. Enough not to just up and walk out. If I could make equivalent income elsewhere doing something I enjoy, though, Id be out in a flash. I dropped out of college at the end of 2004 and started working here.

I know what you mean. For the longest time, it seemed like every time I was about to get things in order and make things easier for myself - BAM - some sort of catatrophe arised to keep me right where I was. In time I started to look at things differently, and since I feel less like Im being held back by the obstacles that arise in life. In essence, I feel less like life is happening to me, if that makes sense.

12. Yea I definitely get that. Maybe I'm just putting down too many hours. Good as the classes are going I still have to get in gear for the real ****. But yet I wonder things like is all the networking knowledge I'm going to school for actually going to be put at legitimate use? Frankly the way it's presented (from a guy who can barely speak English, no less) makes me think learning how electricity runs through a cable and a random piece of hardware is less important than actually plugging it in.

My brain feels swollen after a certain amount of BS has been reaming it for hours on end.
    Three words: at what worth?

I'm making 11 dollars an hour to practically run a whole tree of (100+) retail locations who couldn't tell the difference between a sales invoice and a bank statement.