Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you ever feel guilty...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Brendan, Dec 1, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Do you ever feel guilty when you write a song based around an effect, then try to play it without the effect for someone, and have to sit there and go, "But it sounds really killer with a Chorus/Distortion/Tremelo ect"? Man, I did that, and felt like an idiot when my bandmates kinda looked at me funny when I played it for them, then had to say that, then they're "Riiight. Next song?" Of course, I'm getting a nice effects processor for Christmas, so that sould fix that (Digitech RP100, and a Dano Cool Cat too)

2. yeah i made a really cool bass line using my BOSS Bass Overdrive OBD-3 and when i showed them, i forgot i didnt have my pedal on me at the time, so i showed them with no effects, and they were like "o.....k.... lets try and do something else...."

3. i never felt guilty about it but if the song was inspired by the tone change the effect gives you'll never be able to explain it without. now that i think about it i don't now if i have ever felt guilty about anything, and you know what this is a pretty stupid question! . . . . . Oh sorry about that :D

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Brendan -

Whaddya do? Write your songs down at GC? LOL.

5. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I try NOT to base a song on an effect. I DO use effects, occasionally, but I use them to further enhance a song that I already like without them. I have seen too many times guitarists and (to a lesser degree) bassists, that "lean" on effects to "cover up" various inabilities in their playing.

6. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas

That used to make me mad. I don't like distorted bass and when I was first starting out all the guitar players in my area would crank up the dist. play a few notes and sound great but unless I nailed everything perfect I sounded bad,
    but now it doesnt bother me cause I nail everything perfect(j/k)

-cp

7. very funny, thanks i needed that :D

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well, Brendan said he was getting his effects for Christmas, so I figured he's using somebody else's right now to write his songs. And GC's probably got more FX than his buddies, soooo ...

9. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good call there Munjibunga!