Do You Ever GAS For A Bass Right After You've Just Bought One?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGod, Nov 6, 2005.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    This is weird, I don't now if any of you guys have experienced this.

About a month ago I bought a new bass to replace my old Squier, and I couldn't be happier with it. It has all the features I could possibly want (though I may add a Hipshot Extender), plays great, looks cool, and above all else, it sounds truly amazing...

But for some unknown reason, I have massive GAS for this bass:

I'm really happy with my bass, but I still want this one for some reason. I doesn't have any important features that my bass lacks, I just feel the need to buy it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal? Discuss.

Graeme :bassist:
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That bass in red with a maple fingerboard is one of my favorite fenders.

I usually dont gas for about 6 months.
  3. Oh, yeah! Every time I come here I see something I want! Even if I've just gotten a bass. There are times that the dogs get up and have to leave the room because my GAS is so bad! :D
  4. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Nah, it usually takes about a week. ;)

ps: in my opinion, that is the ugliest bass Fender makes.
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I usually get GAS after a week too. :rolleyes: There is always a rationale, if not a reason for GAS. When I had some pretty nice boutique basses, I would look at TV and see Pino Pallidino, Lee Sklar, or Marcus Miller, with pretty run of the mill looking Fenders or Frankensteins, and I would go: "dang why should a nobody like me have a Ken Smith, Alembic, or USA Spector when they are playing Fenders?" Similarly, I was playing sixes and fives, and I would see Stu Hamm or Victor Bailey, Marcus Miller, or Victor Wooten, with a four, and I would go: "who am I too have an extended range bass if these guys have fours?"

Sometimes GAS had nothing to do with any feeling of inadequacy on my part, I would just see a really nice bass. When I had a Ken Smith bolt-on six and a Fender Deluxe Jazz, four, I bought a passive ATK just because it sounded good and it didn't cost too much. Similarly, I was a bit disappointed because my Fender Deluxe Jazz had single pole pieces instead of double pole pieces; the single pole pieces just didn't have real "Jazz Bass" look to me.

I could on and on about my reasons for GAS. I think that for some players, GAS is existential, it is just part of our condition of being. I honestly don't think I can ever have enough basses to get over GAS. Economic realities have made me control it, and I'm not a baby: I don't cry over what I can't have. That said, I know that GAS is just part of who I am. I accept it and I know I just have to live with it. :oops:
  6. Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    Yup. All the time, and with no reason whatsoever.
  7. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    When I got my Spector the first thing I thought while driving it home was "Where can I find a fretless too?"
  8. +1, but to paraphrase, "Where can I find a fretless, or two?" :D :D
  9. hasadari

Jun 23, 2005
    Its an addiction that feeds upon itself.
  10. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001

All I can say is WOW!

I'm going to have that engraved on a plaque.

Even better, I tried to make it my TB sig, but apparently:
    "Your signature can not be longer than 200 characters"
  11. yeh i had a choice between a MIA Fender Jazz or the TRB1006 and i had bad GAS for the TRB, i got the TRB1006 and then i developed BAD BAD GAS for the MIA Jazz :-(
  12. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I have permanant GAS. I wish they came out with "Beano for Bass Players" or something. I'm already planning another one (shhhhh, don't tell the wife)
  13. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    what does GAS stand for?
  14. philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I went through about 12 basses in two years time, and I only started to play about 2.5 years ago. Too much money and greedy little eyes. Now money is short and the basses don't seem as shiny to me.

Stop looking and dig into the one you have. You'll discover variety in it from sheer practice. People like me buy gear because of the thrill of scroing a deal on something beautiful: not because we need it. It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase. But after awhile you are sitting in a roomful of pretty basses and you realize you only play 2 or 3 of them.

I still look at other basses lustfully because I like shiny objects that do things.

Spend your lust on something else after you get something you like.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    philthy is right. GAS is not about the kill but the thrill of the chase. Just remember that like a cokehead, your GAS will not go away the more basses you buy. If anything it will get worse. Next thing you know you have starving children and a wife who leaves you because you're out of control. You can either control your GAS or let it get the best of you.

Jerry Casale of Devo is a guy I can totally respect for his lack of GAS. In 1981 he bought a Steinberger graphite stick bass. To this day that's the only bass he plays, and I think it's the only bass he owns, too. Since I have more needs for different sounds now, I do own 6 basses, but for about 15 years the only bass I used was a 76 P. Still got it, too, although it's now a fretless.
  16. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
  17. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Gear Acquirement Syndrome
  18. Does it stand for "Gotta 'Ave Some" or something...?
  19. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    I think you hit the nail on the head here. It's definately the thrill of the chase. The days... the minutes before the latest acquisition is handed to you by UPS, FedEx, or DHL are the best 'cause you've got something coming. Once you open the box, you play it for a few hours, for a few days, and then it becomes part of the regular rotation. After a month or so, you start looking seeing others on TB getting their thrills, then it's on to the next one, and the circle starts over again. Sometimes, you'll buy something just to fill the thrill, only to sell it a few weeks/months later for something else because you find you just don't play it (for me it was fretless). The problem is, that there are so many talented luthiers out there that offer high-quality custom basses at reasonable prices.

That reminds me... where's my credit card?
  20. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My newest bass actually induced GAS.

I bought a Dingwall Afterburner 1 last June, and it's become my 'main' bass. By that, I mean, I haven't picked up any of my other 4 basses for more than a few minutes since I got the AB1.

But the brilliance of Dingwall's AB series is that its like crack for Dingwalls. It's "entry level" boutique in price and is very well constructed, finished and sounds great. But then you realize that while its a beautiful instrument...the other Dingwalls are the same, yet 10x more. You can tell that there's more finishing work, more attention to detail, materials and an increased palate of sounds due to more electronics options, wood options etc. . .

So, what's a guy to do?

Yup. Get a custom bass built.

Our drummer asked me about it last night...he assumed that I must not like the bass I have now if I'm so quick to get another one. Not true. I like it so much, I really want another one!