Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do you ever use rhythmic skeletons

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by chris griffiths, Aug 22, 2002.

1. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    ok so I have another question. actually I have a million so I'll just keep pushing my luck :). As a bass player do you find yourself thinking about rhythmic skeletons like for instance 2 3 claves or cascara's to come up with lines when the music is complex? like if you were playing in a latin group or afropop or a latin flavored jazz is it something your aware of or try to put in your playing? and if so what are the ones everyone should have a working knowledge of? I appreciate all your advice by the way keep cool:)

chris

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Chris,

I have done a fair bit of latin playing over the years, and do occasionally use a clave as the beginning of a tune - it normally gets lost fairly quick, but it can be the genesis of an idea... :)

As for cascara patterns etc. I haven't used them, but it'd be a great idea - there's some excellent material in Funkifying the Clave about latin rhythms, that I've used a lot.

I do often have some sort of rhythmic signature for a tune before I have a harmonic one though - depending on the kind of loop that begins it. Often is just setting up a stereo delay with odd time things going against each other...

as for what to learn - as much as possible!! get those latin ones down (I've heard that The Latin Bass Book is excellent), and then experiment... :)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk