Do You Ever Want Another Bass for the No Good Reason?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Man I want to get another bass, even trade in my current basses just because. I would mind another 5, but i really like what I have. I just wnat another bass. Am I just bored or what ? Seriously, I know I would come out short if I traded but I still have the urge.
    I really wouldn't mind getting a Yamaha TRB1005 but I would lose money with a trade but I really can't afford to let go of the cash. I hate these kind of impulses!
  2. Ray-man

Ray-man Guest

Sep 10, 2005
    Yes, that's the best reason - the no good reason.

I have yet to use that excuse successfully. :D
  3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    All the time. I have a couple of perfectly good basses that I sometimes just wanna sell and get something different.
  4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Happened to me when Wolfehollow started posting shots of his first Marchlewski. Now I have a Marchlewski 5 string. Happened again when I went to GC on Memorial Day to get a microphone cable. Now I have aBongo 5 string. Damn, I'm fickle.

5. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Heck yeah, sometimes I just want another bass just to have a different color!

You only live once man. If trading for a different Bass makes you happy, then go for it. The lost of $$ (if reasonable) in the big scheme of things, is nothing.

In my opinion, switching basses inspires you to play more, thus making you a better bass player because of that extra time spent playing. Just that alone is worth a few $100 loss.

Just my opinion of course...
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    There's always a reason.

Sometimes you just have to look a bit harder than others.
  7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

it's one of my biggest problems ... G.A.S. :D
  8. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Denver, Colorado
    All the's called "G.A.S". It often happens when you hear one of your favorite players.. My wife makes fun of me all the time about it. I'll see a bass player I like and then "Hey, I need one of those".. She's says it's an obsession but it's really more like a disease. :bassist:
  9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I own 20 electric basses, 1 double bass, 1 pedal bass (not an effect pedal), 2 acoustic guitars, 1 electric guitar, a mandolin, a banjo, a lap steel. Who needs a reason?
  10. etb67

etb67 Far Out Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2005
    Yeah I know exactly what you mean. On a recent trip to GC there was a Stingray there that caught my eye. I don't exactly have the $$$ to buy it outright, so I considered trading my current bass for it.
    Why would I trade a perfectly good bass (and lose $$$ in the process) for another bass? I walked outta there quickly since they didn't have the strings that I was actually looking for.

But that Stingray was nice........... :smug:
  11. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    my advice--get another, but keep what you have. You may need to save your money and delay the gratification, but my experience is that any gear you get rid of you'll spend a lot of time and money later trying to get back! Especially 25 years later!
  12. I would like to win a bass. Then, I wouldn't feel bad about buying it or having it bought for me. (Just so you don't get any ideas, just 'cuz I'm a kid, 17, doesn't mean I don't buy my own gear.
  13. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You're gonna play it, right??? How much more reason does one need???

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

"For variety's sake" is a perfectly valid reason!

And variety can mean just about anything: a different tonal color to tickle your ears, a different visual color to dazzle your eyes (or match your pink zoot suit), etc.

I have two Fender RB5s. Sometimes I have flats on one. But even when both have rounds: one is blue, and the other is gold... that's enough for me. :p
  15. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Staff Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Yeah... I think I accidently bought a Geddy Lee the other day... everyone needs a backup bass right?!
  16. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes. If i ever come across a pre 98 warwick thumb b/o i will want it very badly.
  17. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Isn't wanting basses for no good reason what this forum is all about?
  18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks guys, I feel much less like a loser now. :cool: I may go for the TRB1005, I like the feel of that neck and I had good time when I had a TRB 6 years ago.
  19. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    On the other side of it.....I used to do the same thing over and over, like many other TBers I have burned through a lot of money buying selling and trading. One day I bought a Lakland Joe Osbourne I didn't know it at the time but it's the bass for me, the sound and the feel (I don't care to much either way about looks).

I'm not looking to endorse Lakland my point is if you had the perfect bass you'd stop looking obviously you don't! I have since sold all my basses (except the first nice bass my parents bought me which has sentamental value and my NS EUB for upright gigs).

Now I can focus on my sound not reproducing others sounds! Jaco sounds like Jaco, Stanley sounds like Stanley etc......Find yours!