1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you feel REALLY tired after a band practice?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Apr 21, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Ive just come back from a band practice, and i feel really tired, i mean i dont get really tired if i game or work for too long, but if i play bass for a hour or more i feel really tired.

Its probably because so much energy goes into it when your playing and stuff, but its still kinda unbelievable, im sure id be just as tired if i went for a run or something.

Anyone else get this really tired after a practice(ive never done a proper gig before, but id hate to imagine how that would be)

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I'm usually tired after practice, but that's because I work all day, then drive a half hour to practice at 6:30-7:00 and I don't get home until 11:00-11:30PM.

If your tired after an hour of practice, try hauling all the gig gear in at 7:00PM, set it all up, be ready to play by 9:00 and then play for four hours, then tear it all down, haul it all back out and drive home at 3:00-4:00 AM (the next morning). :eek:

Take good care of your health, and just do it. You'll get used to it. It's not so much how much time as it is the hours musician's keep. Think of it as doing a double shift...working all day and night (if you have a day job).

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's the loud noise that wears you out.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i get pretty tired after a long band practice

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    This is definatly true. Ear plugs let you walk out of a rehersal or gig (yours or anyone elses) with a clear head. When I go to other peoples gigs and drink (don't drink at mine!), wearing ear plugs is like having two less beers over the night! It's the difference between feeling wrecked and feeling good.

However I rehersing/giging IS hard work - it's the combination of working physically and mentally. I teach as a day job, and a rehersal is a lot like small group teaching - you have to be constantly alert, listening to what's going on, ready to react. It's great fun be really tiring. My wife used to say I had it easy because I only have to face students a few hours a day - then she got a part time teaching job, and it totaly wiped her out.

Anyway - I digress... I also find that after a rehersal I'm totally wrecked - getting home about 11:30, but I'm also really wired, and can't go to bed until about 1. I need an hour or so to wind down.

Ian

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Yeah, I get that way sometimes. I find that eating something helps.

Joe

7. Just got done with about a 3 hour practice right in my bassment so no epupiment needed to be moved but I am fine right now. My ears hurt a little bit though. The only thing is that my fingers hurt a little bit.

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Same here. After a rehearsal or gig, my body is tired but my mind is racing for awhile. Also, like the Bob Seger tune...I have the amplifiers ringing in my head for a bit.

It's tiring...but in a good way.

9. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    hell yes! thats strange you mentioned that because i just got home from a long 4 hour practice and im ready to collapse into bed

10. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    How old are you? Do you exercise? What do you eat? I am 47 years old, and I feel pumped and excited after a good practice. My hands and back may be a little sore, but I feel juiced :hyper:I also run 15 miles a week and lift weights.

11. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

well, the reason im tired is probably because its the easter holidays here, im 14 and we havent been to school for about 3 weeks. so basically ive just been at home not doing much apart from going out for a walk occasionally. I practice a reasonble amount, but i dont do it for really long periods, i take breaks. so band practise is probably the longest i ever continuously play bass.

12. I am just back from a 6 hour practice. I feel mentally tired. But im gonna practice for 4 hours tonight aswell.

13. Kasper007

Kasper007

Feb 9, 2006
    Belgium
    For me it helps a lot when I can sit down so that I don't feel that constant weight around my neck and my back.

14. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Definitely mentally tired.

15. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

After 4 hours of band practice (the minimum we practice for), I'm utterly knackered. So are most of the other members.

It takes it out of you... the loud noise, the brain work, the vocal work (if you sing), trying to arrange songs, any slight arguments you might have etc... it exhausts you mentally rather than physically!

16. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i get tired DURING practice. lol!

17. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    usually just mentally drained.....

18. FriscoBassAce

FriscoBassAce

Dec 29, 2004
    Frisco, Texas
    Independent Manufacturers Representative
    Man I get pumped! It gets late and then we have to stop, and I'm always the one that wants to keep on going!

If I could rehearse or gig several more nights a week, I would be in heaven!

19. babs1234

babs1234

Apr 19, 2006
    PHOENIX, AZ
    thats definatly true, especially if your drummer loves using his cymbals it wipes you out and your ears ring for the rest of the day which bugs me a lot and i dont know why

aafter practice i just wanna take a nap but we eventually jam some more for another hour or 2 lol

20. I sometimes really burn up my fingers practicing. Esp when doing the same parts over and over until the drummer can find the groove. I find tha washing dishes of all things really helps. With VERY HOT water. Its part thr sen mindlessness of doing dishes part finger therapy. I also got into isotonics years ago. Guitarist friend lent me a book. I now am constantly stretchjing and exercising my fingers even just walking down the street. I mostly get tired of the band quitting before I want to. I really hate that! They protest they are playing harder or have more of a job to do. I think you all know a plethora of retorts to that.