1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you feel uncomfortable with your accent when you travel ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 30, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

Do you feel uncomfortable with your accent when you travel ? I personaly do not. I was very suprised when I was in Ireland and I was asked if I was from England. I dont think I have anywhere near an English accent or word selection. I do have several friends from down south (USA) that are very self concious about their accents whille visiting in NY.

2. ElectrAcoustic

ElectrAcoustic

Aug 29, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Not really, though I have found that if I stay in one area for a while I tend to take on the accent in that area.. kinda a subconscious thing. I do remember it working to my advantage in my single days on tour though.. girls on the west coast loved the Boston accent so I played it up even though I don't have much of one normally....

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I don't have an accent.

It's the rest of the world that does.

4. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I just have a generic "American" accent after living in so many different places in the US. I'll quickly pick up the regional accent of wherever I happen to be.

When I'm drunk, I'll revert to my native Minnesota, yah, you betcha.

5. I'm american, I don't have an accent, everyone else does. :p

6. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    I got one of those slight texas drawls mushed in with a little georgia redneck, so I sound pretty ridiculous to anyone outside the deep south, but I'm never subconscious about it.

In fact, I get one hell of a kick crankin' it up a couple notches just to see the look on some Yank's face. :D (erm, no offense to all the yanks here)

7. They were probably taking the piss ;) Us Irish like to do that!

8. I'm more worried about my fellow travelers' accents.

9. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    Yes a little, especially for my mother tongue Swedish. I seem to try to adjust my accent closer to the accent of the one I talk to. It's actually pretty stupid, but it comes more or less automatically as I've grown up and lived in areas with very different Swedish accents, both in Sweden and in Finland.

10. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    If I am, it's news to me. I can affect several different accents, from Texas twang to New Jersey ADHD, to Albertan, to Indo-Pak, to Scot, to Irish, depends on the situation. Also speak jive at times, you know- old skool. I guess it depends on how much of a rise or laugh I want to get out of some people.

11. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Nah.

12. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    No. I am from Northeast Ohio. We have no accent.

13. louieeadg

louieeadg uncle petey?

Jun 13, 2007
    outer banks, nc
    Or so you think...:eyebrow:

14. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    i'm not from the US (english is my native language), and people still have a hard time understanding me.
    in a professional setting, i do my best to speak slowly without seeming condescending. mostly, i don't speak. if i have to, i will take on a bit of the yankeespeak.

people have made really rude comments in the past about it, and that pisses me off. things along the lines of only american english=well educated. kinda ironic.... :)

15. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Oh yeah. How often do you use the world "hella" NoCal boy. :eyebrow:

That's a hella cool bass. :rollno: :spit: :D

16. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Californians don't have an accent. It's the standard, thanks to Hollywood. :bag:

17. rap138

rap138

May 29, 2007
    south of Spain
    I'm living in England for 7 years now and I have a strong southamerican accent, so being self conscious is something I forgot after one year, after that you just get on with your life.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    lol.

To be honest, even though I desperately want to, I've never really traveled. If I do though, I wouldn't be ashamed of my accent (which I have become slightly more aware of talking to people from the US.) It's not like, thick Corner Gas-style Canadian accent, but it's there.

Canadian, however, is not in any sense a sexy accent. No sir.

19. Not all norcal people use the word hella. Only the "valleys" and if you don't know who they are, then you probably are one. :p

If you are from the Santa Cruz County, you wouldn't be caught dead mentioning that word.

20. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Because the Lost Boys will getcha. :p