Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you find SNL funny anymore?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Mar 8, 2006.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to say I dont, I have caught reruns of the past 5-7 years and I think it has gotten progressively worse. I sat through an episode of a recently aired episode within the past year and I didint laugh once, it wasent funny at all.What do you guys think ?

2. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I saw the Natalie Portman rap thing from last Saturday, it was the funniest thing that's been on SNL since Will Ferrell left, IMHO.

3. THey should just stop making new episodes and start reruns of the first 5 seasons............

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    No. Sometimes it hurts to watch, and I'm old enough to remember the premier episode.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There were a lot of good episodes in the Phil Hartman, Jon Lovitz, Mike Meyers years.

bc

6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    there's the occasional funny gem...i really liked the chronicles of narnia rap.

7. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Yeah that was funny, didn't watch the episode though, just saw that online. If anything is actually funny on there it get's posted online, which is rare, the last thing was that narnia rap.

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    The guys that made that though I don't really consider to be part of SNL. They'll always be The Lonely Island to me.

9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Absolutely not! No cast IMO can top the first few seasons. I will say the Hartman, Carvey and Billy Crystal years had their moments, but there is no originality anymore. Most often, it borders on embarrassing.

10. JansenW

JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    SNL talent as varied over the years (never as good as their golden years). I feel their talent is limited by SNL writing.
    Their writing has steadily gone down over the years. Today, the best writers are doing other things.

11. Heck no, SNL has not been funny in ages. It has its moments, but it is pretty much not worth watching. I wait for the good bits to pop up on good ole' internet.

12. I think a lot of times they focus way too much on pop culture and mocking whatever pop artist is the flavor of the week. I know there has to be parody to a point on a show like SNL, but they way overdo it, week after week. I sometimes wonder if the show is just a vehicle for the writers to get back at famous people who have snubbed them or that they're jealous of.

13. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    SNL was only funny with the original cast. And the 89-94 casts.

That's it.

14. rarely...i think snl dropped off right about 96 or 97.

15. I stopped watching it a couple of years ago because it was so horrible...I occasionally watch a classic episode on E!, though.

16. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    nope:spit: as said, the horse died almost ten years ago, they just wont spot kicking it.

17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    That show is still on?

18. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    I've watched SNL since season #1. Today, the show is as strong as ever. Proportionally, were just as many crummy skits in the first 5 years as there are today. Y'all suffering from the "the good ol' days" syndrome! But I admit, there are some seriously BAD skits today and I fast forward through them (The Prince Show, the talk show with the host that plays Timbales....). There are klinkers, but there were bad skits in the 70's.

19. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I believe that they need to take it off the air for a few years, let people forget how poor the writing has become, and then return with the biting political satire that made it worth watching in the first place. Are any of the current cast, and I can't name one, on the fast-track to a movie or independent career? That may be a telling significance. Chris Parnell is the only one I can think of and he is not funny.

20. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Ive seen some of the older episodes, and while I think that things have gotten worse, its not by much. They probably need some better actors and maybe some better writers... but its still watchable. The whole European family thing is pretty stupid. They finally stopped with the Debbie Downer skits.. those got awful. I sort of miss the Falconer.
    Whatever, though. Its better than Mad TV and its on for longer. Im going to continue watching it.