Do you find that you like "ordinary" things?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by two fingers, May 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    64.2%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  3. Of course, "it depends" ...and your question is dumb.

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
  4. Only the fanciest of carrots will do for me.

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    First off (and it's sad that I have to say this), this is in NO WAY an attempt to put down those who like "special" or "fancy" things.

I find, lately, that I have a fondness.... more so than most around me.... for "ordinary" things.... even when I can afford what is generally considered "better".

One of my all-time favorite foods ever is a grilled burger. Throw in some sweet potato fries and/or steamed broccoli and I'm one happy dude. It might just be my favorite meal.

Add a Bud-Light beer and I'm grinning from ear to ear. I have tried every craft beer you can name and they are all horrible to me. I don't need a "chewy" beer with a "fruity note" (whatever all of that means). I have had people at shows buy me all of the "best" beers. I have had to choke down a few to keep things friendly. But I'll take a Bud Light, thank you.

I can't wait to get my first sip of Duncan Doughnuts coffee (the big bag from Sam's Club) fresh from my $29 Wal-Mart coffee maker every morning. I have attended meetings and events, or stayed at resorts, where really expensive coffee is served and, frankly, I don't care for it.

I have tasted just about every wine on Earth. A girl I once dated spent a Summer in France living with her aunt... a wine critic. She tried everything to get me to enjoy a wine we could both drink together. The only one I was even able to swallow tasted like Kool-Aid to her.

I have been on very expensive vacations to exotic locations. Give me a weekend at the family beach house in little ole' North Carolina every time. Disney with my girls? Woohoo! The more exotic, the less I enjoyed it. My perfect vacation away from home? Let's go to a cook off in Texas featuring live bands. Let's go to Nashville and hang out with locals who know where the "real" good eating joints and off-the-beaten-path live music joints are. (I could spend three days in the Musicians' Hall of Fame.) Take me on a tour of Chicago or Kansas City blues clubs.

I once held, and played a few notes, on one of Stanley Clarke's Alembic basses (the one he recorded School Days on if I recall). I felt like I was holding Excalibur, and it was obviously a well-crafted instrument, but I HATED the way that bass handled. Give me a 5 string P bass with a chunky neck and I'll rock or funk you to death.

I was recently offered a great deal on a fully-loaded luxury sports car. I wasn't really interested, but I went over and drove the thing. The person offering the car to me was literally offering me a "gift" of a deal. I could have flipped it for thousands in profit. But I didn't want to take advantage of his generosity. I drove the car. I didn't like it at all. It was complicated to drive. It was complicated to operate. It can't carry a bass rig, my kids, or any of their gear we need for a road trip. My full-sized four-door pickup with a camper shell gets it done.... and can yank a tree out of the ground to boot. I told that guy to sell it to his nephew, who I knew to be more of a "car guy".

An uncle of mine owns a shoe store. He offers me great deals on great shoes. He knows I'm into lightweight low-top hikers for daily use. I have tried on $300 shoes and none of them fit me well at all. Some vented Merrell Moabs or Keen shoes get it done all day long. Throw in some inserts from Walgreen's and I have happy feet.

I love a good pocket knife. I have a small "collection" of <$40 pocket knives that really get the job done (many from Wal-Mart or the bargain cave at Cabela's). A knife enthusiast would scoff at my daily carry knives. I use them for everything from a screw driver to a wedge.

I have done several kayak tours with some local clubs. All of those guys have really nice kayaks that slice through water and cost several thousand dollars.... along with paddles that cost several hundred dollars. I have an off-the-shelf sit-on-top kayak I bought used and paddles I got on sale at Dunhams for about $50 (maybe even less). They have super nice life jackets. Mine is a Body Glove from Sam's Club. (I usually tuck it at my feet anyway. I'll grab it if I get ready to tip over.) They even have these super fancy "kayaking helmets". Yes, there are kayaking helmets. I wear some sort of ball cap to keep the sun out of my face. One guy even had some "kayaking shoes". I wear my hikers for launch and then tuck them in the little cargo net and go barefoot until it's time to come ashore. They have the most complex racks on top of their vehicles.... with special straps for kayaks. Some of them look like space antennas of some sort. I have a rack on top of my camper shell. Some scrap 14-2 Romex (wire used in the walls of your house) is what usually holds mine down these days.

I have a five acre yard with four acres of grass. All my neighbors have $10K +/- zero turn mowers and can cut their grass in about an hour. I own an old Craftsman 54" lawn tractor that I bought used from my dad for a few hundred bucks. I can cut my grass in an hour and twenty minutes. I have tried to use one of their mowers and they just feel "weird" to me. Who needs to cut grass at 35 mph? I got a couple of passes done in my front yard and had to return my neighbor's mower and whip out the old Craftsman.

The point is, I find that I tend toward more "ordinary" things. I don't make a point of it. It's not a "lifestyle choice" or something I do intentionally. In fact, I just recently noticed the trend in my life.

It's just that many of my favorite places, foods, and things I use daily are... "ordinary".

How 'bout you?

Swerve, Groove Doctor, JLY and 10 others like this.
  2. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    You, sir, are a lucky man.
    You've found the secret of happiness. (Well, one of the big ones anyway.)
    I'm in almost complete agreement with you on all points. (I'm a little bit fussy about my coffee.)
    I think you and I would get along just great.

And I have a sneaking suspicion there's gonna be a lot more posts in agreement here.:)

two fingers likes this.
  3. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I like it all, as far as food and drink goes. I like a $120 bone in ribeye and I like a $2.50 frozen Salisbury steak. I like Coors light and I like fancy micro brewed whatever. I go cheap for most other things. Cars, clothes, house ware and such. I’ll happily drive a corolla and wear tshirts and jeans for the rest of my life.

4. you know yourself. That's a gift not many achieve.

two fingers likes this.
  5. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I like stuff. I like some ordinary stuff, but Sushi is the food of the gods, and it has to be fresh. I seem to prefer really beautiful women, but there's a chance I may be shallow. I like my Mazda Miata better than most BMW's.

ghostinthemach and two fingers like this.
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Wait though; I have to add that I find a great many more women to be beautiful than some people do, based on eyes, attitude, smile and other factors!

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Mrs.Fingers and I can tear up some sushi from a local joint. I have no idea where it would rank as far a sushi enthisiasts are concerned. It's somewhere in the middle price wise. But, yeah, I do love some sushi.

Plus, you managed to correct me out of the gate. Nothing "ordinary" abour Mrs.Fingers either. :D

ghostinthemach and MattZilla like this.
  8. dwm74

dwm74

Nov 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can totally relate to many things in the OP's post. Knives, mowers, basses/guitars among other things he mentions...ditto here.

I'm not loaded by any stretch but I do well enough to afford some of the finer things in life. But having been down that road before, where I indulged myself, the overwhelming majority of the time I realized there's a line of diminishing returns, where more dollars spent doesn't equate more satisfaction or happiness.

I'm into astronomy. Started off with telescopes in the $300 range, eventually moved up to the $800 range. Then, because of my astronomy forum being eerily similar to TalkBass as far as gear-heads are concerned, was convinced I needed a premium scope in the $3500 range. Bought one...was not as wowed as I thought I'd be, and sold it two years later, happy to go back to my $800 scope.

Same principles (and experiences) apply to most other things in life. Live and learn.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    two fingers likes this.
  9. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    I can definitely relate to most of this excepting just the beer. Give me a glass of water from a good well or give me whisky.

that's fair. Even a delapidated na miata is more direct and has near enough the same power to weight than most beemers made after 2000, and most pre-2000 BMWs' adhesives and plastic is drying out and falling in. Bonus: it doesn't have that stupid blue and white roundel everywhere.

two fingers and Oddly like this.
  10. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Cue up Lynrd Skynrd.
    Me, I'm all over the map. For some things, my preferences run to "fine". My Zon bass - that suits me perfectly, and if I had it to do over, I'd buy it again. For other things, my preferences are easily met.
    The main thing with me is that once I find something that "fits" (bass, archery gear, car, etc) I don't feel the need to keep trying other stuff in case I might find "better".

I used to say that I was a simple man (because I can be satisfied with simple pleasures).
    In our early days, my wife used to argue with me - that I am not simple. (Then again, complexity is a virtue to her).
    One day one of my long-term ex-GF's was visiting. Beth (wife) said "He likes to say he's a simple man" and I said "I AM a simple man".
    CJ (ex-GF) cracked up. When she stopped laughing she said "Yes, you're a simple man... in a complicated sort of way".

slobake, two fingers and Oddly like this.
  11. Sheesh , it appears I'm all over the map on this one. I can enjoy a Rolling Rock beer as well as a craft beer that Seahag (my lovely wife) and I get at a local place in Ocean City Md. Don't mind a Guinness Stout from time to time either.
    We've done scuba diving vacations in Grand Cayman , the B.V.I's as well as some cheap stuff in the Fla. Keys and the Gulf Coast in Fla and enjoyed them all equally. My personal favorite these days is the cheapest hotel on the Boardwalk in O.C. Md.
    I'm just as happy to get a sub at Jersey Mikes as I am to hit up a really classy restaurant. We do both on a regular basis.
    Here's where twofer and I agree completely. Give me my '95 P.U. truck with 320,000 miles on it or my little '85 Firebird. I have absolutely no use for any of the fancy stuff they are putting out these days.
    My house was built in 1950 and the only upgrades I've done to it was install a a new tub and shower diverter , replace a leaking bathroom sink and install a dishwasher. Since I'm a plumber , that was no big deal at all. I put in a slightly damaged one (can't see the damage) that I got for free off of a job site. I have three window unit A.C. units that keep the house cool and my electric bills are way less than my neighbor with a central unit.
    I have some money stashed and could easily upgrade my lifestyle but I just see no reason to do that.
    Oh wait,,,,,,, I do have an SVT Classic head and a couple of 8 10's so I guess that I am indeed living the high life.:thumbsup:

12. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    I wouldn't call it a dumb question but of course it depends on what we're talking about. In some cases the "ordinary" isn't good enough and in others it's fine.

13. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    I live out here on the West Coast. California. And here on Highway 80 there's a sign that says Ocean City Maryland 3000 something something miles.

two fingers likes this.

14. Yup , just take Rt.50 headed east and east and east.............;)

two fingers likes this.
  15. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    Right Highway 50, My Boo Boo on Highway 80. Is there a sign out there that says Sacramento 3000 something something miles?

16. Longest country song ever

17. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i tend to like 'simple' and many times that is also 'ordinary'. congratulations on your self-awareness! :thumbsup:

two fingers likes this.
  18. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Reminds me of this song. :)

two fingers likes this.
  19. FingerDub

FingerDub Inactive

Jan 8, 2016
    My semi fu-fu shi-shi ex wife would always try the most expensive, exotic thing on every menu we ever ate at, and always ended up eating half of my tuna melt. :roflmao:

FilterFunk and two fingers like this.
  20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Budweiser taste on a champagne budget...sure beats the alternative!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021